Socks Preference

Discussion in 'Clothing & Footwear' started by cooler, Apr 6, 2006.

1. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    the best socks are ones made by Yonex and only available in Japan AFAIK. they are very comfy, absorbs sweat pretty well, and most importantly, the material is very dense and structurally strong. the elasticity of the material also hugs the foot very well. as a result, you have a sock that hugs you feet and doesn't slide around when you move.

hiking socks are one of the worst socks to use, while they are thick and comfy, they are not dense at all, if you try to lunge in them, they give and your feet will end up sliding around in the shoes.

the said Yonex are hard to find as well as expensive, be prepared to pay around US$10-15/pair.

the best alternative is a model of Nike socks that is available in the US. i will post a pic of it soon.

2. CanuckBur

CanuckBur Regular Member

Technical support.
  3. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    this is the sock i mentioned...

beware though that there are at least two models from Nike, there is one which is very thin, they are not good at all. they wear out very easily and cuts into the feet.

these ones have thicker construction and have maybe 60% of the Yonex's feel. not that close, but better than nothing.

as you can see, these are extra ones i bought in case they decide to discontinue the model... ;)

Attached Files:

4. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    Actually, they are available in Canada. They are made in Taiwan. The retail price from Tad's is around CAD8.90 a pair?

The Yonex Thailand made version is around CAD 3.50 to 3.75 a pair from Hong Kong.

5. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    are they the same as the ones from Yonex Japan?

6. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

7. event

event Regular Member

Have you tried the Ironman socks from Running Room? I find them to be ideal. I've had one pair for 3 years or so now and they still haven't worn out yet. I use these ones. No Kevlar but they are good. They remind me of a Kevlar-reinforced sock I used to get from MEC back in the 90's but these ones have better elastic at the top.

8. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    They are different in material. The Thai version is mostly cotton while the Taiwan version has coolmax type of polyester and wool (forgot the exact label?).

9. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    Kwun,

The version you saw in Japan and the ones selling in North America are probably the same. :D

10. Wizbit

Wizbit Regular Member

Testing ladie's lingerie
    Does anyone play with no socks? I find the feel with some insoles laid in is good...but I'd dread to clean it after every session. plus it can get quite harsh on your toes. I thought about plastering my toes before I play...but have yet to try it. :p

I too vouch for Yonex socks, after trying lots of cotton ankle lengths and Nike dri fits. Best compromise so far between performance and comfort. I wanna try football/soccer style socks soon.

11. CanuckBur

CanuckBur Regular Member

Technical support.
    No, I haven't. Ha ha, you bought the same socks that I did. I got three pairs of the socks. I thought they were going to last forever. The first two pairs went missing when I moved.

12. martin8768

martin8768 New Member

sudent
    i use nike Shox socks, lol rhymes :), their thick, well designed some how to be very cushioned for medium thick socks, ankle cut, their nice with no sliping, i got to were 2 thow 4 me

13. pedro22

pedro22 Regular Member

I use these Yonex model 1956 socks that have grippy rubber "dots" in the toe & heel area. Absolutely no feet movement inside the shoe with these socks. Got them for $8 at Tad's.

14. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    I finally bought a pair of Made in Taiwan, Yonex Logos, socks. The material is 70% super combed cotton, 20% coolmax type polyester, and 10% elastic fiber. At CAD9.00 before taxes added, they are very expensive but the quality is very good.

15. syahdeto

syahdeto Regular Member

100% agreed with u bro....i recommended to all !!! i only used YONEX ERGO sock!!!!:D

16. chickenpoodle

chickenpoodle Regular Member

medium thickness 100% quarter length socks, for colder occasions.
    and
    1 pair of thin dri-fit socks, with 1 pair of thin 100% cotton socks over top, both ankle/no-show, for warmer times.

17. modious

modious Regular Member

The ones from Japan are different from the ones sold in Singapore as I've both. The Japan ones are more thick, comfortable and lasts longer.