Best Coach In Canada

Discussion in 'Canada West' started by black_knight006, Jun 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. devilcat

devilcat Regular Member

I believe Jon V and Brian Prevoe once had the ambitions to go pro, but because of the financial reason, they have to give up! It's so sad!

2. junkz

junkz Regular Member

there are several players coming up from but that depends mainly if they want to go pro in badminton. based on u23 national results, conrad and justin, alvin and toby are pretty good potentials to be moving up in MD, Mattieu Laforest and Chris Lee in MS could move up as well but that depends on whether they want to pursue the badminton on a whole different level. There are tons of youngsters out there but I personally Badminton Canada just doesn't give enough support to them for them to continue on- this includes both financial and mental which is very bad for us. ='(

3. timhortons

timhortons New Member

I would like to add a few comments on this..

I strongly agree that Badminton Canada should fund more for their players and really it is sad that Canada has so many talents but all of them just quit due to lack of funding.. sigh !

Best coach ? hmmm my vote goes to Wang Wen (and there are a lot of great coaches in Canada). Again it also has alot to do with the players themselves to get their asses going and really do what they can do. Coaches can help lots but at the end it is still the players. You can have the best coach in the world but really it is still in your hands.

4. Eurasian =--(O)

Eurasian =--(O) Regular Member

To achieve a sufficient world ranking Alex was told he would have to stay at the center or he wouldn't do well enough to qualify for the Olympics. Badminton Canada has guidelines saying a player must be top 19 in the world to qualify for the Olympics (appeals may be made).

Also Chris Lee is still a good player. Him and Alex were very close with Chris only losing to Alex the nationals before Alex went to Saarbruken. Yes Alex also still plays for fun maybe once a week or two weeks.

5. smash_master

smash_master Regular Member

player/coach/student
    He does he recently played in the alberta series event #1 at glencoe club with ardy in doubles lol so yeah he still plays and hes still got the touch.

6. Rekindled

Rekindled Regular Member

Schoool =/ And a summer job to make money for badm
    Hahaha Alex Pang trains me =D He took a year off school to go to germany to train all out, but then competed in an IBF tourney (german open?) and got completely owned and said it wasn't worth it, thats what I hear, and thats most likley the truth cause I heard it from my friends who have been coached by alex pang for quite a while. And yeah alex did play at the alberta series and hes currently coaching in calgary so he hasn't completely quit yet (Hes a mean coach!! Makes us do so much fitness! but I'm sure he was probably the player that trained the hardest in canada)

7. not4u

not4u Regular Member

Leafy foliage removal technician
    It is a shame that badminton canada sucks when it comes to supporting athletes in badminton compared to other countries and yet they base they're ranking on international points to which the player has to pay 1/2 his way or something like that? Who can possibly afford to train, travel internationally and play in tournaments to achieve a ranking (if they have skills to develop) on what Badminton Canada finances.

Not everyone has rich parents that foot the bill or the player have the willingness to live on the edge of poverty for that. Reality for most people dictates that won't happen so they end up having to join the real world working 40 hours/week to live. bleh.

8. derrickn

derrickn Regular Member

shoot, i cant remember who it was but she was on the canadian olympic team and she was a guest speaker at college nationals. she said it was around $40,000 so she can make it into the olympic team!!

somebody please correct me cuz i seriously cant remember ><!

9. Rekindled

Rekindled Regular Member

Schoool =/ And a summer job to make money for badm
    Charmaine reid? probably her but it could be.. anna rice? jody patrick?

10. derrickn

derrickn Regular Member

nope nope and.. nope.. i kno for sure it wasnt those 3 =\
    sorry

11. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    what year was she in the olympic team?

12. green_day

green_day Regular Member

Because Badminton Canada is broke and our Federal Government is busy spending money developing hockey talent rather than badminton. Care to guess how much Hockey Canada gets in funding? Now compare that to Badminton Canada.

Badminton is simply not a sport that brings in $$$, especially in North America. Compare the prize awards of major Tennis tournaments vs major Badminton tournaments.

Beyond that, environment has alot of impact on the quality of players we produce. That's exactly why the Milroy brothers ran off to Denmark (Wil was there for a year) to improve their level of badminton.

Green Day

13. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    badminton canada is broke because of little to no fundings.
    One hockey rink can buys alot of open gymnasims.
    -------------------
    Kent Spencer, The Province
    Published: Thursday, June 01, 2006
    The University of B.C. hockey arena being built for the 2010 Winter Olympics is $7 million over budget.

UBC vice-president Brian Sullivan said yesterday costs have risen from $41 million to $48 million

14. egg_tart

egg_tart Regular Member

jean koh and bryan yee

15. wonger47

wonger47 Regular Member

Student
    Auggie Ang. Coach Ang has helped me develope my game over the years...best coach I have ever had in my life...I suggest you up and coming jr.s attend his training classes. Smashingbird and I are students of his.

16. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    How do you know them? Were you on the Langara team before?

17. junkz

junkz Regular Member

somehow i feel like egg_tart is bryan yee... :p
    best coach in canada... hmm... wish i had one

18. Black_Knight

Black_Knight Regular Member

Blackknight006, or Andrew.

When did you train with Ardy?​

19. papajon

papajon Regular Member

Definitely Calvin at least as far as BC coaches go, i dont know why everyone hates on him( if theres something about him im missing, feel free to explain it to me), he has more coaching achievements then all of the bc coaches, he produced something like 50 national titles? what other coach can say that? again i know nothing of coaches from other provinces but i hate how some vrc kids who moved to clearone/two, started to hate on Calvin when in most cases he taught them how to play, no hate to c1 or c2 though, good coaches, good facilities, but yeah best coach = Calvin.

20. xXHilikusXx

xXHilikusXx Regular Member

gooo billy ^%^ hehe

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.