Unprofitable

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Eurasian =--(O), Sep 27, 2006.

1. t3tsubo

t3tsubo Regular Member

Student
    .... i heard the laws in singapore and the goverment and everything was very very restrictive?
    hard to get a citzenship/good paying job there for foriegners?

i dont think ill move there when i finish university...

anyways i think you should play in the tournament just for the fun of it; and just add it as another expense on your monthly credit card bill. It's like buying a new racquet. Expensive but worth it (placebo or no)

2. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    Yes i do.. but you have to pay eventually after you have finished claiming it. It definately adds up for sure.

3. franxon

franxon Regular Member

i don't graffiti, i don't vandalize, i don't litter, i don't shoplift, i don't use or traffic drugs. so I feel no restriction of laws.

foreigners can get good jobs here, depending your education and speciality.

my previous post was just to introduce a bit to you guys that singapore is a good place for badminton. :)

4. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Actually, S'pore encourages people who can contribute to the society. Just like other western countries! Look how some countries are draining developing countries of their nursing staff.

Good point! I don't feel the need to do those things either!

Must visit S'pore for the badminton one day:D It's only 3.5 hours from HK.

5. t3tsubo

t3tsubo Regular Member

Student
    okay fanxon, thanks for the correction then. One last thing if its not too offtopic... is it true chewing gum outdoors there is illegal?

hope to come to singapore sometime :D

6. franxon

franxon Regular Member

t3tsubo, for the complete story please see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chewing_gum_ban_in_Singapore i can't tell you a more accurate/neutral story.

i'd just like to highlight two points about the chewing gum thing:

1. chewing gum can be purchased in drug stores now because of its therapeutic value.
    2. comsumption of chewing gum is never banned, it's the importing that's banned.

whatever your comment on this "uniquely singapore" ban, as a result, now no more chewing gum in your mailbox, in your door keyhole, under your dinning table, chair, on bus/train. no more chewing gum on the MRT/train/subway door sensor, it once broke the whole system down. perhaps the singaporeans are too creative?:cool:

the public grounds are clean, you know how difficult to clean up a piece of chewing gum melted under the tropical sun days ago. it is rumored that a caculation was done before the ban which showed that the damage done by chewing gum plus the money spent on removing it was substantial.

i personally like this line in the wiki article: "When a BBC reporter suggested that overly draconian laws would stifle the people's creativity, Lee Kuan Yew retorted: "If you can't think because you can't chew, try a banana.""

Singapore is often joked as a "fine" city. some things like graffiti, vandalism, littering etc are ethically wrong yet legally alright in many other countries but in singapore it could be legally wrong. simply put, certain laws in singapore serve a virtue implantation purpose. there was a period of time when people felt uncomfortable being taught what to do and what not to do on everyday's trifle stuff. but now people take the good manners for granted. if oneday those "no littering, fine $$$" signs are removed from the public sight, i'm pretty sure the good habits will remain.

theoretically, ethics is a tigher restriction than laws to one's behavior (and more often than not, reglion is an even tigher restriction). therefore when law does some ethical job, you feel the tightness.

however, the defination of being ethical has been ever changing. In a recent survey, it is found that there's a growing percentage of people who think "if it's legally alright, it is ethically alright".

it can be interpretted that the modern society is more forgiving then before if you apply it to others. or, it could also be a sign of ethics deterioration if you apply it to yourself.

should ethical standards of a society evolve towards the legal standards or the other way? it is highly academic and debatable.

what i know is, Singapore has well-behaved polite people, clean street and air and one of the lowest crime rate among countries and major cities. you'll enjoy all these as either a citizen or a foreigner.

7. FEND.

FEND. Regular Member

Full Time Badmintoncentral.com/forums camper. Part
    But oh well. Ants should get his own private plane at the rate he's spending on his airfares :p

8. ants

ants Regular Member

Its still cheaper to fly than to get my own private plane. Buying is another thing.. Maintaining the plane will Kill you. hahaha...

#28 ants, Oct 5, 2006
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2006
  9. Wizbit

Wizbit Regular Member

Testing ladie's lingerie
    Ants are you saving your airmiles for a space trip? :D I know of Virgin Galactic who plan to fly in 2009? First person to play badminton in space? :D:D

10. franxon

franxon Regular Member

never jump smash in space buddy. :D:D you'll damage either your head or the ceiling or both. clears and lobs only bounce back from walls. net shots etc become virtually impossible. it reminds me of pinball....

11. ants

ants Regular Member

Whoever launches a shuttlecock in space might as well be a record holder for the fastest Smash that can never be broken on Earth.

12. franxon

franxon Regular Member

i doubt. i'm not sure if one can swing one's racket without gravity in space as fast as one does on earth. what do you guys think?

13. yy_ling

yy_ling Regular Member

Student
    you can sleep in your car, just adjust the seat lay it down and you can sleep, although its kinda cramp