obesity...

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by UkPlayer, Sep 12, 2002.

1. UkPlayer

UkPlayer Regular Member

Academic
    Just watching the TV. Talking about combatting Obsesity which is spreading here. :( I guess it is at an advanced stage within US.

I feel quite sorry for these kids you know. If they had a competitive sport like badminton where they could learn how to look after themselves then this problem wouldn't exist to such a degree. It's a shame that so many are made to felt outside of sport. I know it is compulsory here, but even so, often it's exclusive to the kids who can take a bit of ruff and tumble. The rest seem to get left behind.

I'm annoyed with the Fast food, TV watching lifestyle in the West. And the pub lifestyle in the UK. How did it get to this stage? :mad:

2. GRObFURSt

GRObFURSt Regular Member

Year 10 Student
    Within Australia its a major issue. Some teenage girls weighing in around 100kg (there is still good looking girls here not all are that big). Im nearing 6'2" and I only weigh 80kg witha solid build.

I think sueing resturaunts is crazy, you put yourself in that position so you should suffer the consequences.

They can play sport if they desire but they are too fat and lazy and always have an excusxe why not to engage in physical activity.

3. UkPlayer

UkPlayer Regular Member

Academic
    I think the lawsuits that are being used against these fast food chains are quite good actually. The problem isn't so much that the food is fattening and bad for you, but more about the fact that it's packaged as if it were good for you. I can't see any difference between a burger and a cigarrete, both cause similar problems through excessive consumption... yet, one has a warning and the other doesn't. Personally it would be great if all fast food came with a 'could cause cancer' warning and all alcohol came with a 'could cause liver disease' warning.

4. Matt Ross

Matt Ross Regular Member

Student
    Hi,

Just a quick question. Isn't a woman in America sueing McDonalds because se said the food tasted sooo good, that she kept on eating their food and is to blame now for her weight?

Matt

5. UkPlayer

UkPlayer Regular Member

Academic
    lol, I haven't heard of that one, wonder if someone else on here has?

6. Nic

Nic Regular Member

BCBF Member
    I never heard of that one either. But as what I know, Law firms in America make a lot of money as American likes to sue for whatever they can think of. Some of them just doesnt have anything better to do.

Adeline, if you read this, you might wanna consider migrate to the states for fortune wise. :p

7. jwu

jwu Regular Member

Medical Research
    McD law suit

yes this is true, I heard about this maybe last month of a little while ago. I believe either Burger King or KFC is under the same kind of law suit too. As a result of this, McD's made a public announcement that they only use olive oil for their food making. Although you could use a healthier oil, but you still have to change the oil every 3 hours of deep frying, which is just cost-effective for McD's. Anyway, coomon knowledge anyway, don't eat at fastfood place often. :D

8. wira

wira Regular Member

Re: McD law suit

McD claims that its decision to use olive oil has nothing to do with
    the lawsuit, but my guess is they're trying to put one up over its
    rival fast food chains like Burger K, KFC, etc. I do agree that Americans
    are sue-happy, filing frivolous lawsuits at every opportunity,
    encouraged by greedy lawyers. More often than not, even
    extremely frivolous cases end up winning the plaintiff money, as
    most companies would rather settle than pay a lot of money
    defending against the suit. The sad thing is, the real source of the problem
    in these cases don't get fixed.

Obesity in America is becoming a real problem, almost epidemic in level,
    and the lawsuits are not really going to help. In fact it's going to
    contribute to the problem as the lawyers just get more money and
    themselves become obese too. :mad:

9. badrad

badrad Regular Member

currently unemployed
    but the sad part of this that in the land of freedom, most citizens can't even think for themselves or control themselves from over-indulgence. freedom is only good if you have someone to tell you what to do with it. "i am free to do whatever i want, and if i screw up, i'm free to blame everyone in the world for my cock-ups"

10. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    So correct Badrad,

these people want to have freedom of choice but when their choice doesn't have good outcome (and they know the risks), they go crying to a lawyer. Those guys don't have much sense of responsibility.

Why give people a choice when, in effect, they keep complaining about their own wrong decisions?

11. modious

modious Regular Member

I read the news yesterday that a guy in Japan is suing Coke for making lose a couple of his teeth! He has been drinking Coke everyday for more than 20 years I think! He tried to stop drinking but apparently he can't! :eek:

He's suing Coke on the basis that the company has not set out any health guidelines and measures and did not inform pple not to drink it everyday!

12. GRObFURSt

GRObFURSt Regular Member

Year 10 Student
    I heard of that women, its pretty obvious that McDonalds is not a healthy food, everyone in Australia would agree with me on that, so why is there needs for a warning. Its just common sence, burgers and chips are not healthy, suing them is ridiculous. Just making a fool of herself, she is probibly bathing in her cash laughing at te stupidity of gulable people in that country.

