Good coaching or not?

Discussion in 'German Open / All England / Swiss Open 2007' started by 2cents, Mar 11, 2007.

1. JaCk™

JaCk™ Regular Member

ya, TBS/OSH very supportive too.. confident and energetic.. still young..

2. Tommy Susanto

Tommy Susanto Regular Member

Boo....boo

This forum is getting nowhere....yucks terrible posts:D The chinese must be laughing their axxx off man:p

3. ixory

ixory Regular Member

Rexy Dreams Of Olympics Success

From Jaiarajo Letchumanan [​IMG]

BIRMINGHAM, March 13 (Bernama) -- The year 2005 marked a very significant beginning to Malaysian badminton, especially for the men's doubles, with the arrival of Indonesian coach Rexy Mainaky.

The former Indonesian doubles ace who together with partner Ricky Subagja won every title that was available during their time -- world championship, All- England and Thomas Cup -- to name a few, was appointed national doubles coach.

Two years on, he had plotted the success of two youngsters who become the most exciting doubles pair in world badminton.

Koo Kien Keat and Tan Boon Heong who clinched the All-England men's doubles title two days ago after beating world number one seeds Cai Yun/Fu Haifeng of China, were quick to pay tribute to their coach for his tireless efforts, contributions and guidance.

"He has been a key factor in our success. We've learnt many new tactics and skills from him and so are the new players who have come through the ranks. He also guides us during games, shouting quick instructions when we make mistakes or when there is a change in tactics by our opponents.

"For example, during the final, the Chinese pair switched tactics during the second game and Rexy was quick to observe and gave us instructions to vary the game," said Kien Keat.

Under his guidance, the duo shot to fame within a span of five months, winning the Asian Games men's doubles gold after 36 years and now the All- England men's doubles gold after 25 years.

"Our goal now is to win the World Championships that will be hosted by Malaysia later this year and the ultimate aim is to win the gold at the 2008 Beijing Olympics," said Kien Keat.

Rexy, who feels very much at home and who has become more than just a coach to the players, said the best thing about the players was that there are many young players coming through the ranks and they are willing to learn.

Besides the Kien Keat-Boon Heong pair, there are three other young pairs along with the Choong Tan Fook-Lee Wan Wah veteran pair.

Among the young pairs under Rexy's charge are Mohd Fairuzizuan Mohd Tazari/ Lin Woon Fui, Mohd Zakry Abdul Latif/Gan Teik Chai and Ong Soon Hock/Tan Bin Shen.

"Preparing the players entails a number of aspects like tactics, skills, endurance, sports science and of course mental. As a coach, I take charge of the first three and we have sports science experts and mental trainers from the National Sports Council.

"In a match, mental strength is very important as when the players are on court, 40 per cent is skill and 60 per cent mental. If a good player doesn't have the mental strength to absorb the pressure from his opponent, he or she will most likely lose the match.

"When preparing players mentally, players need to be assessed individually and according to their characters because different players have different characteristics.

"Some may be soft while others can be tough. Some can take pressure while others tend to buckle," Rexy told Bernama in an exclusive interview here.

He also said grooming players to become champions cannot happen overnight.

"Time will be an essence and patience is a key factor. My dream is to see players whom I coach emulate my success or go a step further than what I've achieved as a player," he added.

>>so who said coach is not important:rolleyes:

4. Dimduo_81

Dimduo_81 Regular Member

I guess when it comes to coaching, apart from able to produce outstanding results, one have to look at the practical aspect of it. If the contracts are not renewed or quality is not commensurated monetarily, any coach should leave. Its just a way to survive, being practical. Like, you can't expect Li Mao who was already unhappy of the lagging contract incident stay on when he has other offers. He SHOULD leave, and since he is a foreigner, it was nice of him to leave quietly to avoid embarrasment to BAM by voicing his grievances. I'm sure he has lots to say.

I certainly hope BAM will extend Rexy's contract on time, as he is one of the outstanding coaches who has shown to produce results.

A lot of Indonesians like staying in Malaysia, its like a much better quality of live, best of all we speak and understand their languange.

Can you imagine Li Yong Bo coaching the Malaysian team?????!!!

5. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    wow, a hot topic.
    Not reading all the posts yet to make my comments, i think success in life and any relationship involve some luck and some good decison making.
    Saying good coaching by rexy alone is wrong since kkk and tbh went thru many coaches before reaching national level. Those earlier coaches should get credits too since all the basic to advance badminton were learnt from them. If i put a noob under rexy, chances are the noob will achieve B+ level at best, on average statistically speaking. U have to be super good before u even get coached by rexy. That said, kkk + tbh was a chance meet which i tend to agree but so is meeting rexy. England coulda extend rexy contract and rexy would never be under BAM possession when kkk meet tbh. As in life, u persue opportunities and one bound to pan out. Is this luck or good planning, both i say.

kkk+tbn = experimental luck
    kkk&tbn + rexy= timing luck.
    li mao leaving = bad luck LOL
    KOR gets li mao = good luck
    lee HI leave team = bad luck
    TH wins 06 AG = good luck (hehe)
    LD lost 06 AG = bad luck
    TH bet AE title and lost fight with pbsi = bad luck LOL
    LD won 07 AE = good luck (ie. no TH)

is there a chinese proverb that says 'as one chance slip away, another new one would drop by';)

#65 cooler, Mar 13, 2007
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2007
  6. ronnie14

ronnie14 Regular Member

YEAY !!!!!! rexy stays !

7. yuqiu

yuqiu Regular Member

#67 yuqiu, Mar 13, 2007
  8. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

IMO, it takes both...and all the good reasons then...

..(just quipping these portions from the article) and this shows, esp. how important Rexy is/was to their success..The thing i want to see now is, how will the 2 young talents find their success when Rexy is not there, physically, by their sides during their match(es)..:confused: ;)
    OFF TOPIC:..to come and visit Malaysia this coming August for the World Championships..hehe;):D:cool:..Btw, have you signed up for the BC get-together in this thread: http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40431&page=4 ??..:cool:

#68 ctjcad, Mar 13, 2007
  9. ye333

ye333 Regular Member

I don't think that's crucial -- try to let KKK/TBH play without Rexy being there. Although they rely on Rexy a lot currently, the relation seems healthy. Rexy is not suffocating them by endless instructions, and Koo/Tan are not treating themselves as morons and just waiting for Rexy's words.

There is a danger lying in leaving them on their own pre-maturely, they may lose terribly and lose confidence of themselves. So Rexy must be very careful and choose the right timing and the right tournament to "test" and more importantly, develop their independence.

The issue (how much and what kind of help should a mentor give his student) is very subtle (the goal is to bring the student to his limit), and seems to me Rexy is doing very well so far.

10. yuqiu

yuqiu Regular Member

#70 yuqiu, Mar 14, 2007
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2007
  11. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Understandable...

..and yes, it's quite true that both of them are still relatively young & developing very well..Thus the careful and close guidance of Rexy is what's needed..
    But i still would like to see how both of them handle situations in which Rexy is not there, by their sides..;) :cool:

#71 ctjcad, Mar 14, 2007
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2007
  12. Iwan

Iwan Regular Member

If I were Rexy, I would probably very slowly cut down on the amount of advices I am giving them or perhaps holding it off until crucial points to allow the players to think for themselves. But ofcourse before doing so, I would inform the players of what I will be doing and the purpose of doing so :) Finally, would be when they can win consistently without much advice, then I would push them to totally think for themselves.

13. Dimduo_81

Dimduo_81 Regular Member

May I have the link pls? thanks a lot..I'd love to see that. I've met Rexy before with his wife and daughter..He was really humble..

14. Dimduo_81

Dimduo_81 Regular Member

Anyway , what do you ppl think of Ong Soon Hock n his partner? I think they are rising stars..not yet but going to be if they stop playing fancy shots n overconfidence go over their head!

15. hollywood_t

hollywood_t Regular Member

This isn't entirely accurate as to have a successful program it's more than talented players. Champions don't just spontaneously come into being. Even w/ the right talents you have to support the mental development and training of the players. This is an area of strength of Rexy. As someone else made the point w/ all the talented players in the Malaysian system why no champions for 25 yrs! Also in interviews Rexy commented that the mental approach was lacking. This is not something technique and talented shot making will develop or improve. It's about developing a mental approach in the players to push themselves beyond their limits and not accept defeat in training or competition. That is one of the true values of competent coaching. There are many parallels in other sports, Johan Cruyff as coach of Barcelona soccer/footbal club, NBA Detroit Piston, etc ....

Selection wise it is more complex than you articulated and again if it was so easy why wasn't it done before. I see that 1) either the coach doesn't have the ability to see the potential or 2) he doesn't have the guts or influence to challenge the political system. In both areas Rexy has suprassed all the other coaches in the last 25 yrs in Malaysia. From his interview he was trained under philosophy that the doubles squad will play w/ different partners w/ money on the line to add that competive edge. This would also allow the coach to test out pairs in a real competitive environment. I think his other advantage is that he is mentally strong and can handle the pressure that comes w/ taking risks. More importantly I believe he is willing to walk away if the players don't meet their end of the bargain. This promotes accoutability and leads to results.

I would like to see where Rexy takes the Malaysian doubles and yes we should temper our expectations as this is just the first real success. The real challenge begins now to make winning a habit and dealing w/ all the distractions. This is the real test of the coach's skills and the mentality of the players.

Derek