Chinese monopoly.................

Discussion in 'German Open / All England / Swiss Open 2007' started by F-Man, Mar 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. F-Man

F-Man Regular Member

Student
    Fortunately I was at the AE all week from start to finish. However, it was pretty boring as a whole. In particular, the semifinals and finals were rather poor other than the ones involving non chinese players.

Watching these matches, one cannot help but think that the chinese played to some kind of a script. For example, it seems almost comical how Chen Yu recovered from his first set against Chen Jin. The badminton was of high standard but was boring for the audience.

Without the intention of making any accusations, I am sure many people are suspect that the chinese coaching staff especially LYB tend to mess around with the results. Lets just say that I have both seen and heard some things that confirmed my suspicions.

For those who have seen the MS final, wasn't it a complete farce? Chen Yu didn't even seem to try unless he was injured of course. I watched the two of them warming up in the practice hall and Chen Yu had a look of dejection and sadness on his face. There was clearly something upsetting him for those who saw it too.

Don't get me wrong though. It was a tremendous privilidge to watch these players. However, it just seemed that some matches turned out to be an exhibition rather than a competition. Now that all 4 semifinalists are so highly ranked, it won't be unlikely for the same thing to happen again.

Anybody have similar thoughts?

2. three-3am

three-3am Regular Member

yeah, i was there in the stadium as well through quarters, semis and final... i agree totally with you, it was jus boring.. i was really disappointed with the men singles final, what was chen yu playing? he was like hitting shuttles to the net or way out of the court.. a completely different player to the one who won against chen jin the previous day.. :( in the end, i just got so fed up with the match, tat i fell asleep..

man, he could have played 10 times or even 100 times better than what he did in the final.. way disappointed!! but what to do? the chinese team can afford to do tis.. maybe the other players like chongwei, peter gade, taufik should buck up and give these chinese a real fight..

3. ck1981

ck1981 Regular Member

Ya I think so. Chen Yu surrendered to Lin Dan without a proper fight in the MS final. They had ruined the badminton game and had cheated the audience ticket money. Next time it's better to have only one China player in the final.

4. F-Man

F-Man Regular Member

Student
    The word "cheating" is perhaps a bit harsh. What I tried to stress was that during the warm-up, Chen Yu was clearly not happy about something. Could this be related to what happened last week?

Also like I said, during these championships, I have both seen and heard some dodgy things. I do not wish to disclose the details for fear of making any false accusations but lets just say that it confirmed my suspicions.

5. Inky2000

Inky2000 Regular Member

I posted this question in another thread ... LD's ranking is high enough and doesn't need the extra points to strengthen his world No.1 position. CY needs the points more because he seems to have difficulty in breaking into world Top-5. So the only reason I could figure out is that the Chinese officials prefer LD, BCL and CJ (or CH) to remain in Top-3 among Chinese players. I do find my hypothesis a bit contrived ...

6. F-Man

F-Man Regular Member

Student
    For now, make any conclusions or formulate any hypotheses. Lets not kick up a big fuss over this.

Did anyone else saw what I did?

7. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    well, if you or LYB owns all the high cards, u can dictate the desired outcome.
    Personally i like to see chen yu do battle with BCL for the 3rd position in the 08 OG MS roster. Personally i prefer chen yu over bcl. Chen yu had improved alot since last 2 years. Maybe why chenYu seem sad because he want to have a decent crack at beating lindan but LYB likely say no. Why? East answer. LD is 2006, 2007 #1 player and LYB want to make sure LD is also #1 in 2008 OG. Why wear out this precious machine and risk injury when in the big scheme of thing, not necessary. Why blame LYB, i would do the same thing. Hey, Taufik does it ALL the time LOL.

disclaimer: this post is cooler's opinion.

8. Han

Han Regular Member

Engineer
    Agreed, not reason to take the risk for injury, country already won, sad but is true!

9. cooler

cooler Regular Member

if taufik did play 07 AE, this might not happen. Since the chinese owns the SF, this is expected IMO. At least LYB didn't withdrew chen yu for injury reason as he did in german open.

10. alfa2

alfa2 Regular Member

architect
    The only resolution to this is asking all other nations MS to buck up coz they are to be blamed for an all chinese semis OR......

to send only one CHI MS to every tournament.:D:D:D:D:D:D

11. ck1981

ck1981 Regular Member

Ha, I don't mean that. I just hope that other countries will improve further to give China serious challenges so that China won't monopoly the game again.

