Racket recommendation

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by wantedman, Feb 12, 2007.

1. wantedman

wantedman Regular Member

sorry if someone already posted about this, i did a search and couldnt find anything.

im searching for a new racket, but i dont know which one to get. ive been playing for about 6 months, and luckily i get to practice about 5 days a week, so i have matured in the game quite a bit in a short time. most of the time i play with one of the rackets my gym loans out, but sometimes i get to play with a friends MP 99, and i really like it. i prefer singles, and my style of play is mostly offensive.

since im new to the game, i really have no idea what type of racket would be best suited for me. will someone please give me some suggestions on rackets i should look into purchasing? im open to any brand, but i have a price limit of $140US (for the racket alone).

thanks all! =)
    Jordan

2. martin8768

martin8768 New Member

sudent
    well since no one has answered ur question i feel bad for you, i will devote 5 minutes of my no so busy night to answers, but first i need to know your skill level, like can u clear from one end of the court completely to the other side? can you do a backhand from end to end? ok ill wait for ur replie

3. __Lam

__Lam Regular Member

Any SOTX racquet ;) they won me over from Yonex

4. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Since you really like MP99, see if you can come with a deal for a MP99 for US$140-150 range. Otherwise, Cab30ms (if you are fine with oval shape) is also known as a close alternate for MP99, and priced around US$100-120 range within US. ;)

5. wantedman

wantedman Regular Member

thanks all.

to martin: i can clear end to end well, but my backhand is a little weaker, i can only get it about halfway on the other side of the court.

6. Dummey

Dummey Regular Member

Student
    Agreed here, so far it seems that d600 is your go to racket for all around preformance or a woven-8 for near that preformance for a lower price. For offense, I love my woven-11 right now especially in singles. Woven-7 is another option for offensive minded players.

7. killersmash

killersmash Regular Member

try at 700 if u are quite strong.. it is an offensive racket suits you :) if not try an even more offensive racket.. ti 10 ^^

8. wantedman

wantedman Regular Member

why is there such a big price difference between yonex and other brands? are they a lot better, or is most of it just the name?

9. Dummey

Dummey Regular Member

Student
    Yonex is basically on the bleeding edge of technology and is one of the most widely known badminton racket brands which accounts for it's higher prices. That being said, bleeding edge technology doesn't always make a better racket especially when it increases the cost of the racket which is where these other brands come in.

10. martin8768

martin8768 New Member

sudent
    sounds good, you say u like the mp99, so probably a yonex-type felling racket, maybe SOTX because of price, i suggest trying out other peoples rackets if they let you, find one that you like the balance, because string and tension can change power/control, i think balance is crucial in racket selection, so from head light to head heavy and well-balanced, depends on ur prefrence and neither is better then the other

11. wantedman

wantedman Regular Member

thanks for the help =)

12. wantedman

wantedman Regular Member

does anyone know if there is any difference between the rackets for sale on puppysports.com and the ones on badmintonshoponline.us? I heard about puppysports today from another thread and checked them out, and all of their Yonex rackets are about $20 cheaper. Just wondering why they are cheaper on that site if they are the same racket. o_O

13. Dummey

Dummey Regular Member

Student
    puppysport has a larger intake of products and sells at a higher pace which allows them to sell things at a lower price. It is also important to point out where the yy rackets are made since I believe TH versions are cheaper?

14. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    You mean, the distribution (which region intended to sell) code. All the higher end Yonex suppose to be made in JP only. ;)