Disappointed with China's Players attitude, Salute Denmark and England players!

Discussion in 'Singapore Open / Malaysia Open / Chinese Taipei Op' started by cindie, Jun 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cindie

cindie Regular Member

I went to watch the Malaysian Open 2006 yesterday. It was a major disappointment to FINALLY see for myself how the China players present themselves in front of their fans (I always read in this forum how some of the china players are not friendly, but I never believe because they seem so nice when they are on stage waving to fans. But, yesterday, I FINALLY saw it myself, they were smiling and waving to fans on stage and when they were outside, you can see their TRUE self). Honestly, china players are very snobbish. My god, comparing them with players from Denmark and England, it's just like heaven and hell. I approached China players for autograph, well, not only me but other fans as well, but all we got was their "super-snobbish" treatment. They are not friendly AT ALL. They don't even smile... in fact, they won their match. If you say, they lose, it's understandable they are not in good mood. But, they won.

When I approached the Denmark and England players, I was so touched by their sincerity and friendliness. They are so nice!! I truly salute them from the bottom of my heart. Probably, the only nice person so far that I met from China is Chen Jin. I'm really very disappointed with such kind of attitude shown by the China players. I guess they have forgotten that they are representing China, whatever attitude they show when they are overseas, will reflect on how the world looks at China. They are just like an "ambassador" of China. As for what happened to Lin Dan, I guess everyone should know by now..no elaboration is needed.

p/s: Forgot to add this earlier, Lee Hyun Il, when he didn't want to sign autograph (I guess he was sad because he lost), he smile to the fans and said no. At least, he smiled.

#1 cindie, Jun 18, 2006
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2006
  2. blackrose

blackrose Regular Member

Lin Dan Attitude

I was agreed the china players especially Lin Dan show bad attitude in Malaysia Open finals. I guess Badminton Assc. of Malaysia forward Lin Dan matter to International Badminton Federation for discipline action. Very bad!!!:crying:

3. Louisa

Louisa Regular Member

Cindie, agree with u. I went to MO semi n final---with my niece n nephew, who love badminton so much. They bought nice notebooks and caps, hoping that those top guns would sign autograph for them, but it seems tat only M'sian players and Europe players are approachable.

I even spoken personally to Tracey Hallem, n she is real friendly. For those who were in the stadium yesterday....u know wat happen, need no elaborate more. My personal encounter with Du Jing, the WD runner up, were terrible. My nephew bring his notebook n marker pen to her, n i even asked her permission to sign on his notebook, she juz kind of look at us, n went off, without saying even a word. I m not saying jargon to her, as i was spoken mandarin, her mother tongue.

For me, if you lost de match, n ppl still ask for ur autograph, u shld be grateful on tat....look at it as encouragement, not distraction or disturbance.

Fortunately Zhang Ning gave her autograph, if not....i will be so disappointed, for i supported her wholeheartedly.

4. indra

indra Regular Member

From the very beginning I have never lend my support to Chinese players...especially LD. The majority of the current Chinesse players have been the carbon copies of Li Yong Bo. They are " narrow-minded" emotionally and socially. They are lacking in and emphaty and interpersonal-relationship. I am not surprised at all...that is the product of Li Yong Bo. Like Coach, Like Athlete.!!

They rarely smile...I do not why...perhaps in China smiling or being friendly is a SIN...They are so exclusive and cannot socialize with other people from different nations.

Even the most controversial player, TH, will never do that. TH has a very deep respect on PG and other players...but not on Chinese players....
    When he lost to Sato during the last TC, he praised him...

TH is only difficult to control by PBSI but never disrespects other players....

Now I understand why Taufik said to LD during the last TC " If you want defeat me, wait for me in the WC in SPain ...."

5. chiamhc

chiamhc Regular Member

Friendly Morten Frost

My friend met him the other day and asked for a photo session. He (Morten Frost) rejected nicely by telling my friend that he was having an holiday. He prefer to walk alone and enjoyed his walk (in slipper) around China Town, Kuching.

Good manner!

6. HappyPlato

HappyPlato Regular Member

I understand that if some player(s) refusing autograph maybe disappointing to you. But considering that if the person has to sign every autograph, which can be in the thousands. One is only human, perhaps happy to sign five or ten. But after a hundred of autograph/pictures, it is draining on the player(s). This is like for 3 or 4 days in a row. Now, this is especially true for the top players. If there is a set a side time for autograph, I am sure this is fine. But these people get approach everytime/everywhere they go. So, it is too much for them.

In a similar way, try to get a autograph/picture from a movie star, like Tom Hanks, see how much luck you have... Just have an open mind and be understanding. If you got an autograph/picture. Be happy. If not, try again later or try someone else. If I was turn down for a autograph, I will be disappointed. But I won't be a crying baby.

