returning baseline clears problem

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by jolunewbie, Jul 23, 2006.

1. jolunewbie

jolunewbie Regular Member

student
    i have a problem returning baseline clears but i mean when i am very close to the net after returning a drop my opponents just clear it to the baseline and i cant return it. i have seen some do fancy behind the back between the legs but it is a very low percentage shot. I have seen Zhang Ning sliced the shuttle but i cant seem to do it. maybe because she is very tall and i am just a 13 yr old boy who is only 5foot

2. tangy

tangy Regular Member

student
    i think ur problem is footwork, in order to play better shots from the back you gotta have the footwork to get u there first

3. jolunewbie

student
    i cant explain what i'm trying to say i mean when you have no time to get behind the shuttle what should i do

4. JRMTL

JRMTL Regular Member

Math teacher and coach at Univesity of Montreal
    Usually, when you don't have time to go back, it is usually because of the poor return of the drop shot. What you should try instead is to clear HIGH and deep so you might be able to return from the net.

Jean-Robert Quevillon
    http://carabins.umontreal.ca/01-Equipes/1-0_Bad.htm

5. joshww81

joshww81 Regular Member

sounds like there are two issues involved.

on the one hand, your dropshot may be too easily picked up by your opponent and too far from the net that gives them the opportunity to clear high shots.

and on the other hand, you may be staying put where you are immediately after you've put the drop shot thinking that they wont be able to hit it. perhaps you've got to anticipate and start moving back to a central position faster instead of waiting at the net.

work on your footwork. v important, as my coach says

6. tecdecs

tecdecs Regular Member

high schooler
    i had that same exact problem 2 years ago when I 1st started to play badminton when i was a freshmen...

its pretty much you gotta work on footwork and you gotta practice your drops so its harder for your opponent to return...

i think i get what your asking... your asking is there like a trick shot sort of thing to get the bird when its near the back... try running back and do a backhand, better if you can backhand the shot while its high but if you cant get there fast enough just backhand as soon as possible.

also go to summer badminton camps they help you improve alot.

7. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

You may be standing too close to the net.

After playing a netshot in singles, you need to retreat slightly. If you stay committed to the front, then it will be easy for your opponent to flick the shuttle behind you.

Only after playing an extremely tight (and preferably tumbling) netshot can you safely commit to the net.

8. bertbrainz

bertbrainz Regular Member

one bvery important thing...u must snap ur wrist and giv ur racket extra heAd swing so as to enable the shuttle to fly higer...your angle too...hope it helps

9. wing-omega5-0

wing-omega5-0 Regular Member

Student(uni)
    its a very basic problem. time and experience will easily fix it. there is no shortcut to badminton(other than practice practice practice).

footwork is key to the situation here. u have to know when to retreat a little bit when u play a drop, how much u need to come back. and when a lift comes, u need to be able to move back and there and keep the rally alive(unless ur making a kill).

10. jolunewbie

student
    Ok thank you guys for your replies i will try what you all said later.

11. b.leung

b.leung Regular Member

- i should point out a very common mistake young players seem to make (well not young player in age, but in experience) is running instead of shuffling, this is the footwork you want to acheive. (btw, this is not tennis, don't run, it's never as fast as shuffling)
    - slicing the bird from baseline is only done in desperation, and should only be worked on if you have everything else down properly, don't skip the fundamentals
    - work on your drops
    the following are some drills i do with the junior team members of my school (might help your situation):

for drops, requires a partner
    have the partner drop to you and you drop back (continuously), start from the first service line and work your way gradually closer towards the net
    try to aim lobs at the "tape" the thick part of the net, make sure the lobs aren't too high
    if you keep practising like this, you will soon see that your drops will hug the net more- be patient
    if you get really good at the drops, try to do cross-court drops by have you and your partner stand at opposite corners of the service box (not diagonal corners, but latteral ones)
    being five feet shouldn't give you an excuse for not being able to move, if anything you might be more nimble and your "fast-twitch" muscles have less mass to move around

for footwork, you can start from the centre of the court and shuffle and lunge towards the four corners of the court (in the odd case you don't know wat shuffling is, it is taking a step with one foot, the other foot steps parallel, never beyond, the first stepping foot, repeat rinse lather * for more details on proper way to shuffle, please consult some more experienced players to show you in person, as there are different ways to shuffle when doing forehand and backhand)
    when your shuffling backwards, you can lift your head up and point to an imaginary bird while being ready to smack it
    you can also follow through and actually swing the racquet when you reach the baseline
    try to aim for needing only 2 steps lunge forward and 3 steps for baselines
    try these out, it's the "regular" drills we do at our school, if you know these drills already, you should keep practising them religiously
    as all players probably should do these as regular warm ups to keep the fundamentals strong

i hope this helps clear things up, if there are any information that is inaccurate, please tell me
    cuz i learned all this while the coach was teaching me the drills to teach the young guns
    if there are incorrect information i will reflect it to my coach so these drills can be improved (do bear in mind that this is done through typing and it is a rather limited means of expressing movement, so don't flame :D)

12. jolunewbie

student
    well many of you guys told me it's footwork, my trainor also said that. we have been focusing to footwork now. b.leung the drill you said is what we did. Tnx to all of you guys for replying

13. DivingBirdie

DivingBirdie Regular Member

student
    this might probably help u:

don't move TOO CLOSE to the net to return the drop. instead, stretch out your hand and racket foot as much as you can, while your non racket foot is still far behind the service line ;D this will help you return to base position more quickly too

14. wing-omega5-0

wing-omega5-0 Regular Member

Student(uni)
    if it wasnt already mentioned, u can also do another drill. on a half-court, start at the middle and then go to the baseline. from there, u can do repetitions of running and lunging to the net, then going backwards to the baseline and taking a swing. very basic but effective. do maybe...20 repetitions b4 taking a break? *shrug* i cant remember how many we used to do during the season.