where do you look when you serve?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by kwun, Jan 31, 2005.

?

where do you look when you serve?

1. i look down at the birdie

4 vote(s)
    20.0%
  2. i stare at my opponent

1 vote(s)
    5.0%
  3. i look at where i am planning to hit

9 vote(s)
    45.0%
  4. i look at empty space.

1 vote(s)
    5.0%
  5. i look all over the place

3 vote(s)
    15.0%
  6. other.

3 vote(s)
    15.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. germanOne

germanOne Regular Member

look

look at the opponent before u serve, than at the ball when u serve

2. rajp25

rajp25 Regular Member

student
    i'm still perfecting my serve, so i usually make sure everything is set and focus where i want to hit the shuttle.

3. HKChua

HKChua Regular Member

Software Architect
    Hold the cork portion with your left hand fingers, use the racket frame to hit the feathers, so that the shuttlecork will perform somersaulting over the net, taking a irregular path of travel.

You opponent will kneel down because they don't know where to wait for the shuttle...:D

Thanks.

4. penga

penga Regular Member

i look at my opponent and if where he stands exactly to check for a `weak`side that i could send my serve to and then i just try bluff and look everywhere and nowhere to make sure he has no idea what kind of serve iam up to send him...

5. christoffer

christoffer Regular Member

Trainer
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe there are rules of service which says that you aren't allowed to serve by hitting the feathers, it must be the cork.

6. HKChua

HKChua Regular Member

Software Architect
    OK... I will serve again.

Hold the feather portion with your left hand fingers, use the racket frame to tab the cork, so that the shuttlecork will perform somersaulting over the net, taking a irregular path of travel.

You opponent will kneel down because they don't know where to wait for the shuttle...:D

Thanks.

7. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    I look at my opponents when i serve. I probably can serve with my eyes closed. hehehe.. just joking. I look at the shuttle first then i look at the opponent and serve.

8. Misbehavin

Misbehavin Regular Member

Bean counting part time, imaginary baddy fulltime
    Just for interest

I played against a player last night that looked at the intersection betweeen the trim and service lines but of course he can see me at the corner of his eye. He did this all game.

I was totally uncomfortable as it was quite different...basically I tried to ignore it and just watch the shuttle and racket... but when he slows his service down I can't help but follow his eye briefly.:eek:

I thought it would be more effective if it was done intermittently.

Just my 2 cents worth. :)

9. acolyte

acolyte Regular Member

i had some training with my coach, and when i looked at him, i acutally served higher than usual. I guess its very different for everyone

10. leprechaun

leprechaun Regular Member

1.look at oponent
    2.look at wherever iam going to place the shuttle (and look to see if he noticed that and then delibratly put it in a diffrent place)
    3.look at shuttle
    4.look at racket as i go to hit shuttle
    5.then follow shuttle to wherever it goes while getting ready to recive

11. phil_li

phil_li Regular Member

Medical.
    I personally find I aim better (especially with forehand serve) to keep my eyes on the birdie.

But sometimes when I do backhand serve (it seems much more natural to me), I sometimes stare at opponent and a lot of the time I force him to smile or laugh, and then have to restart...i like to break the ice sometimes :p!

12. Baderz_Jas

Baderz_Jas Regular Member

Student, business man wannabe =P
    I look at where my opponent is standing, the grip holding and the body balance, then at the birdie. Then I imagine how I'll play the rally in my head for 2-3 seconds :confused: (eg. attacking backhand, net area etc. :D ), then quick glance/stare :D at my opponent then back to the birdie and after that I hit. :)

13. frendies

frendies Regular Member

medical
    Look where the opponent is standing and his stance, then just look at the net to serve :)

14. CkcJsm

CkcJsm Regular Member

i look everywhere on that list.

15. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    You must cultivate a deliberate routine when you serve. First, check that your feet are not on the boundary line. Second, look at your opponent's feet to see if he or she has left an opening by standing too far back or too far to one side, and to see where he holds his or her racquet. Thirdly, look at the tape and target area to imprint the height and length needed in the mind, which activates the muscles. Lastly, try to forget your menacing opponent, look only at the shuttle as you serve. Be confident, as confidence is everything.

16. K NINE

K NINE New Member

i look at the part of the ceiling that is directly above the opponents back tram lines. this realy does work and helps me keep to consistent length when playing in singles. However in doubles i tend to look where i want to hit it E.G just the other side of the service line. But this has obvious weaknesses as the oponent can find out where you are planning to hit the serve by simply looking at your eyes.

17. PhuzyBuny

PhuzyBuny Regular Member

I rarely look at the position where i plan to hit directly, i mostly scan the entire court on my opponent side and also look at my opponent directly. By looking at your opponent you can learn a lot about what they're prepared for and an idea as to how to attack. Once i have decided where to hit, i often just look at my opponent but focus on my peripheral vision to see where im going to hit. Sometimes i even look just above my opponent, further utilizing my peripheral vision. Looking at the opponent directly, i find is a distraction but i do it before is serve to get an idea as to where to hit, after that i look mainly above, or indirectly at my opponent.

18. Tony Roddis

Tony Roddis Regular Member

I usually look at the shuttle in hand, Then if flick serving i just serve ,but if its a short serve the second i make eye contact i serve this puts the opposition hopefully on the back foot

19. jko9830

jko9830 Regular Member

Student
    i look at where i want to serve and at the net.

20. olle_whitehead

olle_whitehead Regular Member

i always stare at the T whether i'm flick serving, serving wide or serving towards the T dont ask me why because i dont know i just do and some person will probally be proclaiming i'm doing somethnig horribly wrong but thats what i do and thats what i always intend to do