big bonus awaits taufik at home

Discussion in 'Asian Games 2006 - Badminton' started by taufik-ist, Dec 10, 2006.

1. -MiYu-

-MiYu- Regular Member

Student
    yep, his father-in-law, Agum Gumelar. hes not just a badminton player, hes also a superstar.

2. westwood_13

westwood_13 Regular Member

Student
    It certainly is more difficult in terms of reaction time. However, though as much practice is required and more danger is involved, I'd say it's less grueling, since the machine and it's construct is worth 90% of your results, the rest being reaction time and knowing what to do when.

Of course, being an ecofreak, I'm rather biased against F1 as it seems (to me) to be a rather senseless use of a lot of fossil fuels, materials, and research that could be committed to more useful applications. Is watching cars go in circles around a track really that interesting? Perhaps I just don't get it.

I like that badminton seems somewhat more sustainable, heh, not to mention trains the mind, body, reflexes, and requires an incredible amount of everything... mental toughness, precision, endurance, strength. Although I admit that the disposability of the shuttles, not to mention the fates of the birds with which they are made, is rather depressing.

3. OneToughBirdie

OneToughBirdie Regular Member

engineer
    Agree with U of course. Mega revenue streams support from commercials and advertisements make those sports popular and well paid. Most sports are tough especially at the very top level, but badminton being not popular in North America will not tap into the revenue streams...why do U think WC05 is held in Anaheim when there are lots of empty seats and even then is attended mostly by Asians spectators in the finals. INA and MAS guarantee IBF full house if WC05 is held there, yet IBF choose Anaheim...to break into North America...IBF even use the 21-point to attract TV coverage.

4. super__gao

super__gao Regular Member

hockey players have to play games a 2-3 times a week from september-april and thats not including the playoff. on top of that, they travel from city to city living out of a suitcase.

in november, the anaheim ducks played games on these dates: 1, 3, 6, 9, 10, 12, 15, 17, 19, 21, 22, 24, 26, 28 and 29. plus, the teams have to practice almost everyday.
    no badminton player could do that. period. LD and Taufik did not attend a single tournament in novemeber, not including DOHA which started nov30.

51000 USD a bonus??? lol to sports stars in europe/north america that is pocket change. $51000 compared to 19 year old sports stars who are making almost $1000000 a year. lol

IBF tried to popularize badminotn in USA. why do u think they held 05 WC in anaheim?? plus, an american team WON the WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS of BADMINTON! but it is still not popular
    lol, badminton probably will never be a main stream sport anywhere in the world cept, china/malaysia/indo/korea?/japan?

5. OneToughBirdie

engineer
    Bird end up in Chinatown eatery...crispy and tasty....hahahahaha [​IMG]

6. westwood_13

Student
    Hahahaha, well at least that's a sustainable use!

7. OneToughBirdie

engineer
    Cannot agree with U more that hockey players train very hard and I love Wayne Gretzky having stayed in Edmonton from 1978 to 1988, watched the best hockey ever played (Calgary Flames fans would have something to say about this)....but they are very well compensated for their efforts and that include those mediocre players too...because North America is obscenely rich. I admire badminton players for playing this sport when the reward is paltry for the effort put in. C$100K for the second ranked player in the world, LCW is barely that of an petroleum engineer in Calgary.

8. westwood_13

Student
    Agreed. I'd say something about the outrageous salaries of North American pros (NFL, MLB, and NBA being probably the worst offenders), but athletes can't do this forever... they have perhaps ten years of high-level international competition in them, at most, and run the constant risk of injury.

World badminton players cannot realistically be expected to live sufficiently on the salaries they are currently provided (especially in countries where the currency is worth more), and these salaries certainly cannot provide them with a living wage once they retire from the sport.

And yet, badminton is allegedly the second most popular sport in the world! The disparity is appalling.

9. jgao_net

jgao_net Regular Member

student
    you really under-estimate the physical and mental ability that a F1 driver must have to race :)
    if you ask me, an F1 drivers mental health is unrivaled to any sport in the world

10. westwood_13

Student
    even skeleton?

I certainly don't have the mental toughness to speed down ice facefirst without being able to see the (highly variable) track ahead of me.

Although I seem to be contributing to off-topic-ness, oops.

11. OneToughBirdie

engineer
    Agree, one mistake in F1 or Indy could be fatal. I have a hard time accepting FI, and even golf (where some players are really not fit) as sports. Can someone confirm for me that ball room dancing is an olympic sports, I heard it was once proposed but not sure if it becomes an Olympic event. Now, Ireally get a lot of flak for mentioning golf...hahahaha! lol.[​IMG]

12. nanofans

nanofans Regular Member

You are right.
    Officially, each AG gold medal equals to RMB30,000 (US$4,000), announced by the national sports beauru. Gold medalists will get extra bonus from provincial sports beaurus, ranging from RMB 30,000 to 100,000. But the prize may be shared by their coaches. Poor guys and gals.:crying: :p

OG bonus can be tens or hundreds times better, if you take the following-on contracts into account.;)

It is understandable considering the huge number of medals in each AG even OG. If every championship was awarded a new house, we will run out of land very soon. :D :D

13. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    i was referring to prize money from the tournament itself. I didn't see winners holding any checks on the podium. The bonus from OG, AG and WC come from outside the tournaments.

14. nugroho

nugroho Regular Member

it nothing to be sorry about the currency....
    if you want to talk about currency then you should no longer exclud General Income per capita, National Income, and the other minor factor that needs to be consider. :cool:

15. eskey

eskey Regular Member

yes, it's not really about the currency exchange rate, but more on what can you buy with that amount of money, or rather how long can you survive with that money. Just for easy example USD1 = +/- Rp 9100, with USD1 in indonesia you can buy lunch with drink probably, but in US, can you buy lunch with 1 dollar?

16. franxon

franxon Regular Member

LD can't. if one AG gold is worth USD 50k, China has won 100+ golds, and the government gotta pay out USD 5M!

USD 50K is for an Olympic Gold in China.
    an Olympic Gold in Singapore is SGD 1M!

talking about Olympic Golds, it is estimated that China spent RMB 700M (USD 90M) on each Olympic Gold.

17. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    His wife is gonna make him even more happy. hehe.
    rgds