Malaysian team situation

Discussion in 'Malaysia Professional Players' started by Alaric, Oct 25, 2006.

1. Alaric

Alaric Regular Member

IT Consultant
    I feel really sorry for the Malasian players as they have been put under so much pressure recently, especially at the recent world championships. :mad:

They have some really great players, in doubles and singles, but it was almost like they were told, one of you must get a gold medal or else . . . :eek:

No one can play under that kind of pressure. Badminton is all about reactions, touch and control, and all those things are effected when people are nervous or stressed.

I can understand that the whole country wants them to do well, and I'm sure there is no problems with their motivation and commitment, but they just need a bit of space and a chance to play with out the weight of the country's expectation on their shoulders. Given a bit more time I'm sure they will come good.

Just remember as they always say, "form is temporary, class is permanent!" :D

2. Inky2000

Inky2000 Regular Member

It's a bold move ... Fairuzizuan and Woon Fui will be the first doubles pair for Malaysia ... Indonesia often did that (sacking seniors in favour of youngsters in team competitions) in the past but not Malaysia.

On the other hand, it would be good if BAM could groom two more world beater pairs of KKK-Joanne Quay (XD) and KKK-Tan Boon Heong (MD).

Badminton: Change of partners for Doha
    By LIM TEIK HUAT

PETALING JAYA: The World Championships bronze medal winning mixed doubles partnership of Koo Kien Keat-Wong Pei Tty will not feature in the Doha Asian Games.
    Instead, Kien Keat will partner former national women’s doubles player Joanne Quay while Pei Tty will combine with Mohd Fairuzizuan Mohd Tazari.
    Yesterday, the Badminton Association of Malaysia (BAM) also got the nod from the Olympic Council of Malaysia to submit the names of doubles players Fairuzizuan, Lin Woon Fui and Tan Boon Heong as replacements for Choong Tan Fook, Lee Wan Wah and Chan Chong Ming.
    Fairuzizuan and Woon Fui, who were the runners-up in the World Cup in China last week, will be the first men’s doubles pair while Kien Keat will form the second ranked combination with Boon Heong.
    Tan Fook, Wan Wah and Chong Ming have been dropped from the squad because of poor form.
    Kien Keat-Pei Tty have been playing together for some time and splitting their partnership is certainly a surprise.
    National chief coach Yap Kim Hock said: “Joanne is a good mixed doubles player and we felt that it will be good to test a partnership with Kien Keat at the Asian Games.
    “Joanne did well in the mixed doubles with New Zealand’s Daniel Shirley in the Japan Open recently. We believe that with Kien Keat, we will have a strong partnership to challenge for medals in Doha.”
    Joanne of the Kuala Lumpur Racket Club (KLRC) teamed up with Shirley to score a first-round victory over world number five Thomas Laybourn-Kamilla Rytter Juhl of Denmark at the Japan Open.
    Kim Hock added that they also wanted Pei Tty to concentrate more on the women’s doubles with Chin Eei Hui.
    “We felt that Pei Tty-Eei Hui stand a very good chance to win a medal. Pei Tty will still play in the mixed doubles with Fairuzizuan but her emphasis will be on the women’s doubles,” he said.
    On the inclusions of Fairuzizuan, Woon Fui and Boon Heong, Kim Hock said that it would be a good experience for them.
    “The younger players have been performing better than the seniors in recent times and this is a good chance for them to come up,” he said.
    “The experience will be good for them, especially when we have the SEA Games and Sudirman Cup (mixed team) competitions coming up next year.”
    The four singles players in the men’s team for the Doha Asiad are Lee Chong Wei, Mohd Hafiz Hashim, Kuan Beng Hong and Mohd Roslin Hashim. The other members of the women’s team are Wong Mew Choo, Julia Wong, Norsyaliza Baharum, Lim Pek Siah and Ooi Sock Ai.

#2 Inky2000, Oct 30, 2006
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2006
  3. Hitman71

Hitman71 Regular Member

MAS need misbun

I disagree, first of all misbun is a local while Li Mao is a foreign coach. Misbun will set a standard by training player from Nusa Mashuri, while the imported coach must train his player to be better than Misbun, so that he is justified. This will keep the standard of training high with each coach will try to prove that they are better. In other word this will keep the check and balance.

4. blessing

blessing Regular Member

i disagree with dat... they keep on changing partners..sigh.. kien keat n pei tty had been partnering 4 a long time n they r top pairs of MAS.. Joanne may play well wif Shirley.. but can both of them play well if they r partnering together?? i think its a big risk..

5. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

It's for experience , not gold

Note how BAM talk about for future Games now while the AG is the one of concern.Typical BAM,just cannot reflect and learn. The new XDs, one for warming up,the other to win. They have confidence in KKK to have the energy to win at least one title from two events (not in this AG tho') when more highly rated competitors are concentrating on just one event.It's called 'doubling the chances'.I call it 'doubling none'.See the different treatment of the seniors and newbies? There's no writing down to get gold now. Just get the experience to benefit for the future.One good thing comes out of this.No more predictions about gold for AG.

6. Inky2000

Inky2000 Regular Member

Yes, I think the KKK-WPT pair may not be able to make further breakthrough - the surprised WC medal was probably due to sheer luck. It's probably better for WPT to concentrate on WD while KKK's partnering of the younger (compared to WPT) JQ may go far in a couple of year's time.

