New Racket(Carlton AS-Ti) What to string it with?

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by NVIDIA256, Sep 10, 2002.

1. NVIDIA256

NVIDIA256 Regular Member

So I was over at brown's sport today, and they had the AS-Ti on sale for $139.99 CAN, Regular price $169-179, Great Price I had to buy it!

So now I'm wandering what to string it with, I have been thinking of getting them strung with Yonex BG-80, yet I'm not sure what tention to string them at.

people tell me I don't need anymore than 22lbs MAX, I tell them about this forum and how people here string it up to 25-30 lbs, is that insane or what, i'm told you wont even fell the birdy?

So what's the best string conbination/tention for the Carlton AS-ti in your opinion, your thoughts on this matter would be of great interest to me.

Also for those in the metropolition Toronto area who is the best to go to, for stringing rackets????

#1 NVIDIA256, Sep 10, 2002
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2002
  2. zero

zero Regular Member

Student
    I would have to say Yo's Sports. About the combination, sorry but I can't help since I don't own an AsTi.
    Do you know if Brownssports has any other racquets on sale?

3. NVIDIA256

NVIDIA256 Regular Member

There very good to, but i prefer Brown's as I find them to have cheaper prices(not by Much) and they have been in the business of selling badminton rackets for over 20 years.

Also Lee's Badminton has a wide range of stuff (racket's, shoes etc..., )but there customer service SUCKS! I go there and the guy could less about selling me anything, shows very little interest in my questions, as if he has something else better to do.

4. TDotSmAsHer

TDotSmAsHer Regular Member

Student Gr 11 in Sept.------- badminton player/ad
    What are you talking about? Browns has terrible service and no one there knows anything about badminton. Especially that fat guy who smokes... oh did I mention the whole place stinks of cigerettes?

Brown's also do not have cheaper prices..... browns charges tax and racquets come without string. Yo's comes with any string.... take for instance... Entry high end level racquet MP-55...

Browns...

$100
    String.. (BG-65 $20 ... and BG-80 is like $30.. they don't even have 85!! and the fat guy said it doesn't exist lol... )

EVEN WITH 65!! Total is $120 + 15% tax.... which is what... almost $140!! This is with BG-65!! ...

Yo's. $130.. with any string you want!!.. They have wider variety of string then browns to and the guy at yo's is actually knows something about badminton.. and equipment.. decent service too. AS-TI with tax and no string is actually not that cheap.... I think in HK it's like $400-$500 HKD...

Lee's I never bought from there before... prices are OK but Yo's still cheaper.

Oh yea.. i string bg80 23 lbs.... I guess it depends on what u like... Preferance I guess but YES probably safer for the racquet if you don't go over 25:p Actually 25 hurts my arm when playing withplastic !!!

5. NVIDIA256

NVIDIA256 Regular Member

where is the best place to get my racket strung properly???

6. TDotSmAsHer

TDotSmAsHer Regular Member

Student Gr 11 in Sept.------- badminton player/ad
    Yo's probably the best place...also maybe the cheapest... Browns doesn't know anything about badminton!! (I can't say this enough) ...

At Yo's I think it's like $16 for BG-65... and the most expensive string is around $25 which is BG-85.... or 68... I forgot.. If you want durable 70 and 65 should be really durable.. 80 is durable for me since I don't smash too hard. (Not because I don't want to but becuase I can't.. hahaha) UNLIKE BROWNS.. . which adds tax on top of their $20 for bg-65!...

7. NVIDIA256

NVIDIA256 Regular Member

I am looking to smash big time, it's why I bought the carlton as-ti, right now i'm low-average smasher, but am getting couching over at lee's, so I expect to smash hard, which string would be best for a smasher like me? BG80, 85 or etc...

8. ayl

ayl Regular Member

Professional procrastinator
    G'day,

I recommend trying BG66 if you play with 22lbs or less, or BG80 / BG85 if you play with high tension of 23lbs or above. All these strings provide exceptional repulsion power at their intended tension.

You will find BG 80 a tad more powerful than BG 85, but BG 80 won't last long and has less feel and control than BG 85.

One thing I have noticed about BG 85 is that once the tension drops by 2-3 lbs from the original, it feels like BG65 and all the power's gone.

9. NVIDIA256

NVIDIA256 Regular Member

i went and did a search on the strings and now i'm even more confussed, why you may ask, some of you say this string x does this while others say strinf y does it better?

Ok don't care about duribilty, I want i good string with power and control, also which tension to use it at, as my Cartlton as-ti can be strung up to 30lbs max(which i would never do)

Here's what I gather, the BG85 is gives the best performance but does not last long, as the BG80's performance is not up to par with the 85, although it's more durable?

#9 NVIDIA256, Sep 11, 2002
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2002
  10. ayl

ayl Regular Member

Professional procrastinator
    G'day again,

Just a quite note for clarification :)

BG80 is more powerful than BG85 and it has a rough string surface which allows easier excution of slice and tumble shots.

BG85 is however, a better all round string. It has almost as much power, better feel and control, and it lasts longer.

I find to get the best out of these strings, 22lbs or above seems to work best. Below that tension BG66 is almost on par in performance, without paying for the extra money.

Hope this helps

11. Mag

Mag Moderator

Graphic Designer
    Your question has no answer

So string it with BG-80 at 22 lbs. That's a very good starting point.

There's no "optimal string" for racquet X. Nor is there an optimal tension. This is completely player dependant. You've got to find out YOUR optimal combo for yourself. Nobody here can tell you.

12. NVIDIA256

NVIDIA256 Regular Member

took it over to lee's today, it's getting strung with BG80 at 22 pounds

PS. And thank you all for your time and patience, as well as sharing your input and experience, I've already learned alot form you guys, Peace out!

#12 NVIDIA256, Sep 12, 2002
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2002