I am not taking sides or pointing the fingers. Have you stop and think that whatever steps these player(s) take maybe a way of protecting themselves and privacy from the public? See how long you can last with your smile when fans follow you everywhere.

#6 HappyPlato, Jun 18, 2006
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2006
  7. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Ok, ok... I don't want to start any debate. I agree that LD (as well as some other CHN players did have some problem with their attitude with media or fans, etc)

However, no need to generalize the comment to everyone under the CHN flag. And to me, bring in LYB's name is pointless. Yeah, I know coach does carry responsibility to educate his players, and LYB is not "mr. popular" to a lot of fans. But please, no need to express your anger toward the whole group... :cool:

8. Louisa

Louisa Regular Member

agree....they are human indeed. But they can be more polite or reject it in a nice way. I asked Li Mao for a photo session yesterday, he rejected too, but, at least he told me his reason, and i m not disappointed at all. I got autograph from Chen Hong, and i wish him good luck n 'jia you', u know, he looked at me weirdly as if, i m ALIEN...dunno, may b he was too surprise tat Malaysian can speak their language....well, well, well, thank him for his autograph, though not so friendly as expected.

I think the way players portray themselves are influence by their background mostly. Not all China players are arrogant, n not all Europe players are friendly. Being international players however, they should bear in mind that, they are representing their home country....

9. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Good point.

A story always have 2 sides. If everyone can think a bit more for others (imagine if you are in his/her role), then, there should be much less of a mis-communication issue. :rolleyes:

10. Louisa

Louisa Regular Member

FIVE buddy, agree with u 101%. 1 or 2 or 3 players doesn't means all....juz dun need to generalize. ;)

11. JYong

JYong Regular Member

Nice China team I met in Singapore Open

I went to singapore badminton hall to watch chinese players practice during Aviva Open, the impression they give me is nice. I'm not just look at them but also spoken to their players,coaches and team leader. I was chit chat with Xie ZhongBo(no1 mixed double) for around 20min after his training session.

Overall nice china team I met during my visit.

12. EastDevil

EastDevil Regular Member

What job?
    I agree with you. I have been rejected before and I don't hate the players for that or criticise their national players as a whole.

I sat near to Peter Gade during the SO2006 final day and I saw so many people approaching him for pictures and autograph that he can hardly watch the match or have an extended conversation with Kenneth Jonassen and their coach. Gade keep standing up and sitting down throughout. He is a wonderful person, but we cannot expect every other player to be THAT patient.

Players are people too. They have the right to their own hands and they can choose not to sign your autograph. They have their right to their own face and they can choose not to smile. And sometimes, how they react might not be what we interpret it as. They could be very shy, or they could be mentally exhausted that they just want to be left alone to think about things and when you approached them, their thoughts were not there and thus they cannot reject you nicely with a smile.

Afterall, we have no right to demand that other people do this or do that to suit what we want, the same way as we do not want other people to dictate what we do.

13. xflubb

xflubb Regular Member

I can say with certainty that xie zhong buo is a nice guy...met him at the WC2005 and he was cool about taking a picture and stuff.

14. Jessica

Jessica Regular Member

Student
    Well,what you say are not definitely correct.Yuo can't say all the chinese players have bad attitude.This are very unfair.Although some of them maybe not so polite,but i think they didn't mean it in that way.So, please don't say that.As a chinese,i will be sad hearing this.:crying: As for Taufik,i think he sholdn't say all this serious word.

15. indra

indra Regular Member

Yes...I made a wrong generalization on Chinese players. No disrespect is intended please. :)

Just the opposite to the men group, I admit that most of the Chinese women players are very nice... :)

16. matt_att

matt_att Regular Member

FM
    I just think, it is a duty to promote badminton by a professional badminton player, signing an autograph to the kids will help much for this little generation. He or She loss the opportunity to promote the games (indirect way). no offen!!!!!!!!!!

17. Wildstone

Wildstone Regular Member

No problems :)

I have tons of chinese friends and they are nice. It's just so happened that those players that did not behave well are players from China. Most chinese are most certainly not like that!

Those players should have something to think about.

18. seeleegal

seeleegal Regular Member

:) Truely agree.for what i know all this while Taufik n LD are not getting along well..he kind of doesn't think that LD is a good player..bt i saw on newspaper once that Taufik said his most respected player is Peter Gade.The other 1 is Sun Jun who is not playing anymore.

19. seeleegal

seeleegal Regular Member

can tell me where is Singapore Badminton Hall?and which is the nearest mrt there?Would thanks a lot for ur info!:) :)

20. kopperkane

kopperkane Regular Member

I witness the same thing when the China team came to Kota kinabalu at the MO 2003. They were very reluctant to sign autograph for their fans. Some even showed their sour faces when they had no choice but to pose for pictures with the local fans.

European players treated local fans better. JR gave his t shirt to a fan after a training session.

It happened in 2003 Malaysian Open KK

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.