Malaysia Open 2006 - LCW's Winning Point AVI

Discussion in 'Singapore Open / Malaysia Open / Chinese Taipei Op' started by Gessle, Jun 18, 2006.

1. Han

Han Regular Member

Engineer
    My opinion

Oh man, picking on LCW, the one who won the title, for mentally not tough seem unreal. Isn't it Lin Dan should be one who has mental toughness problem in this case? Regardless, at least we can say Lee Chong Wei is in the same league as Lin Dan which makes the coming World Championship more interesting.(Actually the coming Taipei Open also very interesting)
    No reason to find excuse for Lin Dan as he has poor sportmanship all along from refusing to change shuttles to current unpleasant events. We all know he's a great player but not very well like by many, simple as that. And this is not a popular contest, if Wong Choon Hann can win as many titles as Lin Dan then I don't mind Chonn Hann being "unsportmanship" either :) To be arrogant, you need to win enough and Lin Dan has so he entitles(though unnecessary)
    The issue is Lin Dan future after his badminton career is over, making so many enemies will not help. Why Zhao Jianhua is so pupolar even after his badminton career? Simple, Jianhua is well like by many and acted very professional, lost or won on court. So was Rexy(Malaysia MD coach hired by his rival Yap Kim Hock), Park Jobong, Morten Frost. I know Choon Hann will do well even after his badminton career as he is very well like by many, including me obviously :)
    Just my opinion.

2. EastDevil

EastDevil Regular Member

What job?
    Err... I think refusing to change shuttles is not poor sportsmanship.

Err... I think whether a player is well-liked or not does not mean he will do well or do badly after he retires. A very well-liked player doesn't necessarily can coach or run a business.

Err... I don't know if Lin Dan will become a coach in the future or not. But even if he does, there's enough vacancies in China for that. Afterall, the best chinese coaches would probably prefer to coach in China in the abscence of other reasons.

3. wl2172

wl2172 Regular Member

Actually I have to agree with East here, although LCW did show great character to hang on and win at the end, the points made above in quotes are absolutely spot on. If you plot the curve of *consistency versus time of play, you will see that CW has more peaks and troughs compared to LD in general. However, If LCW can even out that curve, he will be on par with LD or maybe even better.

However, EastDevil, you can put your points across in more diplomatic ways instead of making too many personal remarks about other people's opinion. A little bit of diplomacy on your part will certainly make discussions on this forum much more enjoyable for everyone.

*consistency = number of unforced errors/minute

#23 wl2172, Jun 18, 2006
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2006
  4. EastDevil

EastDevil Regular Member

What job?
    Please don't look at it using such formulaic stuff... I hate maths. :D

Regarding the remarks, I caught the Lin Dan virus of unsportsmanship behaviour. :D On a serious note, I still don't think LD bahaved that badly today to warrant those harsh reactions.

5. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Just my comment on the LD prize ceremony incident in 2006 MO..

EastDevil, i just finished reading the 2 or 3 threads which are currently being locked up...sigh, boy, you sure did kept up your resiliencies in those threads.:p I agree with Kwun locking it up for the time being, as a few of the posts were getting quite a bit emotional. I was going to make a quick respond in one of them cos i noticed you mentioned something abt your experience in trying to get KJ's autograph in the SO. Well, there were similar incidents also which were experienced by a few BCers in last yr's World Championship with a few of the players(there's a thread abt it also, but don't forgot which one).
    Anyways, regarding the incident of LD's prize ceremony, for whatever unknown reason(s), unfortunately it happened but let's just move on. Yah, i agree that LD shouldn't behave like that for whatever reasons(even if it wasn't in front of the Malaysian fans or even if Mr. Gunalan was there), but i also agree that he shouldn't get those "harsh" reactions; he's human afterall. Probably the person who's "affected" the most by this is XXF.:rolleyes: :eek:
    My point is, eventhough they're both separate/different incidents, the incident you had with KJ could be somewhat related to what happened with LD's prize ceremony incident. As we don't know what is causing him to behave like that. We, as fans, can only assume so much, thus we can't judge or assume such player(s) is such and such after such encounter..:p
    But hopefully and looking fw in the upcoming Chinese Taipei Open, if and when LD and LCW meet again, win or lose, LD can "redeem" himself by showing some good sportsmanship..:) :cool:

#25 ctjcad, Jun 18, 2006
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2006
  6. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    If LinDan win in CT, definately he is going to show some sportmanship. However if he Lose to LCW.. i hope he will redeem himself. Anyway Lindan is human. I do agree with you that the person who's affected the most is XXF. I'm sure she also don't know where to put her face after seeing her bf's reaction. Anyway enuff of Lindan issues. He might not fren me after reading my responds. Heheh

7. yannie

yannie Regular Member

Thank you, Gessle.
    From the video, it seems like Lin Dan actually WANTS to shake hands with LCW, but LCW was still happily celebrating his victory at that time!

8. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    He actually wants to shake hands with LCW. Even at the podium and before walking to the podium, he didnt acknowledge LCW. He must be feeling sad. I think this is LinDan's worst lost.

9. BadFever

BadFever Regular Member

Can't fully blame LD. He is like 99.99% win for sure in the NSS and miracle just happened at that moment to LCW. LCW just played a perfect 9 points game. LCW must have the greatest feeling right now. I think this 'High' will last him at least a few days. :D

This is the result of pushing the "feeling of wanting to win" to the Extreme. If LD is there to shake hands with LCW, that's good enough. IMHO, LYB should take control of the situation right away and calm LD down. Where is he when this happened. :confused: :confused:

10. zqloy

zqloy Regular Member

Hey there is no need to be rude. Im just expressing my thoughts juz like everybody else....
    The fact is it is normal in a game to be catched up 5/6 points during the game (even LD got catch up by 6/7 points by LCW in the 1st set), but 8 MATCH points??!! Come on! That really requires great mental strength to do that! Even in the old scoring its quite difficult and now in the new scoring system can say its quite impposible. LD couldnt take the game in 8 match points, he is the one with weak mental. For eg, last years World Championship and MO Final he does display bad fighting spirit and looks like he had redi gave up the game.... now this is weak mental strength.....:cool:

11. All4Baddy

All4Baddy Regular Member

I dont think Lindan has a weak mental. Just that LCW played really well. Lin Dan just lost his composure after that.

12. sshuang90

sshuang90 Regular Member

Before watching this video clip, I was almost convinced by many posts that LD was being very disrespectful in the final, however, here I just saw a depressed LD in the video. I'd agree with someone that he looked just angry with himself as he kicked the racquet. And he did approach the net to shake hands with LCW but just failed to wait for LCW finishing his celebration. LD did not behave gracefully but not disrespectfully either. He seemed even quite calm.

13. streamyx

streamyx Regular Member

Ok, lets said LD do have the intention to approach to shake hand with LCW and i have no offence on this.

But,how do u explain that he take away his silver medal and cheque imediately and refuse to wear warror hat??

14. zqloy

zqloy Regular Member

I think some even saw him threw the cheque plate on the floor afterwards.. :mad:

15. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    Dude, are you a lawyer? You sure can spin things. LCW's fans looked at the positive (coming back from far behind to win) while neglecting the negative (letting the opponent get such a huge lead). Meanwhile, you turned 180 degrees and looked only on the negative.

If this match turned out exactly opposite, ie. it was Lin Dan who did the coming back, I think people will say that Lin Dan played it cool and had great mental strength while LCW fans will lament his (LCW) weak mental strength.

For me, both Lin Dan and LCW showed frailty and both also showed good mental toughness and fighting spirit.

16. All4Baddy

All4Baddy Regular Member

Poor Lindan... never ending criticism. Give him a break. Not everyone is perfect.

17. streamyx

streamyx Regular Member

I think u had wrongly place the "WEAK MENTAL" & "THE DUMB ONES" on the wrong player. LD should entitle for this instead of LCW. A weak mental huh in such a deciding game and drop 8 points behind can COME BACK thus winning the match??? Why i said LD is entitle for what u claim a WEAK & THE DUMB, because he feel nervous and panic when he see LCW craw back...
    LD should go and learn how to handle presure and mental strenght !!!!

18. zqloy

zqloy Regular Member

Agree. Moreover during that time its LCW who got the massive pressure in 8 match points of LD. One mistake and its gone.... but he can still bear the pressure and still chase point by point....he should get all the priase for tat... :cool:

19. dropshot

dropshot Regular Member

Stole 8 match points from the world no.1 is almost godlike. Only the not so smart ones would deny that. Well, we all have our moments, incl CW & LD. We are only human. Just enjoy the game....;)

20. EastDevil

EastDevil Regular Member

What job?
    That's why when I quoted KJ's incident, I said I don't blame him or something. I am sure he has valid reasons and furthermore, they can get a little disoriented right after a match as well. All we fans need to do is to try to approach them again for the autograph at a better time. :D