The Indian brand of badminton.

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by kwun, Mar 12, 2001.

1. guttayelan

guttayelan Regular Member

DEAR KWUN:
    THEY DONOT HAVE GREAT MINDS..THEY HAVE NASTY AND IDIOT MINDS..

2. guttayelan

indina brand players are tough

indian brand players are tough players.. they are not only physically fit but mentally too..they cn stand any types of tortures from their national cheif coach as well as associations's..

they all knew the best way how to torture a player and destroy their career after they retires and become national chief coach..gopi is a live exemple...
    he has prooved it in recent event...

donot you all appreciate him?

great player , dirty minds..

3. Loopy

Loopy Regular Member

What are you talking about?????
    Can you please be more clear about what you're saying? I haven't understood anything of what you said.

4. bad_fanatic

bad_fanatic Regular Member

Day dream about being a Pro Badminton Player
    Same here, I just hear that he's crook, saddist, and stuff like that.

For those of us who do not know the background of the story, can you please be more clear into why you think so.

5. chikkubhai

chikkubhai Regular Member

I have no clue what Guttayelan is talking about :D. I am from Hyderabad (same as GopiChand) left for US at a time Gopi peaked. I have seen Gopi play for couple of years, but as usual I have seen enough politics involved in India, one outcome being none of the right players reaching the top.

I think Guttay.. is one of many students who probably was not allowed or has been stripped of access to play in the courts or the academy by Gopi. Mostly pressure and politics forces students to work hard. Many kids drop after a certain age due to schooling. Most work hard only until they get certificates that provide them with entry into top schools. There is not much inspiration involved and very less sponsorship money provided resulting in lesser enthusiasm and fewer players who can afford to play and thrive in the arena. Unless you know a big shot or have lots of money, you wont be able to play even as a semi-pro player in the packed courts.

As again other than politics and postponing things, everything else is common in most highly populated countries like China I believe. Anyways , I dont have much time to edit this so bear with its context.

Ooooh I am still interested in knowing the current situation. Probably Ill call Gutta and find out :)

6. llpjlau

llpjlau Regular Member

a player's game can revolve around deception.

7. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    i agree. guttayelan, you need to give some concrete examples to support your claim, otherwise we won't find what you said very credible.

8. guttayelan

the latest update of the badminton association

dear all:
    since you all have not follow my other postings right from the beginning, you may not know exactly as what has happened in india badminton as this moment..

pls make a note here:

1. with olympics is coming up , all players are preparing for the qualifying tournaments presently..as other players, chetan , jwala and shruti have asked their association to forward their entries to play these tournaments..until now , they didnot forward it...but come up with 2010 commonthwealth preparation...this associaiton is lead by gopi and co..

this news spread acrossed sea, the player's assocition's president, booby has strongly condemned the association for doing this kind of act..so are the other players in the world...however gopi and co are firm on their stand..

chetan , jwala and shruti are the highest ranked players (28th) from india, if they donot go for these qualifying matches, their ranking will go down then will be difficult for them to qualify for india in the olympics...

20 yrs, back , this ssame association has done the same to their former national coach vimal...10 yrs ago they did to gopi...in these two occassions, the players have supported them..but today, it is gopi who has played the same trick to these top ramked players in india..so i think either he is pervert, sadist or criminal , go against the fundamental right of the players..

and these players have reached these rankings by going out for the tournaments on their own expenses to no cost of gopi and the association..

today the players still requesting them to forward their entries and they will play on their own cost to qualify for olympics..

now you all tell me , is this association has done any good for the development of the badminton?

so i said to be a top ranked player in india, it is more tougher, he has to train physically, have to sustain the harassment of the association, then they have to play the politics....after all these they are still ranked 28th in the world....donot you appreciate them?

should we fight for the right of all the player in the country?

for more details mail me to : yelan.gutta@gmail.com

#28 guttayelan, Apr 12, 2007
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2007
  9. guttayelan

read and follow my posting here..i am sure you will know..

hey..

i am sure you know better about indian dirty politics since you were a player , especially from hyderabad...u r guessing is 100% right...

pls do call me: my no is 9866005802

pls read my posting here...you will know more..

we will spilled the bean everyday here..

we will fight and continue to fight these kind of officals of BAI..

encourage us..

10. chikkubhai

chikkubhai Regular Member

gutteylan, I am in fact heading hyderabad on April 22, so will call you locally sooon..

Hey are you in any way related to gutta jwala??

11. guttayelan

pls call me when u r here..u will know everything about me...

12. guttayelan

follow my postings online..u will know the naked truth behind this drama..

13. bad_fanatic

bad_fanatic Regular Member

Day dream about being a Pro Badminton Player
    guttayelan, from what you're saying from your post it seems like gopi is hurting the Indian badminton association by not allowing the top ranked players to participate in major events.

But you also said "20 yrs, back , this ssame association has done the same to their former national coach vimal...10 yrs ago they did to gopi...in these two occassions, the players have supported them..but today, it is gopi who has played the same trick to these top ramked players in india..so i think either he is pervert, sadist or criminal , go against the fundamental right of the players.."

So you're saying that gopi taking revenged on the current national player because of what happened to him in the past?

