Li Mao returns and Lee Hyun-il leaves

Discussion in '2007 Tournaments' started by cxytdn, Feb 1, 2007.

1. cxytdn

cxytdn Regular Member

Major changes are in store for the Korean National Team as Li Mao returns and top men’s singles player Lee Hyun-il leaves.

Korea’s Yonhap News Agency reported on the weekend that Li Mao has been contracted to coach the Korean singles players. Li, who spent five years coaching here in Korea before leaving for Malaysia after the Athens Olympics, will reportedly be paid US$5000 monthly under a contract that will run up to and including the 2008 Beijing Olympics.

One player who will not be working under the tutelage of Li is national champion and world #11 Lee Hyun-il, who recently moved out of the national training centre. According to Yonhap, national team head coach Kim Joong-soo asked Lee to choose between continuing to train hard until Beijing and quitting now. Lee chose to quit the national team, and will be continuing to train only with his Kimcheon City professional team. According to Yonhap, the only reason Lee has given to coach Kim or to them is that he is finding the training too taxing.

2. X Ball

X Ball Regular Member

Malaysia should get LYB as the coach !:)

3. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    hahahaha, lcw would quit on the spot. Remembered lyb threaten to break lcw's legs?:D

4. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    There does not seem to be a single prominent MS player if Lee HI is not around. Park SH is ok enough. I guess Li Mao could whip him into one of the top players, but except for some upsets here and there, he has not shown considerable progress over the years. Shon SM is rather old, don't know how long more he can endure. The only other MS player I can name off the top of my head is Lee Cheol Ho.

5. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    Badminton: No Li Mao, no problem for Chong Wei
    02 Feb 2007
    K.M. Boopathy

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    LEE Chong Wei’s quest for glory in the World Championships and 2008 Beijing Olympics will not be affected by the absence of Chinese coach Li Mao who has decided not to renew his contract with the BA of Malaysia (BAM).

Li Mao made the decision during the Korea Open badminton championships last week and Chong Wei has already accepted life without his mentor who helped him to become the World No 1 last year.

There were speculations that Chong Wei’s dip in form was behind Li Mao’s refusal to extend his contract and return to South Korea for a second stint as the singles coach.

Li Mao, after falling out with the BA of China (BAC), was hired by South Korea in 2000 before joining the BAM in 2005.

However, Chong Wei denied that his relationship with Li Mao had soured after his quarter-final defeats to Chinese players Bao Chunlai and Chen Jin in the Malaysia and Korea Opens respectively.

"I’ve improved a lot under Li Mao but I have to accept the fact that life has to go on without him now," said Chong Wei at the National Sports Institute (NSI) Gymnasium 2 yesterday.

"I never had any problems with Li Mao during his tenure and the rumour is unfounded.

"I don’t think my career will be affected by Li Mao’s absence and I will continue working with Wong Tat Meng.

"In fact, I’m prepared to work under any coach as long as we are notified fast because it will take some time to adapt."

Under Li Mao, Chong Wei won the Malaysia Opens in 2005 and 2006 as well as reaching the World No 1 position in June last year. He also reached the semi-finals of the 2005 World Championships in Anaheim, California.

Chong Wei’s slump started in the World championships where he was expected to reach the final but was shocked by Chunlai in the semi-finals.

In the Doha Asian Games, Chong Wei fell to Lee Hyun Il in the team semi-final against South Korea and was beaten by eventual champion Taufik Hidayat of Indonesia in the men’s singles semi-final.

Li Mao is currently on a three-week vacation in China and is expected back in Kuala Lumpur on Feb 20.

6. X Ball

X Ball Regular Member

I can't help feeling the reason why Li Mao moved on was because he felt he might be ousted by the BAM since they did not renew his contract immediately.

Going to Korea would not be the best move as you rightfully said there are no good players in Korea, and he could look bad after a while.

That is how the cookies crumble !:)

#6 X Ball, Feb 1, 2007
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2007
  7. gsloh

gsloh Regular Member

Amen to that! Sure is a pity though......he did help the M'sian single players develop a lot IMO.

8. Alaric

Alaric Regular Member

IT Consultant
    It's a shame that LHI has quit the national team.
    He is a great player and really playing well at the moment. :(

9. blessing

blessing Regular Member

But dis is totally diff from dis article..

the star-friday 2nd feb
    Chong Wei’s left in the lurch as coach Li Mao packs his bags
    By RAJES PAUL

