Badminton Film

Discussion in 'Introduction' started by Naitch, Sep 18, 2004.

1. Naitch

Naitch New Member

I am a USC Graduate Film Student and am writing a film about Badminton. Any amusing anecdotes, players or matches that inspired you, how popular the sport is where you are, or what makes the sport so important to you would be very appreciated.

Thanks.

Robert

2. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    Interesting..
    here is short excerpt from a news clip i just found

SARAH HILL

Associated Press

HUTCHINSON, Kan. - Norman Krause calls badminton "the sport of ancients and royals."

At 87, he's been playing the game he also calls "the king of sports" for almost 60 years, usually four times a week.

Not only that, sultans of brunei are badminton fanatics too. I can't speak for others here but for me, playing badminton is like playing several sports in one game. Movement in sprinting, volleyball, fencing, tennis, table tennis are commonly executed in badminton. We play badminton not because it's easy (as commonly projected) but because it's difficult. The challenge is continuous learning as mastering badminton take a life time. Add to it is that secrets and techniques of badmintonn are often not properly documented and are usually lost with the passing of masters.

Badminton is a game of true equality. No one physical aspect can dominate the game. Short, tall, skinny,muscle bounded players have their own strength and weakness. Each rally start with a soft serve, unlike tennis or volleyball where serving is done by slamming their opponent. In tennis, if one master the serve, that player is guaranteed to win 50% of the game. In badminton, no one skill can dominating their opponent.

Like golf, badminton is a very technically based game if one examine it in detail. Unlike golf, no badminton player had ever made enough to live and retire on from playing badminton.

It's the 2nd most participated sports in the world. Hope this is enough to wet your appetite :)

#2 cooler, Sep 18, 2004
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2004
  3. Naitch

Naitch New Member

Thanks for the article. The internet's a great resource, too, but it's definitely personal reflections and passions and the seriousness with which the players take the sport that's the most fascinating.

4. JR

JR Regular Member

Professional Badmintonplayer
    You can contact me!!

Hi Naitch!!

This sounds like an interesting project!! You can write to me on my email and I´ll try to help you the best I can!!

Kind Regards

Jonas

5. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    then u came to the right place ;)

6. R Langley

R Langley New Member

Just watch the film (Ping-pong) by Yosuke Kubozuka, Sam Lee, and Arata, and apply it to Badminton, the feelings are the same!!

7. nelsonkong

nelsonkong Regular Member

Quantity Surveyor
    welcome to BC forum and have fun.

ahh...watch the recent games between Lin Dan and Lee Chong Wei...they are all cool.