mental training

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by dony_X, Sep 17, 2006.

1. dony_X

dony_X Regular Member

hi all. ive already filed my application for a tournament this coming oct 23. this will be my first tournament. i dont really expect to be champion, but if ever i loose i don't want to loose by straight sets with a big margin. i wanna put up a very good determined fight. my problem is, when i first played with good players back then when i was a newb, my knees froze. imagine that. i couldn't move, i couldn't hit. my whole body was trembling. literaly. the whole gym became a freezer. i just don't want that to happen again, of course i don't want it to happen in his tournament. my badminton preparations have started a week ago, but since i have a month before the game, what are the things that i could do to prepare myself, mentally? when you guys were playing your first ever tournament, did you anything special? i just don't want that experiecne to happen again, when you've prepared for the game, but then you become nervous and everything is wasted. any help guys? tnx.

2. Ranmira

Ranmira Regular Member

EEE Student
    First tournament? Do everything you usually do on playdays, make a checklist for the tournament so that you wouldn't forget to bring something essential, like wristbands. ;)

Anxiety is part of the competitive game, and conquering it actually boosts confidence, from my experience. Practice, play, and enjoy.

3. Monster

Monster Regular Member

Don't worry man. I was a little panicky too when I first competed in a tourney. I was thrashed anyway in singles 15-5, 15-3. To quote from William Hung, I gave my best and I have no regrets whatsoever.

4. Thee_Shadow

Thee_Shadow Regular Member

Sales Manager
    Hi,
    I remembered when I was in my first tournament in 1980s, I faced an opponent whose skills is not better than me. but because of pressure and tension, I lost the game. Since then, I told muself to cool down when I am stressed. Take a deep breath and play yr usual game. Focus n forget about the hula at the court side.;) Good luck,man:p
    Shadow's advice.

5. Iwan

Iwan Regular Member

Watch a lot of scary movies alone in the middle of the night with the lights turned off. If that doesn't scare you, try sitting in a graveyard late at night for an hour :D

6. modious

modious Regular Member

Hmmm...... is that what you've been doing??? :eek:

7. dony_X

dony_X Regular Member

mental

thanx guys... you should have seen my knees tremble... everything was just in slow motion... i thought everybody was looking at me... and laughing at me when i made a mistake... that was one awful experience...:( did you guys do any mental training weeks or days before the game? or anything that would help you focus... coz i know, that when your focused, you don't hear anything, all you see and hear is the shuttle and your opponent... any help?...:confused:

8. blueagle

blueagle Regular Member

join more tournaments...:)

9. dony_X

dony_X Regular Member

wish

man i wish it was that easy... your from the philippines, you know how it is here... doubles are more played than singles... you seldom see tournaments which has singles event in it...

10. Ranmira

Ranmira Regular Member

EEE Student
    True. You can make one with friends and contacts who like playing singles, however. Or a betting pool. :p

11. kabalen

kabalen Regular Member

since your tournament is still a month away, there is plenty of time to train yourself mentaly. and the best way to train yourself is play as hard as you can during practice as you will in a tournament. meaning, everytime you practice play, you extend yourself to the max, as if you want to win every single rally. Of course you may not win every single rally, but it will train your mind to push yourself harder than ever before. so when the tournament begins, you may still have butterflies in your tummy but because of your training and pushing yourself to the limit, you will know in your mind whatever the outcome, it will be the best for you. As my old coaches use to say, practice hard for play and play hard what you practiced. hope that helps.

12. Thee_Shadow

Thee_Shadow Regular Member

Sales Manager
    Hi,
    I think u should analyse what are the things which u may face during the tournament? What are yr worries which will trouble u then? Is the crowd, the noise, or your opponent? Or maybe the draft or yr own uncertainty?:eek: From there, u may try to overcome these negatives and improve on yr performance.;) Exposure is one of the best measure. We say experience count.:p One of the best way is to expose yrself to various competitions and motivate yrself mentally as u go along.:D
    Thee_shadow.:)

13. tangy

tangy Regular Member

student
    when i played in my first national tournamnet i was abit nervous. i just listened to music of my mp3 for a while. it helps a bit