Towel Grip Experience

Discussion in 'Grip' started by Matt Ross, Aug 26, 2002.

1. UkPlayer

UkPlayer Regular Member

Academic

that's why I don't like them ;)

2. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    UKP, i tend to agree with you. i have used the synthetic type of grip all my badminton life. i like the feel of synthetic much more.

i tried towel grip in the early days, but never liked them. however, with increasing playing intensity, i noticed that no matter how good the synthetic grip is, they bound to get sweaty and slippery.

perhaps there is a good reason why the pros use towel grips as they must sweat much more than we do.

3. Matt Ross

Matt Ross Regular Member

Student
    Hi,

With the normal grips (eg PU grips) i tend, if my hands are sweaty, that i go for a backhand kill, or a backhand drive, and then my phumb slips, racket goes to the floor and the shuttle goes miles out...Thats why i'm concidering the change because i can get 24 for £12

Matt

4. Totoro

Totoro Regular Member

Programmer
    I think when the pump is wet, the PU grip doesn't function well... but now got sticky type but still it doesn't last for too long...

5. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    Matt, that's exactly the reason i am interested as well. nowadays, i need to bring a few rackets and rotate them depending on how sweaty they get. with the recent breakage of the Iso900SS, that means i don't have an identical back-up anymore.

6. UkPlayer

UkPlayer Regular Member

Academic
    hmm. not all pro's. I think some use synthetic. It would be interesting to find out who uses what.

7. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    let me ask Jonas.. :)

8. Matt Ross

Matt Ross Regular Member

Student
    lol

I'm guessing kwun, me and UKP are on at the same time yes? Coz the post number of this thread has rose bloody quick!

Matt

9. Matt Ross

Matt Ross Regular Member

Student
    Hi,

I'll tell ya what. I'll ask yehlex for a couple of their towel grips, and see how i get on with them, no harm in trying a new grip...

Matt

10. Baddie

Baddie Regular Member

how to make your own??

Hi guys,

I went to the thread where Yogi gave the instructins on how to make your own towel grip. I really did not quite get it :confused: Can Yogi explain it in a more detailed way? Or anyone of you have tried making your own? Do you use glue? or double sided tape? If glue, what type? If we glue it own, how can be take it out after a couple of use and wash them? or you maybe don't wash them anymore and just throw them away ....

Thanks a lot!!!!

11. Nic

Nic Regular Member

BCBF Member
    Re: how to make your own??

Baddie, which part you dont get it?
    As for the glue part, it is up to you, you dont really need to follow every step that Yogi did. You can use whatever method that you feel comfortable with. I bet Yogi just throw it away after it worn out.
    IMO, I think using glue will be more economical, but i would go for double side tape.

12. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    update

further update.

After telling him to try home make towel grip as it is cheaper and better than commercial ones, he went on to make two. I took a photo of one as he was playing with the other racquet. He plays 3 times a week, 3 hrs each. He washes them in a washing machine every week. The pic shown is about 1 month old grip (not bad huh). The other one he was using is 2 months old and look almost identical to the one shown in this pic. We couldn't believed how well it last as now he got more spare towels than he needed to make towel grips.

13. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
  14. UkPlayer

UkPlayer Regular Member

Academic
    Interesting that Jonas said towel is better for soaking up sweat in far east countries. If you are playing in a UK climate you sweat less.

15. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Even with the UK being cooler, I still needed to change the grip every couple of weeks. I just didn;t bother with the towel grip in HK. I'd need to change grips after 1 week.

The grip itself is nice, it's the frequency of replacement that bugs me.

16. UkPlayer

UkPlayer Regular Member

Academic
    The point I'm trying to make about the climate is that UK climate's may favour synthetic grips more than towel grips. I never get a problem with the racket grip slipping. Even during this hot summer with 2-3 hour sessions there wasn't a problem.

17. Californian

Californian Regular Member

I have to use a towel grip, especially in summer because it gets so hot and I sweat so much. Nothing else works for me. If I couldn't buy them, I'd have to make my own.

18. Matt Ross

Matt Ross Regular Member

Student
    UKP,

I wouldnt be so sure, my hands do get sweaty alot. This time of year especially because the halls become incredibly humid and people sweat even more. In fast and hard games, especially in the mixed division one that i play in, i really do tend to sweat alot. So maybe i will go to towel grips and just to see what they're like. And i may even grip over the cap and kill 2 birds with one stone :)

Matt

19. Gladius

Gladius Regular Member

Design Engineer
    Well, I have been to Canada, the States, Uk as well as Australia, trust me, its a walking open air sauna when you compare the level of heat and humidity here in South-East Asia as opposed to the temperate regions !

I had plenty of problems during my school days using PU grips didn't realise it, thought it was just me being tired after about 1 hour ....

Well, switching to towel and a wrist band certainly did wonders in eradicating 'slippage' during play and having the need for a duplicate racket to cover ...

Which is why I stick with towel grips ..

20. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    UK has been experiencing hot summers but although comparatively humid for that region, there is no way you can compare with playing in the humidity of M'sia, S'pore, HK(in the summer).

During Dec one year, I went to M'sia from HK(cooler) and played badminton. Sheesh, I nearly collapsed.

However, playing without airconditioning in HK in the summer (30degrees cent, 80-90%humidity in the evening) conditions the body wonderfully. During a short trip to M'sia, those M'sians were collapsing around me!

BTW, I use the 'change racquets' technique. I suspect Kwun noticed this at one of our sessions and then reported in BC.