12. OneToughBirdie

OneToughBirdie Regular Member

engineer
    WC07 and OG08 may be the last tourney with reasonable competition so for those planning to attend better enjoy....unless fresh talents emerge from the rest of the world, the tourneys after these 2 will be dominated by CHN...again (no bashing, we admire CHN) all the power to CHN for producing world class butt-kicking players...and would be boring and unless held in MAS or INA or CHN which will be full-house...if held elsewhere esp. in North America, expect empty stadium...so get used to more CHN MS SF domination...restricting players from CHN to 1 or 2 would not be fair, cos fans demand to see world class participants...Li Ling Wei said it best, let the seniors or retired players to represent or train the rest of the world, the game may have a chance to grow. CHN is like a old, dying kung fu master, keep the art to himself and take it to the grave, should be like caucasion professor who unselfishly teach/share their knowledge with the free world hahaha! LO very L! :p :p :p

13. JaCk™

JaCk™ Regular Member

Ya, China really monopoly the badminton scene today.. At first, LYB hate Li Mao cos he produces LCW.. Next, LYB threatens Zhou Mi if she plays for Malaysia.. China dislikes their coach and player to go overseas.. To them, it is unpatriotic and disloyal.. The master is keeping the skills to himself.. This is good for China but bad for badminton world..

14. cooler

cooler Regular Member

i think the game of badminton had changed since the days of domination by malaysia, INA, and even US, and it will continue to evolve. So, even some old chinese secrets would become useless in modern badminton. Today, there are videos, advance training methods, better nutrients, etc, that any countries can obtain. I don't think chinese domination is due to china possessing some holy grail secrets. The problem of the losing countries are not technicals but rather economic and political. In the western world, it is mostly economic, ie no support due to poor popularity of the sport. In the east, it's political, too many in-fighting. They have the financials but the $$ are not well spent.

15. cooler

cooler Regular Member

i just finish watching the MS final. I guess it was a haste for me to wrote those earlier comments but the script writing theory is not that clear in this case. Chen yu look slow because LD is that good. One has to agree that chen yu is still not at a level to threaten LD let alone beat LD even if chen yu played 100%. Of course there is still the possibility that LYB may influenced chen yu because i have seen him played better (ie faster)

16. sherlyn

sherlyn Regular Member

ya, agreed with you all.
    Instead of feeling bored with the MS final, I was quite mad.
    CY kept hitting the shuttlecock to LD's forehand which gave good chance for LD to kill it. CY knew this was a mistake but he kept repeating it for n times (>_<") !!
    and LD tried to make the match looked interesting by having great save until his whole body lyed onto the ground twice, but I still found the match borrring!!

17. Hitman71

Hitman71 Regular Member

Well I watched the matches live on Astro, overall I think its is still exiciting finals. Then again I skip watching the ms and ws matches hehehehe (don't want to fall asleep). Anyway the MD and XD were really good. See Gao Ling did not smile like she always does, in fact her face look very serious. MD well, its the match of the day ...... very thrilling match, outstanding. The WD match was a surprise to me, didn't expect the upset but I see great determination from ZY/Wei YL to win. Worth watching ..

About the MS. well my friends here also said the same thing ..BORING. I now hope that Sony Kuncuro can join with among the few who can challange the Chinese.

18. snasirin

snasirin Regular Member

Lecturer
    What you have said is true and I can't afford not to be harsh. The Chinese team has messed it all up. It was so frustrating. Its like watching Wimbledon final when the William's 're playing against each other. It was really so full of s***. Chen Yu is a quality player and surely he could give Lin Dan a good fight ... sadly he did not! When Lin Dan was trying to celebrate himself last night, it did not look real at all.

The worst bit is that most of the Chinese players 're becoming super arrogant. If you were at the NIA, have you seen any of them went to their supporters with a smile? Because of this rubbish attitude and lack of sportsmanship, I will now support anything really except those arrogant Chinese players.

19. cooler

cooler Regular Member

please separate the chinese players from their management. I'm sure the players has no say into this, whether it's true or not.

20. angelatby

angelatby Regular Member

Architect Assistant, Piano Teacher
    Why everyone also says Chen Yu is good one?? I feel he is so-so only. Now u all couldnt have agree better not to have All Players from the same country in Semi-Final ??:cool: :cool: or just Chinese Players. Or maybe because Chen Yu knows he will be losing anyway ?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.