Laws of Badminton after May 2006

Discussion in 'Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating' started by Loh, Nov 20, 2006.

1. Pball

Pball Regular Member

9.2 Once the players are redy for the service, the first forward movement of the server's racket head shall be the start of the service.

So, please correct me if I interpret this incorrectly, but I can start to move the moment the racket head of my oppenent starts moving forward?? Or do I still need for the racket to contact the bird?

2. Neil Nicholls

Neil Nicholls Regular Member

If you mean "can the receiver move when the server's racquet head moves forward?"
    No.

Law 9.1.3.
    some part of both feet of the server and the receiver shall remain in contact with the surface of the court in a stationary position from the start of the service (Law 9.2) until the service is delivered (Law 9.3)

Once started (Law 9.2), the service is delivered when the shuttle is hit by the server's racquet, or, in attempting to serve, the server misses the shuttle

3. CWB001

CWB001 Regular Member

The receiver must obey law 9.1.3:

"9.1.3 some part of both feet of the server and the receiver shall remain in contact with the surface of the court in a stationary position from the start of the service (Law 9.2) until the service is delivered (Law 9.3);"

So you cannot move your feet until the shuttle has been struck (or missed!!).

Bah! Beaten by moments - simultaneous answering.

4. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    What if you just move your body and racquet hand forward but keep both feet on the court? This will still put the receiver nearer to the net.

5. Neil Nicholls

9.1.9. is a new law
    in attempting to serve, the server shall not miss the shuttle

6. Neil Nicholls

I would expect that to be legal, as long as the feet remain stationary (no sliding)

7. CWB001

CWB001 Regular Member

That is fine and perfectly legal. But you may be generating an impulsion which prevents you reacting to a flick serve. And a player that does consistently this will receive a lot of flick serves.

8. CWB001

CWB001 Regular Member

You are quick on the draw today, Neil. We'll have to try flicking you.

9. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Service Court Errors (Law 12)

Since we are on the subject of service, I would like to point out some changes between the New and the Old laws on Service Court Errors.

Old Laws

12.1 A service court error has been made when a player:

12.1.1 has served out of turn;
    12.1.2 has served from the wrong service court; or
    12.1.3 standing in the wrong service court, was prepared to receive the service and it has been delivered.

New Laws

12.1.1 has served or received out of turn; or
    12.1.2 has served or received from the wrong service court;

(Simplified and less verbose)

Old Laws

12.2 If a service court error is discovered before the next service is delivered:

12.2.1 if one side made the error and won the rally, it shall be a 'let';
    12.2.2 if one side made the error and loss the rally, the error shall not be corrected;
    12.2.3 if both sides made an error, it shall be a 'let'.

12.3 If there is a 'let' because of a service court error, the rally shall be replayed with the error corrected.

12.4 If a service court error is discovered after the next service has been delivered, the error shall not be corrected and the play in that game shall proceed without changing the players' new service courts (nor, when relevant, the new order of serving).

New Laws

All the above from Law 12.2 to Law 12.4 have been reduced to just one simple law thus making it less confusing and discarding the need for 'let' calls.:

12.2 If a service court error is discovered, the error shall be corrected and the existing score shall stand.

Isn't this a vast improvement? :)

#49 Loh, Dec 13, 2006
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2006
  10. forpy09

forpy09 New Member

i would like to ask regarding a doubles game, "team "A" is the serving side. can his partner stand just outside the short service line before his partner can serve? like his partner is near the net?one foot is on the service court and the other foot is on the short service line.

and also can the receiving side can do this one?

11. lorus_blue

lorus_blue Regular Member

hope this helps;

" 9.1.2 the server and the receiver shall stand within diagonally opposite service courts (Diagram A) without touching the boundary lines of these service courts;"

" 9.5 In doubles, during the delivery of service (Law 9.2, 9.3), the partners may take up any positions within their respective courts, which do not unsight the opposing server or receiver."

12. forpy09

forpy09 New Member

so it means that it is legal. the partner of both the receiver and serving side can stand anywhere in the court.as long as they do not "block" the serving or receiving player

one more is there a rules thread here? or is this the one?

can you please also explain part 13.4.2 and 13.4.4

because for example someone is trying to block the shot by raising his racket in front of the net?!?(not invading the opposite side) is that legal?

