Weight training and first day back to badminton

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Phil, Sep 13, 2002.

?

Do you strength/weight/cardio train?

1. Yes, regularly

6 vote(s)
    75.0%
  2. Yes, occasionally

2 vote(s)
    25.0%
  3. No, I don't need to

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. No, I don't have the time/willpower/whatever

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Dave18

Dave18 Regular Member

Student
    Are you kidding me? When I work out the shoulders, I feel like I have so much strength. I usually do shoulder strugs with weights. They feel good too.

But now I seldom workout because of school. I hate it, I have no time to work out and play badminton. :crying:

If I have no time to workout, I just do push ups at home. 100-200 a day in total. You'll be surprised how big your triceps can get.

2. ViningWolff

ViningWolff Regular Member

Process Engineer
    Shoulder shrugs work your traps, I'm looking at the outside shoudler (delts) area which are built up by the likes of military press, clean and jerk, straight arm raises etc.

I do upright rows and shrugs all the time as part of my back workout - it doesn't seem to bother my swing to much. Chest workout is another matter.

3. Javalina

Javalina Regular Member

student
    I don't do weight training too much however, I do mix badminton with swimming. Ii do one day of badminton and one day of swimming. This way I regain strength quickly, in addition, swimming really helps me to build up my stamina. Weight training part of work out I focus on wrist strength training.

4. ViningWolff

ViningWolff Regular Member

Process Engineer
    I have a competition with another BFer (doesn't post much) - we did measurements on our arms, chest and belly.

Total inches gained on the arms and chest, plus total inches lost on the gut. Whoever has the higher number gets all you can eat sushi bought by the loser.

Check in is the day of my tourney March 3/4th. Will be doing weights six days a week along with LOTS of stretching and hitting the shuttle to stay loose.

5. stumblingfeet

stumblingfeet Regular Member

6. jas1121

jas1121 Regular Member

Accountant
    thanks alot.tat was really helpful.

7. keith_aquino

keith_aquino Regular Member

part-time student, full-time baddy fanatic
    I'd recommend weight training that improves power. Instead of doing those really slow movements, do quick extended ones. There's hardly any relationship between muscle size and power. For badminton, the only weight training exercises I do are for my wrist muscles (forgot the name :D), triceps and legs.

8. Lin Dan-Fan

Lin Dan-Fan Regular Member

I work out at the YMCA four days a week too. But i stopped since the high school season started. I cant not play my best if i continue, as my legs are sore for a few days after heavy squatting and leg presses. And my forearms locks up after deadlifts day so its hard to play, im gonna start again once season is over by the begining of summer.

9. jas1121

jas1121 Regular Member

Accountant
    Jus got a few ques? hope someone can help.
    1.whats difference between weight and resistance training?
    2. Is stuff leg extension, leg press, considered a resistance training?
    3. Does resistance or weight training effect growth of a person's high at teenage?

10. Lin Dan-Fan

Lin Dan-Fan Regular Member

Go to bodybuilding.com and check out the forum.

11. aZn_Popcorn

aZn_Popcorn Regular Member

i voted for the 1st one. I work out and play badminton but i workout 2 build strength and have toned muscles rather then bulky size and I find that it helps with my explosiveness and footwork, and jumpsmashes.

12. yamhill

yamhill Regular Member

Student
  13. robc06

robc06 Regular Member

Editor
    Thanks for the routine!!

14. psychict

psychict Regular Member

Full time Student, Part time Engineer
    good info thx !!

15. stumblingfeet

There are many much better websites out there than bodybuilding.com for sports training information. Training for sport performance has different requirements than training for large muscles. Unfortunately, many athletes follow too much of a "bodybuilder" style workout plan that isn't optimized for their performance.

http://www.t-nation.com has good info on sports nutrition, maximal strength training, how to plan your training to avoid structural imbalances that eventually lead to joint problems, general physical preparation, etc.

http://www.higher-faster-sports.com gives a very good explanation of how strength training and plyometrics training work together to develop power.

http://www.elitefts.com is mostly a powerlifting website (maximum strength development) but they do have good articles on things like periodization, strength training, etc.

http://inno-sport.net is a sports training system which goes into great detail about how to manipulate training variables and exercise types for power development.

What these sites have in common is that they contain training articles by high-end sports and conditioning coaches. That's like having the equivalent of a professional badminton coach writing training articles here. There are great resources out there on the internet, you just have to know where to find them!

16. oliviergmar

oliviergmar Regular Member

I guess we can say...
    Squats work everything.

17. stumblingfeet

Yeah, squats work everything... but it depends somewhat on the type and range with which you do them.

Squats in the top range will work the quads, but when you get nice and deep, the glutes and hamstrings will take up a big part of the work. Problem is, at the gym it seems that most people prefer to stick with the easier top range and stop before getting to the lower range, resulting in unbalanced levels of strength between the knee extensors and the hip extensors.

Meanwhile, the rest of your body is in an isometric contraction to transfer the force from your legs into the weight. There are many positions in which to hold the weight - on your back, overhead, front of the shoulders, crook of the arm, etc. each with its own respective challenges. The results from this aspect of squats is that wonderful quality called core strength.

18. a_n_d_y

a_n_d_y Regular Member

high school

Ya, i try to focus more muscles on my legs, and try to just develop and tone different muscles around my arm. Plus wrist training too. But i don't do too much cardio, which as a badminton player is prob more important than muscles.

19. PandaLord

PandaLord Regular Member

Student
    Cardio definitely helps a badminton player, as well as shed unneeded fat deposits. However, dont think that weight training won't train your heart to an extent as well! High intensity workouts generally means using weights you can have a max of 8 or so reps with and have less than 60 secs between each set. I dare you to tell me that your heart isn't beating like crazy after a wonderful session of squatting.

So to say that cardio is more important is debatable but IMO, when you have the best of both worlds, you'll be a killer athlete. Look at Lindan, i tend to believe that hes winning more of the fact that hes so damn healthy and strong. Balance is the key!

20. martin8768

martin8768 New Member

sudent
    also here is a type: dont over do it first day back, haha i do this every year and i always regret it, for the next 2 days it hurt to walk, my legs were so stiff that i also had to crawl up stairs and for the next week my body was still sore, haha but its gone now and it only happens first day back im glad its over hahaha now i can go all out and only take a day to recover :) play hard guys