Good coaching or not?

Discussion in 'German Open / All England / Swiss Open 2007' started by 2cents, Mar 11, 2007.

1. yuqiu

yuqiu Regular Member

This Perfect Combination could end this June. Read article below.

Win, A Perfect Birthday Present For Rexy

From Jaiarajo Letchumanan

BIRMINGHAM, March 11 (Bernama) -- National men's doubles coach Rexy Mainaky described Koo Kien Keat/Tan Boon Heong's men's doubles victory in the All England as a perfect birthday present for him.

The Indonesian coach who took over the helm in June 2005 said that though it came two days after his birthday on March 9, it was worth the wait.

"This is the best present for me since becoming a coach. I'm certainly delighted with the performance of the duo as they had emulated my success of winning the men's doubles title as a player," Rexy told Bernama after the victory.

Rexy, whose contract with the Badminton Association of Malaysia (BAM) expires in June, had won the title twice in a row with partner Ricky Subagja back in 1995 and 1996.

"My contract with BAM expires in June and probably when I return to Malaysia there will be some discussions on the matter," he said.

The coach added that they will have little time to celebrate the victory as he and the players leave for the Swiss Open, which starts on Tuesday.

"I hope Kien Keat-Boon Heong will add the Swiss Open title as well," he added.

2. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

Agree with you. Look at it closely. Since Rexy became coach until now the other MDs have been going downhill except KKK/TBH. Rexy's fortune has been to spot TBH's promise . TBH is the key guy and The Badminton Hunk. He is fearless, businesslike and instinctively gifted. A CCM/TBH combo would have also delivered. KKK/CCM had not won big titles because KKK had to play XD as well. If KKK had played XD in AE, would MAS have won? Probably not.(If WPT had played XD, would CEH/WPT have beaten TPE WD and reach SF? Probably not.) KKK is gifted but overrated.
    But a coach is remembered for the best result he can deliver , not the overall score of the whole team. On that count Rexy is superb.However, the biggest impact Rexy can make on MAS is their minds. MAS players are chosen on talent first that's why they are a joy to watch.(Compared to CHN 's Fitness criterion,that's why their style is grinding) All that's needed is to fix the minds.What I would like to do is interview TBH and ask him, 'when under pressure, what do you tell yourself?) And other MAS players then listen and listen carefully and understand.And watch the movie "Fearless" at least 3 times! Sack the MAS sports psychologist!

3. JaCk™

JaCk™ Regular Member

Rexy is really a very good coach.. KKK/TBH keeps turning back to listen to his advice during matches.. Rexy also gives motivation to KKK/TBH.. KKK/TBH definitely has great confidence and mental strength.. Too bad, Wong Tat Meng failed to boost LCW confidence.. LCW fails to win although holding matchpoint at 20-16.. Wong Tat Meng needs to do something to get LCW back to winning.. Rexy has done a good job.. Cheers!

4. indra

indra Regular Member

I am no surprise at all when knowing that KKK/TBH came out as winner....they are at this time the most difficult MD to defeat.....

5. alfa2

alfa2 Regular Member

architect
    2cents, i agree that finding the right pair is very important.....but the ability of the coach to extract the essence from a player is not less essential than finding the right pair.

To answer your question (in bold), LWW/CTF are too fix with their own style of playing already.

LWW/CTF - It will be like asking an alcoholic (years of drinking habit) not to drink. It's very hard to kick one's bad habit.
    KKK/TBH - whereas it will be like teaching a kindergarten kid about the bad side of drinking, easily absorbed into their mind. :p

Not against drinking, just making an example. I love beers......CHEERS EVERYONE !!! :D:D:D:D:D

6. alfa2

alfa2 Regular Member

architect
    I dont think it would help also......LOL you are really funny. by the way, what's jesus's no?

7. alfa2

alfa2 Regular Member

architect
    hope that the Koreans wil not b playing in the XD or at least let the top and 2nd pairs a skip in XD. Would like to see the best of them to play with KKK/TBH.

8. alfa2

alfa2 Regular Member

architect
    :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: NVM, ill take up the job after Rexy left.....:D:D:D:D:D:D

9. ixory

ixory Regular Member

Please don, i dun wanna wait for 25 years again to win the title:D :D :D :D :D :D

10. alfa2

alfa2 Regular Member

architect
    For my part, i would like an AE MD gold to end MAS 25 yrs drought rather than getting a good overall score. eg.4 pairs in the quarters, then 2 pairs in semis and then getting a silver in the final is an good overall score, but if compared to a gold, it is nothing close.