13. Reynar

Reynar Regular Member

Student
    Ah but common sense is the rarest of qualities. And you can quote me on that. As a result of people being stupid and judges being even dumber warning labels are appearing everywhere. There are labels on newspaper boxes saying that tipping the box can cause injury, on frozen food saying take off the plastic before placing in a 450 degree farenheit oven.
    People are being overloaded with information and losing the basic information they should know and going to lawyers instead of balming themselves for not thinking.

My favourite dumb lawsuit involved a woman in America who sued McDonald's because she put a cup of hot coffee in her lap, tried to drive away while simultaneously puting sugar and cream into it and stirring. She obviously was burned when it spilled and won the case and was awarded an obscene amount of money, $150 million, I think. Man, I guess I'm just not stupid enough to be rich.;) I almost wish I was.

14. Joanne

Joanne Regular Member

Getting thrashed on court.
    A man sued McD for burning his lips. A man sued KFC for causing heart disease when he ate it everyday. haha, this kind of people..............

15. jwu

jwu Regular Member

Medical Research
    warning the obvious

warning upon birth... "continue living may eventually lead to death."

16. Joanne

Joanne Regular Member

Re: warning the obvious

So who do we sure for death? Natural death I meant.:D :D :D

17. whizkelv

whizkelv Regular Member

Re: Re: warning the obvious

God??? :p

18. Joanne

Joanne Regular Member

God? Let's see.....how do we sue Him? Ok, ok, juz kidding!;)

19. adelina76

adelina76 Regular Member

Solicitor
    Obesity is a state of mind..

Believe it or not, even though you can actually see when someone is fat, i.e by the measurement of their waist, beergut hanging out etc, like almost anything do with humans, they're all a matter of the state of one's mind, as opposed to one's physical being.

Same goes with the attitude of blaming others than to question oneself over one's actions. People generally do not like taking upon themselves to be responsible because that means examining their own faults, inadequacies, and yes, in some cases, lack of common sense. Of course that then leads to self-insecurity, self-doubt and basically, another form of state of mind.

So really, if one wants to lose weight or feel better about themselves, one has to train one's mind to do it, not one's body..buying heaps of lose-weight items advertised by the daily informercials are not going to help if one's attitude doesn't change first.

Just to prove I'm not simply ranting..take me for example..growing up, I played badminton and tennis..but also ate a lot of unhealthy food. My exercise regime was not constant and I suppose that, with my rebellious attitude not to fit in with the 'skinny high school girls' of my age, I basically didn't take care of my body and couldn't care less how I looked..and so basically, my negative attitude (including my fear that if I examined why I was letting myself go..I might not like what I see) was solely responsible for my weight being around 92 kilogrammes (on average) throughout my teen years. Btw, I'm 5'8" (173cm). So basically, I was a big girl and also hiding a lot of insecurities behind those extra layers of safe fat. You see, when you're in that condition, it is easier to feel sorry for yourself and not do anything positive about it.

Then when I came to New Zealand (from Malaysia) to study. The change of weather/climate, together with slight change of diet (hard to find Char Koay Teow and the likes here lah! :() I lost a bit of weight accidentally. I also perhaps started to feel more comfortable with who I was and who I was growing up to be..(i.e maturity does wonders to one's confidence). I started going to the gym more, doing heaps of aerobics and by the end of my first year in New Zealand, I lost a whopping 10kgs!

When I went back to M'sia, my mother couldn't recognise me..hehe. By this stage, I felt more and more at ease 'beneathe my own skin' and my self confidence was rising rapidly. The next year, I lost another 12kgs and once you start to get a few wolfwhistles and guys paying attention to you..believe me, you won't want to go back to a whale-look-alike figure!
    (Err..for male readers, compare this scenario to women smiling at you and telling you how wonderful you are..)

So there you go..no Jenny Craig, no Weightwatchers..just sheer determination, change of STATE OF MIND..being positive instead of negative...so if I can do it, anyone can..so rather than waste your time and energy blaming others and pursuing phantom culprits, spend your worthwhile energy in changing your attitude and state of mind and you'll be a happier, and thus, healthier (fitter) person.

Adelina76 (I should stop being so open with you guys..now I feel so vulnerable and exposed :eek: )

20. Pecheur

Pecheur Regular Member

Aww, but we wuv you Adelina ;)

I agree though, obesity is partially a state of mind, but also for a lot of people, a genetic preposition. Some people have a naturally high metabolism and burn off fat more easily, whilst others don't. Others are more efficient at converting food into fat, this is actually a good survival trait instead of wasting it.

HARD TO FIND char Kway Teow in NZ? And you like living in that country? That'd enough of a reason never to live there ;) *makes a mental note to get some beef kway teow for dinner tonight*

PS Why do manufacturers assume if you have a small waist you have no leg muscles? :p It's just a pain in the arse, literally to buy jeans, etc when your calves are pretty close to being half the circumference of your waist :p Let's not talk about thighs and butt, grr