7. zqloy

zqloy Regular Member

Joanne Quay is much older than WPT....:cool:

8. BaddestHawaii

BaddestHawaii Regular Member

Misbun The Culprit!

ops! :eek::eek: wrong forums

#8 BaddestHawaii, Oct 30, 2006
  9. BaddestHawaii

BaddestHawaii Regular Member

Misbun The Culprit!

If I remember correctly, Misbun was BAM chief coach b4 Yap Kim Hock. Misbun decided to step down because he knew that he failed to do a good job. (at least he knows that =P). His explaination was he wanted to focus on Men's Singles players because he cannot focus on MS as chief coach. That time, LCW,Lee Tsen Seng, Hafiz etc are all under him. None of them produce good results until Li Mao take charge of LCW. I think all of us agree that LCW improve (needless to say here). With bless, BAM hired Rexy, we finally see some colors in MD. But what happen to other MS players under Misbun charge? They produce nothing except getting older every year. I hate to say that but it is obviously a truth. Then, Misbun said he wanted to focus on one player since again he failed to do a good job in MS. Fine, He owns Hafiz. Now he can really focus on one (Hafiz) but what happen to Hafiz lately? By looking at his recent WC result. Hafiz lost to Lin Dan straight game 21-10,21-9. How are we going to justify that? It is no fight at all. (I am sure Lin Dan is laughing inside while playing Hafiz). How’s Misbun going to coach Hafiz? Oh…lift the bird higher so that Lin Dan cannot smash on his face so hard? Come'on Misbun, if you doesn’t know how to coach, leave BAM alone, coach junior players teaching them how to serve….
    Hafiz has all the talent, physical shape and all that and I don't see any reason for his poor performance.....of course I know it is not easy to play any chinese players but I don't see why he cannot even make it a close game!!!

#9 BaddestHawaii, Oct 30, 2006
  10. malaysia boleh?

malaysia boleh? Regular Member

Finally BAM got it right. Why let Joanne partner a foreigner since Malaysia has so many great doubles players. It's a disgrace if BAM can't find a partner for Joanne. Anyway no matter how BAM switch the combination, the result will be the same. We can never be champion. If BAM is really serius..it need to pay special attention (and learn to respect) mix doubles like Indonesia. Nova Widianto-Liyana Natsir..only concentrate and play in mix doubles..that's why they are so good.

11. Dreamzz

Dreamzz Regular Member

joanne was free to partner whoever she wanted because she's no longer part of the national team. i wonder if they'll reinstate her now considering she's done so well with shirley. poor shirley though!
    :cool:

12. malaysia boleh?

malaysia boleh? Regular Member

After the Danish girl and the Malaysian girl..who will be the next Mr Shirley's partner??? Any interested party kindly contact Mr Shirley..the search is on.

Just a joke. Shirley is a great player. He is from New Zealand yet he play fantastic badminton. He managed to produce result after only a few months partnering an ex BAM player..speaks a lot of his quality. If only Malaysia can have a great mix double player like Shirley....

13. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    Its a good move that Joanne is partnering KKK in the MXD. I personally think they will go far since Joanne is a more experienced MXD player than WPT.

14. Malaysianfan

Malaysianfan Regular Member

Is this the Joanne Quay Siew Ling who won the World Junior Mixed Double Title with Chong Ming(Not sure which guy) a few years before?If it is the same Joanne, i just don't understand why BAM has wasted her talent for so many years already.

15. baihaki_as

baihaki_as Regular Member

i like CTF-LWW they just not being consistent , and the important that CTF_LWW the one who find the formula to beat CY/FHF

16. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Thread split from "Sack LWW-CTF" thread as going way off topic.

It's the same Joanne Quay. I think it was her own decision to leave BAM and badminton. She is making a comeback.

17. Hitman71

Hitman71 Regular Member

Hafiz & Roslin also have reach semi finals, finals and also win few tournaments under Misbun coaching. Maybe he is not a great coach but definately not the worse. And If Im not mistaken he was BAM chief coach for only a short period of time. BTW Roslin did beat LCW in the korean open this year made it to the final. And there is also Hafiz vs Roslin in another final which I don't remember ... correct me if Im wrong. Still anyway I still think BAM need him to keep the competition level high between the player and coach internally.

18. Hitman71

Hitman71 Regular Member

If I'm mistaken LCW was also train by Misbun in his younger days, and Li Mao just countinue it and make him a star. Maybe we should just ask the palyers, WCH, LCH, Hafiz, Roslin and others about this ....

19. BadFever

BadFever Regular Member

I had a chance to watch Joanne/Shirley play in the recent Australian tournament. All I can say is their combination is very very strong. Joanne has very deceptive front court coverage and Daniel has very powerful and also deceptive shots at the back. Awesome.

As for KKK/Joanne partnership, I doubt it will be good because KKK doesn't seem to enjoy covering the back court. I only hope KKK is not going to fight to stay in front and leave Joanne at the back of the court. :p Joanne doesn't have powerful smash like WPT.

20. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    Misbun and Li Mao have different sets of program for the players. Li Mao is more of enhancing what Misbun has done. This doesn't mean that Misbun's programme doesn't work. Its good also to have outsider like Li Mao to polish our players.