Tan Boon Heong

Discussion in 'Malaysia Professional Players' started by yannie, May 14, 2006.

1. erin_hakkinen

erin_hakkinen Regular Member

Business Student
    Just as you said, Loh ;)

Source: www.thestar.com.my
    Monday December 11, 2006

Parents happy with shuttlers’ triumph
    By SIRA HABIBU and S. SIVABALAN

ALOR STAR: Tan Yoon Meng never scolded Boon Heong when he did not do well in school as he knew his son's mind was set on badminton.
    Tan also has no regrets about sending Boon Heong away to Selangor at the age of 14 so that he could get a better shot at becoming a national player.
    Early yesterday, Boon Heong, 19, and his doubles partner Koo Kien Keat, 21, did the nation proud when they bagged the men's doubles badminton gold medals in the Doha Asian Games.
    The duo's victory ended a 36-year wait for an Asian Games badminton gold medal.
    [​IMG] SUCCESSFUL PARTNERSHIP: Boon Heong (left) and Kien Keat posing with their gold medals in Doha.
    “I used to take him to badminton courts when he was young. While I played he watched. Now he plays and I watch excitedly.
    “He called me at about 2am right after the game to ask how I felt. I told him I was very proud of him,” Tan said at the family's home here yesterday.
    Boon Heong's mother Yeap Lan Gek, 47, said she missed her son when he was schooling in Selangor.
    “I was worried for him because he was still young. But I guess all the sacrifices and the agony of separation were worth it because it was for his own good,” she said.
    [​IMG] KIN SUPPORT: Sok Sim, Yeap and Tan going through old newspaper cuttings and medals belonging to Boon Heong at their home in Alor Star yesterday.
    His only sister Sok Sim, 21, said Boon Heong had told her when he was 12 years old that he wished to appear on national television one day.
    “Now he has gone further than his dream, he is on international television. I am very proud of him,” she added.
    Badminton coach Low Kean Tiong said Boon Heong showed just how much passion he had for the game because he would take the trouble to go to the badminton training centre at Liew Kwang Cheng Zhao Association building at Lebuhraya Sultan Abdul Halim every day after school just to collect worn out shuttle cocks.
    “He was only eight years old then but was brave enough to enter the hall where older boys and grown-ups were playing badminton.
    “I asked Boon Heong then to seek his father’s permission to join my training classes and I am glad he did,” said Low.
    Meanwhile, Kien Keat's father Koo Chiew Wah said he was happy that his son and Boon Heong had made their mark at the Asian Games.
    “Before he left for Doha, I told him to give his best and also not to get stressed up during the matches.
    “I am proud of the way Kien Keat played and given his all at the Asian Games,” he added.
    Koo said he normally did not keep in touch with Kien Keat when he competed in tournaments overseas.
    “But this time, he bought some telephone cards in Doha and contacted us frequently. We also watched all his matches. Overall, my son and his partner worked hard for the win. “Of course, we will be celebrating his win but I can't think of how to celebrate his achievement at the moment,” added the 59-year-old.

2. Jessica

Jessica Regular Member

Student
    Wow..their parents must be very proud of them...Well...As a malaysian,we proud of them too...Now,they become the most famous peoples in mas...

3. munyoke

munyoke Regular Member

WOW.... I doesnt know TBH looks like edison until u ppl mention it, anyway i agree he look more alike to edison not jimmy...:D :D :D :D

4. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Thank you, I've done so. :D

5. emmsfan

emmsfan Regular Member

Student
    GO KKK!!! The reigning Asian Champs, Koo Kien Keat- Tan Boon Heong........ That sounds good, very good.... Hope you win the Olympics medal next and more to come !!!!!! The first thing KKK did when he won was to lie down on the floor, did he kiss it like one of the tennis players did once??? :D

6. C L BAO

C L BAO Regular Member

Student
    :D I guess he did, didnt he? HAHA...Absolutely proud of them. :D

7. chehsi

chehsi Regular Member

Administrative
    I was watching the Asian Games Finals of KKK/TBH vs INA with someone... and that person was so amazed with TBH.. and said that he's probably the next Cheah Soon Kit... cuz' his smashes are good.. strong.. and he jumps real high too :p

8. sweetgal

sweetgal Regular Member

yea.. tbh is quickly gettin himself into my fav players list. haha. congrats!! he goes well with kkk-tbh. they can even win the world championships, all england n olympics if they dun get too big headed n dun look down on other players' skills, and of course always work hard. anyway, with a lil more experience, they will be the top pair! and i look forward to watching them more! haha

9. yannie

yannie Regular Member

[​IMG]
    陳文宏(左)與古健傑,再次展示他們的亞運金牌,近視近千度的古健傑,戴上眼鏡示人。

10. chehsi

chehsi Regular Member

Administrative
    aik? didn't know KKK wears specs? :p

What it says there in chinese? (sorry.. chinese illiterate).

11. Jessica

Jessica Regular Member

Student
    Ya...KKK has serious short-sightened problem which is happen when he is born...But this didn't affect his passion towards badminton and now he became a great player...

12. zqloy

zqloy Regular Member

Lol.... KKK look funny with the glasses, he looks kinda nerdy :p:p:p

13. Jessica

Jessica Regular Member

Student
    Ya...He look very differents when he is on court...

14. munyoke

munyoke Regular Member

TBH don't look like he is 19, he look more mature than it... but he is cute.... :D :D :D :D

15. Baderz_Jas

Baderz_Jas Regular Member

Student, business man wannabe =P
    didn't know KKK wore glasses before :p he looks funny indeed :D lol :rolleyes:

16. chehsi

chehsi Regular Member

Administrative
    oh? means he wears contact lens when playing? (reminds me of rashid sidek)

17. chehsi

chehsi Regular Member

Administrative
    [​IMG]

Ahahahha.. i can't help laughing looking at this picture. I imagine KKK saying Ya Malauna!

Anyone got the news that goes with this pic? I only bought Star but not NST.

18. asyachumel

asyachumel New Member

heyy
    im fan of tbh also
    he sooo cute
    =p

19. emms626

emms626 Regular Member

student
    arab~~~~~~~~~~~hahaha~~~funny

20. C L BAO

C L BAO Regular Member

Student
    陳文宏(左)與古健傑,再次展示他們的亞運金牌,近視近千度的古健傑,戴上眼鏡示人.
    This chinese words says:
    tan boon heong (left) and koo kien keat, showing their asian games gold medal. koo who has short shightedness by 1000 degrees was wearing specs.

HAHA...Koo looks different with specs, not nerdy to me, but looks good in a different way. :D