Badminton/Taiwan Open: Lin Dan exacts sweet revenge

Discussion in 'Singapore Open / Malaysia Open / Chinese Taipei Op' started by Malaysianfan, Jun 25, 2006.

1. zqloy

zqloy Regular Member

I really doubt LD is an all rounder like Taufik. His netplay is definitely weaker than Taufik, PG and also LCW.

2. juniorjunior

juniorjunior Regular Member

Hello all,

This is the first time posting on BC so please be nice to me:eek:

I personally like LD and LCW. Everytime they play each other, their matches are always entertaining and never dull. LCW has his good points and so does LD so there isn't much point making too many comparisons because it will be a never ending debate:p.

Let's just be thankful players like them exist to make us go 'wow' everytime we watch them play....So MORE POWER to LCW and LD....

3. Simp84

Simp84 Regular Member

Student
    u got it the other way round:p
    LD is the attacker while Taufik and LCW is more of all rounder (they wait for chance while LD just know how to jump smash all the way) ~
    LD has sucky defending especially smash towards his backhand side close to his body... however he does put up very good performance pleasing crowd diving around like monkey:D

4. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    My thoughts on this on PG, LD, LCW, TH. Yes, Lin Dan is a good all-round player, but when looking at them play, you don't really see any difference between them. Peter Gade said so during the Thomas Cup, and I agree.

While reading this thread, I read someone mention Lin Dan grinding out his win. I thought this is quite true. He sticks with it. He won't let you go easily. And most of all, I think what makes him stand out (by winning more often than not) is his resolute defence. This is another parallel with Nadal. It usually takes a few winners to win a rally. It wears down and demoralises most opponents.

5. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    This was true the first few times I saw Lin Dan, just smashing all the way a la Heryanto Arbi. But he has reverted to a more patient game, and the sudden attack (in football, it's like passing 25 times before suddenly looping the ball upfield for the lone striker to score. :p)

6. EastDevil

EastDevil Regular Member

What job?
    Have you ever thought about the possibility that perhaps its because these guys have very good netplay? All-rounder does not mean EVERYTHING is better than everybody else. Let me guess, RTM1? :D

7. doctor_teh

doctor_teh Regular Member

DISGAREE. misbun's technique was never among the best. other player have better technique but dun clown arnd like him. the most important thg is to win n bring glory to ur country. misbun n his countrymen do not have the initiative n spirit to succeed. simply bcos malaysia rewards mediocre and 2nd rate efforts much much more than indon n china. the best technique is owned by the greatest , Zhao Jianhua He is able to execute breath-taking n impossible shots that always win points.

8. Angelyn51

Angelyn51 Regular Member

Somehow doctor's post makes sense. Misbun's technique wasn't so good therefore probably that's why Hafiz isn't a very renowned player. In my opinion if Hafiz goes under Li Mao he will be just as good as LCW. He got the physique, tall, agile and strong. I suppose its just because Li Mao can't communicate with Hafiz using chinese. :D

I agree on Lin Dan is just a playing machine. When it comes to critical moments I notice he just loses control and defences it at all cost. Like at the All England semi clash with LCW during the third set 20-20, LD defence was so robust. He dived here and there, doesn't care what tactic he uses as long the shuttle crosses the net. He defends waits for the opponent to make a mistake and at last LCW grants his wish with an out lop.

#48 Angelyn51, Jun 28, 2006
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2006
  9. chibe_K

chibe_K Regular Member

I had the same observation. For example, Taipei Open 2006, LCW was having troubles with the draft. Indeed, the draft was very obvious and even the broadcast commentator made a comment that his baseline shots were off may be due to the strong current. This is deadly to LCW whose style is about precision and skills.

Does LD have any elegant moves or styles that impress me? NO.
    What about LCW? Yes...I simply enjoyed his elegant moves and style of play and he should continue doing that. Like Ronaldinho of Brazil soccer team, he does not have to be the leading scorer or world cup winner....he simply impresses everyone !

As for LD, he just capitalized on the number of mistakes that LCW made due to the draft and tried to defend every shot possible to exhaust his opponent.

#49 chibe_K, Jun 28, 2006
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2006
  10. EastDevil

EastDevil Regular Member

What job?
    Having a robust defense is a skill, you know?

11. hollywood_t

hollywood_t Regular Member

Thanks for the aknolwedgement. And I noticed the same thing w/ Lin Dan using the quick attack. This is similar to what another poster mentioned about LDs progression from Smash machine to defence and opportunistic player.

AE 2006 he did that time and time again to Kenneth Jonassen. Med paced rally and suddenly injection of pace to force a weak shot and winner. This is the perfect strategy against a defence minded player and is acutally a very subtle & thinking strategy to conserve energy yet still play to your own strengths.

So ... I don't believe the assessment is accurate that he is a smashing machine. Otherwise he would just smash himself out time & time again and either win games by large margins or lose them by large margins.

Bottom line Lin Dan adapts to the situation until the opportunity to use his strengths materializes. If that isn't a skill I don't what is.

Derek

12. X Ball

X Ball Regular Member

Forget all your arguments everyone.

What will win a tournament boils down to a combination of the following :

1. Desire (mental)
    2. Physical Fitness
    3. Doggedness
    4. Finesse

LD, PG, LCW, TFH, and many more before them have all these qualities but it depends on how much they have of each on the day to get them winning.

We have seen doggedness on the part of LCW in the Malaysian Open, coming from 13-20 in the 3rd set to win.

We have seen finesse on the part of PG (and who we can't possibly deny) to win with style.

LD has shown everyone what physical fitness is (and certainly over the years, the Chinese players have shown that too, is it turtle's soup as one of my friends has suggested?).

And the desire bit is prevalent with everyone but of course, this is almost overriden by the above traits of fitness, finesse, and doggedness.

So come shine come rain, all the top players have to show desire, fitness, doggedness, and finesse to win. And we fans, will show no less to follow them --- so show some finesse folks and argue less.:D :rolleyes:

13. jermaine

jermaine Regular Member

student

erm, sucky defence?
    lmao. lin dan is an all rounded player for sake.. and his defence is incredible
    lol and diving like monkey?
    if you dont dive then i ask you how are you gonna save pts? you will lose every pt then.

14. EastDevil

EastDevil Regular Member

What job?
    Huh??? LCW is widely known as the attacking player. LD is famous for being able to defend very well. Go research or watch more games. :confused: I cannot get where you find all that stuff from.

15. EastDevil

EastDevil Regular Member

What job?
    You really serious about the turtle soup? No wonder I never had wonderful fitness. :D

16. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    not any turtle, it has to be ninja turtles:D
    Other turtle soups actually make you slow instead

I hope Brave Turtle isn't reading this, he'll faints

#56 cooler, Jul 4, 2006
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2006
  17. hara^kazuko

hara^kazuko Regular Member

Chinese never had ninja turtles... they are only found in Japan..

What about bear's paw, monkey's brain, snake wine, seahorse wine or turtle's back?

#57 hara^kazuko, Jul 4, 2006
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2006
  18. X Ball

X Ball Regular Member

We all remember MA's army of atheletes feeding on turtle's blood together with other cococtions to make Chinese runners run faster and farther. These days we can get that in Chinatown Singapore.

The above is not an advertisement.:D

19. EastDevil

EastDevil Regular Member

What job?
    That's new to me. I never had any turtle-related cuisine. :D

20. chiamhc

chiamhc Regular Member

Complete player - Champion

LCW need to beat the top three LD, PG and TF to be a Champion.

Go and beat them ........on regular basis!