#30 alfa2, Mar 12, 2007
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2007
  11. sherlyn

sherlyn Regular Member

LMAO....this is so funny! but I love Rexy too! hah! Such a professional coach!

Agreed -> KKK/TBH + Rexy = A Perfect Combination
    Nvr seen a coach who's so sporting! Most coaches would just sit quietly to watch the match but Rexy is different!
    He's so excited when KKK/TBH played..could find a lotsa expression from him..cheering, motivating, murmuring, patting, jumping up, jumping onto TBH and hugging KKK...:D
    I was wondering what were the things he carried inside his bag... it seemed a lotsa things inside..lol

12. alfa2

alfa2 Regular Member

architect
    I think you really love Rexy.You seemed to notice everything....but i heard that he's married already......:D:D:D:D:D:D

13. Inky2000

Inky2000 Regular Member

Wonder what is going to happen to Rexy if he coaches KKK/TBH to win the next Indonesia Open title ... some more beating an Indonesian pair in the final ...

14. sherlyn

sherlyn Regular Member

LMAO!!
    I know he's married and even saw his cute son and cute daughter before..LOL
    I love him as a professional coach k..
    I noticed the China coach too but he juz sat there quietly, being cool, a bit annoyed and stressed.
    China coach vs Rexy...so much difference...LOL

Erm.. imagine the situation is juz like Tan Kim Her coaches LJJ/HJM or LYD/JJS to win any tournament in Malaysia.
    Not much feeling for me though.. they r juz doing their job right, being responsible and professional :p

15. sherlyn

sherlyn Regular Member

plus.. I feel happy if a malaysian coach becomes a favourite in other country ;)

16. doremi

doremi Regular Member

I cannot agree with you on this. If you talk about CTF/LWW, they've always been like that, but the other players have improved by a lot. Last year we had 3 players in the All England semi-finals! 3! How many times have we had that in the past? Of course you still talent to do the ultimate deed but Rexy's effect cannot be questioned imo.

Another incident that suggested Rexy's genius to me is the Asian games. After threatening to resign, the pair went and won. How many people in past could have such an effect on the players? There's a deep connection going on there.

17. X Ball

X Ball Regular Member

18. sabathiel

sabathiel Regular Member

Lawyer
    Credit to the players and the coach. They both complement each other. Whether KKK/TBH are really good by themselves or they became really good under the guidance of Rexy one thing is indisputable in my opinion. Rexy is without a doubt a great doubles coach. I think PBSI is dying to have him as their national doubles coach. The rise of Malaysian doubles (not just KKK/TBH) on the world stage is because Rexy is a genius coach and a great doubles player himself. Where were Malaysian doubles before Rexy got the job as doubles coach?

19. sherlyn

sherlyn Regular Member

Still remember Rexy mentioned before..MF/LWF always followed the way their opponent played. If they can get rid of this, they can perform better.
    ..and also for GTC/ZL..ZL is always busy with his outside business. If ZL can concentrate more, they can do better too.

great teacher + stubborn student -> x gonna work :(
    great teacher + indiscipline student -> x gonna work :(
    great teacher + serious student -> this gonna work ;)
    therefore,
    Rexy + KKK/TBH -> Perfect combination :D

not only KKK/TBH, if you hv noticed, TBS/OSH under Rexy hv improved a lot recently..

20. X Ball

X Ball Regular Member

Rexy has molded TBH/KKK to be an explosive and exciting to watch doubles pair -- he had taught them well, both to defend or attack.

The foresight of the man to team the two together is not by luck but more so because Rexy could see them combining well to be a force to be reckoned with. If he had not done that, Malaysia would still be relying on CM/KKK as a pair, which have not done a lot before they were separated.

With this 'trial' pair being so successful, I would think all the other pairs may have to relook at changing partners --- put it this way, just because the other pairs won a few Malaysian tournaments before they got noticed and then selected into the national team does not mean they have to stay together forever. I am for Rexy to use his judgement to break and put together pairs again, if it means that they can turn out to be champions like TBH/KKK. If not, I am still happy to see more teams getting better under this great coach -- he is aggresive, personable, can motivate his players, and most of all, he can coach techniques !