PETALING JAYA: Chinese coach Li Mao has left Malaysia to rejoin South Korea and it has thrown a spanner in the works of Lee Chong Wei's preparation for the World Badminton Championships.
    And the 25-year-old national number one, who has set his sights on winning the championships, which will be held at the Putra Stadium in Bukit Jalil from Aug 13-19, hopes that Li Mao would explain his reasons for leaving abruptly when he returns to Malaysia after the Chinese New Year holidays on Feb 20.
    Li Mao, who left for China after his last assignment with the national team at the Korean Open last week, has yet to officially inform the Badminton Association of Malaysia (BAM) of his decision to leave the national team.
    National chief coach Yap Kim Hock confirmed yesterday that Li Mao signed a contract with the Korean BA during the Korean Open and he was expected to begin work in Seoul in March.
    Prior to joining the BAM in 2005, Li Mao had taken the Korean men's singles players to greater heights.
    His two-year contract in Malaysia expired on Dec 31. But instead of renewing it until the 2008 Beijing Olympic Games, the National Sports Council (NSC) sat on it.
    For now, Kim Hock said that women's singles coach Wong Tat Meng would take over the job of handling the men's players.
    [​IMG] Chong Wei (left) hopes Li Mao would explain why he quit the team.
    It is unlikely that the BAM would hire a foreigner immediately and the Sidek brothers – Misbun and Rashid – are seen as the better candidates to take charge of the men's singles department.
    Misbun is currently with the national team and he coaches Mohd Hafiz Hashim while Rashid is the chief coach of the Project 2010-12 squad.
    “We did not expect this. I called him two days ago (in China) and he confirmed that he has joined the Korean BA,” said Kim Hock.
    “He is a professional coach and making decisions like this is normal. We have to accept it.
    “Now, we have to decide on the coaching structure for the men's singles at the next BAM's coaching and training committee meeting. The show goes on for us. Tat Meng has learnt a lot under Li Mao and he will take care of the men's players for now.”
    Chong Wei, who reached the number one spot for the first time – albeit for a short period – under the charge of Li Mao, was disappointed.
    “No, I did not hear this news from Li Mao. He dropped hints during the Korean Open but I thought it was a joke,” said Chong Wei.
    “When he comes back from his break, hopefully, we can have dinner together. I hope he will tell all of us (the men's singles players) about his decision. Was it because of me? The BAM? Or was it the country? We want to hear why he chose to leave.”
    Chong Wei's performances have dropped since his elimination in the quarter-finals of the World Championships in Madrid last September.
    Now ranked at world number five, he hopes that his preparation for the upcoming world meet will not be affected.
    “It takes a while for me to get used to the styles of a new coach. In fact, it took me half a year to get used to Li Mao's coaching methods. There are only six months to go to the world meet,” said Chong Wei.
    “I have to make the best out of the situation. My immediate task is to concentrate on the All-England (in Birmingham from March 6-11).” Under the charge of Li Mao, except for the achievements of Chong Wei and Wong Choong Hann, there was nothing to shout about from the others.

10. phaarix

phaarix Regular Member

LHI quit? As in retired? Or just quit the national team but still intends to play? Either way, that is sad news. I really wasn't expecting that :(.

11. K Genetics

K Genetics Regular Member

Bad news for Malaysia single team. Hopefully they can find someone to replace LM.

12. freelast

freelast Regular Member

Who knows how much Li Mao got paid as singles coach in Malaysia? What's the yearly salary? or monthly paid?

Thanks

13. sopho

sopho Regular Member

NSC, BAM, MSN, confusing. but one thing is there r government body, and too many poitician involved into it.

14. PlayaFromMalaya

PlayaFromMalaya Regular Member

Student
    hire xia xuanze to coach the malaysian team! :D:D

15. cxytdn

cxytdn Regular Member

一壶茶,一根烟,一席话——忙碌了一年的归乡人李矛回来了。当马来西亚羽协周四突然公布中国籍男单教练李矛辞职时,李矛正眯缝着眼在杭州享受着家乡温暖的冬日。

因为十年前与中国羽毛球国家队总教练李永波的一段恩怨,前中国羽毛球男单主教练李矛不得不离开妻儿,在异国他乡继续着自己的羽毛球念想。

李矛最先是在韩国队执教,雅典奥运会后,他转投马来西亚,并将队员李宗伟带到世界第一的位置。但在去年岁末跟马来西亚合同期满后,李矛又跟老东家韩国队续约了。有专业媒体分析,李矛的选择将改变现在国际羽毛球界格局。听到这些说法,李矛只是无奈地笑笑:“我最想执教中国队,但不行啊!去韩国也好,去马来西亚也好,都是些没有办法的办法。”

趁着旧合同早就结束,新合同还没开始,忙碌了一年的李矛有了一段难得的空闲期。“每天就是家里喝喝茶,陪陪老婆和儿子。”坐在自家小院,29日归国的李矛闭上眼睛,一口喝光了老婆沏的茶。

【关键语】手头没有小将/四季有蚊子/上网不便

为什么离开马来西亚?

