"Badminton Asia" mag at S$10 each

Discussion in 'Singapore Open / Malaysia Open / Chinese Taipei Op' started by maxwellian, Jun 11, 2006.

1. maxwellian

maxwellian Regular Member

Saw the inaugural "Badminton Asia" magazine selling at the S Open for a princely S$10!
    OK the badminton market is pretty small but selling at this price is like commiting suicide. How many fans will buy such an unknown mag at this price? Good effort, wrong approach/strategy.

2. aquaboi

aquaboi Regular Member

yep, too pricey...what were they thinking?!!!:confused: and i didn't...wouldn't buy it at that price! crazy mktg people, they should fire them all:D

3. Xanify

Xanify Regular Member

My friend bought two and gave me one. It's quite worth it actually. Loads of info inside. They had this picture of a blue coloured badminton court. So cool.

4. LouisW

LouisW Regular Member

Unfortunately, I have bought 1 copy during Gade VS. Chen Yu.

Well, I'm quite disppointed about the contents of this magazine - No articles about teaching basic technique, no user review about racquets (Boring) :(

My personal opinon about this magazine is that the contents is not well organize/planned. I guess the author is not a badminton lover.

BUT I'II STILL WAIT FOR THE NEXT ISSUE WHICH IS 2 MONTHS LATER AFTER THIS SINGAPORE OPEN.

P/S : SGD$10-00 is rather at a high side But RM 18-00 is just nice for Malaysian.:D

5. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    LOL
    BC and BF beat that hands down, the price too
    LOL

6. Xanify

Xanify Regular Member

I think they covered more about tournament information and they also had some reviews about players like Lin Dan. I don't think they'll be doing basic techniques. But I think that the user reviews about badminton equipment will come soon in the later issues.

7. jermaine

jermaine Regular Member

student
    i find that the editor really needs to change everything about the mag. some information they provide about badminton are mostly general knowledge.
    i think they should do more interviewing with top players like lin dan or taufik and ask for their own opinion.

and another addition, always INCLUDE a POSTER of a player each time! that will made it more worth buying

8. maa2003

maa2003 Regular Member

you meant the first issue ? coz I have seen this magazine after Thomas Cup final around end of last month at 10&10 ......
    the auntie there offered me ....... but I didn't buy that time, maybe tonite at Jurong Point.

if you are fans than price is number 2 .... he..he..he..

9. EastDevil

EastDevil Regular Member

What job?
    $10 is cheaper than many other magazines. Smaller circulation, higher cost per magazine. If people do not support it, they will simply close shop. It is good effort and good strategy so far for a start, it also targets only sensible customers with a realistic idea of costs and economies of scale. Unless there is a large enough circulation, the costs will not go down. If people go cheap and don't buy, they simply cannot afford to carry on and improve. The badminton market is not small, its just that too many people take things for granted and expect it free or dirt cheap.

If you could produce something better and cheaper, please do so as the badminton community would love a better alternative. Until then, its probably what we have for now. They are far from ideal, but its better than thin-air talk.

10. taufik-ist

taufik-ist Regular Member

it administrator
    expensive 4 indonesian pocket :)

11. jermaine

jermaine Regular Member

student
    i think theres a mistake in the magazine. under PAGE X, top left hand side, it says on the bottom right that the plyer is XIA XUAN ZE, but i think its LEE tseun something of malaysia. XXZ is not a left handed plyer

12. maxwellian

maxwellian Regular Member

Notice I mentioned market being small and their strategy is wrong. They should go out cheaper to get a bigger following to create volume. No one should expect to make $ in the 1st year of business, esp in such a small market.
    Anyway, the test is in the pudding. Is it a better alternative? I have not read the mag but people who have here, are the judges.
    What's the comment regarding "thin air talk"??

13. EastDevil

EastDevil Regular Member

What job?
    It is not as easy as to print a lot and expect to sell a large quantity. To print a large quantity, you need to be able to pay the printers for it first. And you need to have a network of distributors that is capable of distributing that kind of quantity. Before the magazine become an established one, it is impossible to find that many distributors who will take it on. Furthermore, no investor will take such a big risk to invest that much money to print so many copies without knowing what the response could be. The publishers are now trying to start small, gauge the response and slowly build up the quantity. If they have good response, they will be able to justify printing more and selling lower.

When we are not the ones who are putting in the money or facing the difficulties of starting up a new publication, it is very easy for us to "thin air talk" about why they do not throw in big money like nobody's business or why they do not sell cheap.

Its just like ignorant football fans that whine about why their favourite clubs and its owners do not spend mega bucks to buy mega stars because these fans do not have a picture of the limitations. Afterall, whining is cheap to them.

I would prefer to give the magazine a chance and see how it turns out. I bought a copy a few weeks ago already when it was not yet mentioned around here.

I have always bought specialty magazines on oil painting or other not-as-popular subjects which are not as readily available like those in the usual newstands and they always cost much more than $10. Even many popular magazine costs more than or almost $10. So I believe it is a fair price for now. I do find the magazine lacking, but its a good step forward. Afterall, I cannot do a better magazine than them and for $5. And I definitely do not have a better strategy than them.

14. donchang

donchang Regular Member

Ya. I agree to some of the member reply that the magzine is not a success as the is little interesting content on it and also its has miss out on the equipment review section (which is a attantion to badminton fan on new equipment such as racket,shoe,shuttle and etc). For the pirce i have no comment on its as if they can make the magizine is very interesting then it should worth the price of it. I also wondering that want to buy the second issue or not when its out in the market. I give this mag 4 out of 10.

15. EastDevil

EastDevil Regular Member

What job?
    If they don't continue to improve, definitely nobody would want to buy it anymore.

16. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    seem like this magazine isn't founded by badminton fans but rather quick buck business people who want to jump into this badminton uprising.

17. meeya

meeya Regular Member

the content of the magazine was disappointing as i already knew all that information from BF and the internet. it's not worth buying at all