Fit-again Choong Hann, Roslin under the microscope in Denmark

Discussion in 'Denmark Open / Dutch Open 2006' started by jaclyn, Oct 28, 2006.

1. jaclyn

jaclyn Regular Member

student
    PETALING JAYA: Malaysians will be paying special attention to the performances of men singles veterans Wong Choong Hann and Mohd Roslin Hashim when the Denmark Open begins in Aarhus on Wednesday.

Choong Hann is taking part in his first tournament after five months after his unfortunate injury - a ruptured Archilles tendon - during the Thomas Cup Finals in Japan in May.

And based on the draw released by the Badminton World Federation (BWF), Choong Hann, who became a proud father on Oct 18 to a baby girl, would be facing three Danish players in early rounds.

He has been drawn to play Kasper Ipsen in the opening round. It will get tougher in the second as he is tipped to face an aggressive Niels Christian Kaldau in the second round. If he goes through, he will most likely be up against top seed Peter Gade-Christensen of Denmark in the third round.

As for Roslin, he is bent on proving a point in his second home.

The Nusa Mahsuri shuttler, who had been playing for the Vendsyssyl Badminton Club since September, will take on England’s Amir Ghaffar in the first round.

He has a smooth path until the quarter-finals, where he is expected to face China Open champion and second seed Chen Hong of China.

If he clears the hurdle, he is likely to take on Kenneth Jonassen of Denmark in the semi-finals.

Besides Choong Hann and Roslin, Malaysia will also be represented by Kuan Beng Hong, K. Yogendran, Sairul Amar Ayob, Pei Wei Chung, Ismail Saman and Lee Tsuen Seng in the Danish tournament.

In the men’s doubles, Malaysia will be banking on three pairs – World Cup runner-up Mohd Fairuzizuan Mohd Tazari-Lin Woon Fui, who have been seeded second, Tan Boon Heong-Hoon Thien How and Tan Bin Shen-Ong Soon Hock.

The top seeded pair is the Danish combination and two-time All-England champions Jens Eriksen-Martin Lundgaard Hansen.

Both Indonesia and China have decided to field their second stringers for the tournament. Indons will be banking on Hendra A. Gunawan-Joko Riyadi and Rian Sukmawan-Eng Hian while China are experimenting with Zhang Wei-Xu Chen and Shen Ye-He Hanbin.

http://www.thestar.com.my/sports/story.asp?file=/2006/10/29/sports/15857945&sec=sports

2. Dreamzz

Dreamzz Regular Member

wow, tough draw for WCH.
    i think the match against Kaldau will be close, but i doubt he'll be able to overcome PG in his first competitive tournament.

3. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Roslin's performance will be very interesting. Because he's playing regular competitive badminton, his match sharpness could be pretty good. I wonder if that's a reason for his better results in recent tournaments.

Can't expect much from WCH. Anything past the 2nd round is a bonus.

4. jane_my

jane_my Regular Member

audit assistant
    WCH is a father already???

:D conglates WCH!!
    wish him good luck in his first tournament after Thomas Cup.:)

5. Blurry D

Blurry D Regular Member

Corporate Strategy
    WCH was one of my fave last time..I think he is getting old..We all grow old. I can still remember the glorious day in 1992.I was 7 then, but i still can remember..Hopefully the newbies will play a good one.

6. yannie

yannie Regular Member

I'm going nuts soon... What the newspaper said is wrong.

NEWEST: TBH/HTH and Fairuz/lin will NOT come to Denmark Open...

7. emms626

emms626 Regular Member

student
    congratulation 2 choon hann !!!

8. yannie

yannie Regular Member

Okay.. one more bad news (perhaps)

Kuan Beng Hong is maybe not coming..

9. emms626

emms626 Regular Member

student
    yannie~~~why ~~~~

10. chibe_K

chibe_K Regular Member

On paper it looks like a 5* tournament. In reality, it looks like a 4* if China and INA have decided to send their second stringers.....my prediction, team Mal should have a chance (MD?) this time ! FOUR is the magic number !

11. Dreamzz

Dreamzz Regular Member

so what does this mean, the only MAS MD is TBS/OSH?
    i haven't seen a redraw yet on the website ...

12. yannie

yannie Regular Member

No, Mas MD are
    1. Tan Bin Shen/Ong Soon Hock
    2. Fairuz/Lin Woon Fui

Anne said she met them already...

13. Dreamzz

Dreamzz Regular Member

i see, i see, i got confused by your earlier post.
    cause all i heard from the star was that TBH was not coming because he's preparing for the AG with KKK.
    i just saw the game MF/LWF played against CY/FHF, and they were very good indeed.
    i hope they give the danes a run for their money, although rexy's expectation that they win the title might be a bit optimistic .... they certainly have a chance!

14. chibe_K

chibe_K Regular Member

I believe this time Rexy is not over optimistic. Indeed, Mal team should do well this time with the absense of first stringers from INA and CHN

Based on my observation, Mal can beat any team in a tournament if facing them one-on-one.

#14 chibe_K, Oct 30, 2006
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2006
  15. Han

Han Regular Member

Engineer
    So close yet so far

The question is will the Malaysians do well enough to win the title, the answer most probably is NO, will be another "so close yet so far" :crying:

16. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    Yes.. we have way too many " So close yet so far " encounters. Need to change them.

17. badMania

badMania Regular Member

Mohd Fairuzizuan Mohd Tazari/Lin Woon Fui and Hoon Thien How/Tan Boon Heong are BOTH COMING to Aarhus.

It will be Hoon/Tan's final appearance as a pair as Rexy and Kim Hock have already decided to pair CCM with TBH (with the 2008 and 2012 Olympics in mind), while HTH will be paired with the 26 yo CCM.

18. X Ball

X Ball Regular Member

It is good that Malaysia is not building up any expectation in this Asian Games except where doubles is concerned. If this is the target, then I guess no one would be terribly blamed if not a lot is achieved.

But it is wrong coz I remember LCW saying that he wanted to focus on Asian Games rather than the World Cup coz it comes round only once every 2/4 yrs (pardon my ignorance). So LCW must perform accordingly and win, and he might do that. But my point, Singles must be counted on in Malaysians delivering. If not, then BAM would have failed again.

19. yannie

yannie Regular Member

OMG, blur now... are you sure badmania? Damn confused, been confused for many many days already, are they coming or not. Why all his Kedah friends says he's NOT coming. And that HTH will pair with CCM.

I'll find out later today when I arrive in Aarhus... a big FAINT.

20. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    You got it right Badmania.

Anyway for WCH fan's don't expect any miracles yet. We hope he will do well.

Will get more updates from KKK and CCM when i meet them later.