厌倦了在韩国需要翻译帮忙指导队员的日子,两年前,李矛从韩国到了马来西亚。那现在又是什么原因让李矛离开?李矛点上一支烟,深深地吸了一口。“如果马来西亚队肯给我几个20岁左右的队员带,我肯定不会走。”

2年前,马来西亚羽协给李矛分配了李宗伟等五六个28岁左右的弟子。现在,这批队员年纪已经不小。李矛希望能够招入二队中的年轻小将进行培养。“但小队员的教练就是不放人。他们羽协也没有办法协调。”眼睁睁地看着马来西亚面临青黄不接的局面却无力改变,李矛的心里很不舒服。

生活环境的不适应也是李矛选择离开的一个因素。李矛说:“在韩国除了语言不通,其他什么都好。在马来西亚,除了队员都是讲中文,其他什么都不方便。”去了马来西亚以后,李矛才知道,那里一年四季都有蚊子。这可让李矛这个杭州人大大地吃不消。

李矛心中另外一个结是,他在马来西亚的住处网络速度非常之慢。而在教授羽毛球之余,李矛最大的休闲就是上网。“我要通过网络跟家人视频,我还要上‘联众’打桥牌呢。”李矛的双手不由自主地做出打字的动作。

【关键语】选好了小苗子/可以自学韩语

为什么再度选择韩国?

这次加盟韩国也是李矛第二次走上韩国羽毛球队主教练的位子。2000年,李矛从韩国开始他的海外执教之路。第一次在韩国执教那四年,他将孙升模带到奥运亚军。

正是看到李矛过人的执教才华,上个月带着马来西亚队参加韩国公开赛时,韩国羽协的官员又找到了李矛。考虑到去年12月底跟马来西亚约满后,马来西亚方面一直没有提出续约,已经是自由身的李矛三思后,就和韩国签下一年半的合同。“现在的合同就是带领韩国队参加北京奥运会。”

两年前,因为跟韩国队员语言不通选择离开。现在重新回来,语言关又怎么办?“两年前我留在那里的陪练,现在韩语已经很溜,可以做我的翻译。”考虑到韩国队二次邀请的诚意,李矛还笑呵呵地表示,这次去,他也愿意学一点韩语。“至少,羽毛球技术方面的我要能说。”

虽然要等到3月才去韩国赴任,但李矛对未来的训练计划已心中有谱。他说最近两年孙升模在走下坡,“这个时候我回去,跟他讲心理调整的话,他肯定比以前更听得进去。”此外,李矛已经挑好三四个20岁左右的小苗子。“这些小队员,只要稍加调教就能上来。”

如果带领韩国抢了中国人的金牌?

【关键语】我不教球也不会饿死/我要有职业道德

从韩国到马来西亚再到韩国,李矛侃侃而谈:“这些都是没有办法的办法,我也要吃饭啊。”

“我在教外国人打球,不是说我不爱国了。事实上,我李矛最爱国!是我在国内不好当教练啊。我不教球也可以,我有退休工资,我也不会饿死。我这个人生活简单,有口饭吃,平时能上网就可以了。但是,我擅长教羽毛球,我如果不教,那这门手艺活不就荒废了吗?”

不过,重新执教比马来西亚实力强大的韩国羽毛球队后,李矛就无法回避这样一个难题了——在2008年,他将带着外国弟子冲击中国队志在必得的羽毛球金牌。如果他通过这个方式证明了自己的价值,迎接他的可能不是荣誉,而是国人的责骂。李矛有没有想过这一点呢?

“谁不想为国争光,关键是我没这个机会了。我就是在执教国家队无望之后,才去外国流浪的。但既然我跟韩国队签约,我就要有职业道德。如果真有那一天,我也没办法。”说这话的时候,李矛依旧语气激昂,但又不难听出几分无奈。因为李矛也明白,“只要有那个人(李永波)在,我就无法重掌国家队教鞭。这些年,总局也没有协调过。”

李矛的爱人专程带着茶具到小院子来,并一遍遍地倒水。说到不能照顾妻儿,李矛颇感歉意:“在读高二的儿子不想出国,老婆也要照顾儿子,他们都不想出国。不过也好,我不在家就不会和儿子抢电脑了。”

Attached Files:

16. Ethan

Ethan Regular Member

hehe.... quite funny the last sentence. Wish Li Mao the best of luck except against MAS players :p

17. Wildstone

Wildstone Regular Member

This sentence is not really accurate, in fact it is misleading, I'm sure others would agree with me.

18. hydrocyanic

hydrocyanic Regular Member

wasting my time
    actually on Li Mao's story, he said that its BAM who had never contacted him about the renew of contract, source from bbesports if you know chinese

19. Baderz_Jas

Baderz_Jas Regular Member

Student, business man wannabe =P
    wow...:eek: I'm suprised that LHI left :eek: So will he play in OG08 :confused: That's a waste if he just quit and not play anymore ;) :(

20. xijiayu

xijiayu Regular Member

A rumour from a local forum, saying that LCW will leave BAM and join KL racket club, contributing to the reasons of LM's departure.