13. bigfatfish

bigfatfish Regular Member

i am referring to ibf law 2006.
    (which i cannot remember where i downloaded it)

13.4.2 invades an opponent’s court over the net with racket or person except that the striker may follow the shuttle over the net with the racket in the course of a stroke after the initial point of contact with the shuttle is on the striker’s side of the net;​

13.4.4 obstructs an opponent, i.e. prevents an opponent from making a legal stroke where the shuttle is followed over the net;​

i think 13.4.2 means ur racket is only legally able to cross over the top of the net when u hit the bird on ur side, and the cross-over is a follow through, and ur racket (and any part of ur body, clothings) does not touch the net.​

i think 13.4.4 applies when the receiver's racket is held close to the net to prevent the striker from making the above mentioned stroke.
    (i could be wrong... if i am, please correct me)​

Query:
    when playing doubles, my friend was caught in a front-back formation
    (with him standing in the front) when the bird is high in the opponent's court (opponent smashing while my friend is in a wrong formation)

my friend just squatted down and raised his racket high, in attempt to save the smashes, which he did... trice (and went on to win the rally)!
    the fact is that his opponents were standing quite far from the net...​

so am i correct to say that my friend technically was not obstructing a legal stroke?​

#53 bigfatfish, Mar 6, 2007
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2007
  14. DarrenHart

DarrenHart Regular Member

Researcher
    I am curious about that example as well, several times i have seen people rush the net with racquets up and/or swinging as a total guess to where the shuttle may go before the stroke is made but they are not obstructing the stroke.

Would 13.4.5 apply as waving a racquet around could be classified as a distracting gesture ?

15. cheongsa

cheongsa Regular Member

Assistant Professor
    Your friend has not violated 13.4.4. Your opponents should look where they are smashing...

16. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    the receiving pair must stay within their own side, only the serving partner can stand anywhere he/she want in their court

if the receiver is standing inside the diagonal box, he can raise his racket as high as he wanted to. If u watch the pro, it is hardly done so it is not advantageous to do that.

#56 cooler, Mar 6, 2007
  17. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    A bit confusing, pls elaborate. The first part is apple, the second orange, as it appears.

18. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    I think it must be made clear that during the service, all the players (including the partners) must stand within their respective courts, not outside. In addition, there are stricter requirements for both the server and the receiver not to step on the lines (short service line, centre line, side line for singles and long service line for doubles) although their partners can do so without obstructing the view of their opponents.

But after the service, it is "free for all" so to speak, you can step on the lines except you can't invade your opponent's court but remain in your territory. Some of you might have seen TG or KKK dashing out of their court to retrieve a racket (presumably the one they're playing with is damaged or not working well) and quickly rushing back into court to help their partners with the ongoing rally. But the umpire did not call a fault if it is a genuine case and not one of trying to distract your opponents. :D

Regarding whether or not the receiver is at fault when he tries to block a shot from his opponent at the net by raising his racket, it depends on circumstances and the umpire is the sole judge of whether the block is an obstruction and/or distraction.

It will probably be an obstruction when both the striker and the receiver are very close to the net such that when executing the shot, the striker's stroke will be obstructed by the outstretched arm or raised racket of the receiver.

So I concur with cheongsa that in bigfatfish's case, his partner was never at any time obstructing the opponents as "they were standing quite far away from the net" to start off with. Quite rightly, his opponents could have hit anywhere in the court and not try to use his friend's body as target :D .

Also, even if both players are at close quarters at one end of the net, the receiver's similar action (raised racket) may not be construed as an obstruction since there is still room for the striker to cross the shuttle to the opposite end of the net or he could even lift it away from the receiver. So the umpire must be alert to such situations and not simply call a 'fault' when the striker is in no way being obstructed or distracted.

He might fault the receiver if he was trying to distract the striker by waving his racket unnecessarily (DarrenHart) or worse to add noise to his action. Or the umpire could choose to give him a warning first (Yellow card not Red), but that will not justify under "obstruction". :)

#58 Loh, Mar 6, 2007
  19. bigfatfish

bigfatfish Regular Member

Thank you guys for confirming my interpretation of the law 13.4.4 on
    'obstruction'.
    i believe i have seen a taiwanese video where they highlighted some
    of the (old) laws of badminton.

one example shows obstuction where a receiver and hitter both near
    the net and receiver raised his racket towards the net with an obvious
    intention to obstruct the hitter's stroke. rackets clashed as a result.
    the host (coach) further explained that if the receiver were to raise
    his racket on the intent to protect himself (his face) or in attempt to
    save the bird, it would be legal.
    (the illustrated example is however, a blatant obvious example)
    so like Loh, i believe the umpire has to judge vigilantly on this issue.

20. Neil Nicholls

9.1.2 the server and receiver shall stand within diagonally opposite service courts without touching the boundary lines of these service courts.

9.5 In doubles, during the delivery of the service, the partners may take up any positions within their respective courts, which do not unsight the opposing server or receiver.

9.5 means the partners can be anywhere in court on their side of the net (as long as they do not unsight...).
    It doesn't mean the partners have to be in the remaining service courts.

They don't have to be stationary, they don't have to have both feet on the floor (but they shouldn't distract the opponent).