14. MURDERED CROWS

MURDERED CROWS Regular Member

student
    LMAO! im indian and i play somewhat like that....i love deception...sometimes i make it look like im gonna smash but i drop shot...or at the net how my opponent thinks im gonna clear the shot but instead i cut it to the far corner.....:D

p.s i like that smiley

15. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    Tuesday August 21, 08:05 AM Former badminton prodigy watches old friend from the sidelines
    By Dev S. Sukumar

Kuala Lumpur, Aug 21 (IANS) It's always a strange moment when a former prodigy returns to court. Six years after Abhishek Bakshi gave up badminton - on the cusp of becoming P. Gopichand's successor and the game's most charismatic figure in India since Prakash Padukone - he returned to watch childhood friend Anup Sridhar reach the quarter-finals of the world championships.

Bakshi's decision to quit in his teens, just when he was beginning to show glimpses of extraordinary talent, has never been understood.

Here was a player who at 19 had the sort of European build and game no Indian ever had. Bakshi cut a formidable figure. At 6 feet 2 inches, he was the tallest player in India, long-limbed, broad-shouldered and well-balanced, with one of the hardest smashes in the game, and he was giving the country's best players a torrid time.

In 1999 and 2000 he was part of the Indian junior and senior teams that participated in open events in Asia and Europe. He was called to train with the Indian Thomas Cup team in 2000 during their camp at Bangalore.

Such was his potential that he was selected by the International Badminton Federation (IBF) to join their world junior academy in Cape Town the same year.

And then, just when it seemed he was ready to take over the mantle of national champion from Gopi, he told his coaches he was quitting the game to concentrate on his studies.

In his quest for a management degree, he failed to qualify for any of the premier institutes in India but gained admission to the Hong Kong University of Science and Technology in 2004.

He is doing well now as an investment banker with ABN-Amro, dealing with capital markets and looking very much the studious management whiz. He wears glasses and keeps his hair short - during his playing days he needed a headband to keep his long, flowing hair in place.

'In hindsight it was a good decision,' he says. 'I have a good job and am doing well, so I'm happy.'

But he could've had it all in badminton. He was top-ten material, he could've been doing what the guys on court are doing now - playing for the country and soaking in the atmosphere and adulation.

There is a long pause before he speaks: 'In Indian sports it's fairly simple, right? You get to a stage when you have to make a decision.

'For me that decision was when I finished my undergrad studies. You know I was ranked pretty high and performing well so that decision became hard. But at that point I had a few things to decide on - whether the injuries would play a part, the long term... All of a sudden I started thinking long term as opposed to going with the adrenaline and how I was playing and all that.

'And I also realised that in terms of my family, there were lots of people in banking... An MBA was what I eventually wanted to do. I thought why not do it now.

'If I had... it might seem a silly thing to say.... but if I had definitely seen myself as the best player in the world, then may be it would've been a hard decision.

'But I was sixth in India. I hadn't even won the nationals... So based on what was I going to continue? Just on potential?

'At some point you've got to get real. As in tangible results. What was there backing me at that point? I was not that young - I was 19. And all the guys that have done well, the Lin Dans and Taufiks, they were way ahead by the time they turned 19.'

When he looks back now, there were a few moments that helped him clinch the issue.

One of these was a quarterfinal with Gopichand in 2001 in Jaipur when he lost in quick time. Gopi would go on to win the All England the same year.

'If I had been in the other half of the draw...'

Then there were those matches in the Dutch and German junior opens when he ran into an Indonesian who was the best in the world.

'Even there, you know, it's one of those things when I felt... I got the best guy in both tournaments, and if I had played someone else...

'Little things added up. My right Achilles' heel always hurt. For over a year I was always playing with my leg strapped and ... it was a lot of these little things. You look at Indian sport and the support they get once they're down. One rupture to my heel and it would've been over.'

Many of the peers are now among the world's best. He'd played with some of the current Malaysian internationals at a camp in 1998 and he'd seen China's Bao Chunlai and Indonesia's Sony Dwi Kuncoro - both semi-finalists at the world championships here - in the European junior tournaments.

It's interesting to think of what might have happened if he had taken the road that Anup Sridhar did... for he has grown up with Anup. They were among the earliest trainees at Prakash Padukone's academy in 1994.

They were in the same college and had shared rooms during tournaments away from home.

At the junior level Abhishek, a year and a half older than Anup, was the better player - he had won all the three tournament matches they played.

They've remained close even after Abhishek moved to Hong Kong and he keeps in touch through email and phone.

Anup has been lately creating waves in the badminton world, and it's tempting to ask Abhishek where he might have gone if he had taken the road that Anup did.

But Abhishek reconciled himself early to his decision and has never dwelt on what might have been if he had taken the other fork in the road.

Indeed, he is reluctant even to talk about it. His decision was well thought out and he has no regrets.

He can't avoid the nostalgia, though, that comes with visiting a badminton hall and looking in wonder at 10,000 Malaysian fans rooting for their players.

He also cannot bring himself to play badminton any more, not even for recreation. 'No ... I can't. It's too painful to play badminton, you know.'

16. mtk2

mtk2 Regular Member

Business
    That was a nice and well composed article.
    Good Work

17. mtyce

mtyce Regular Member

Can someone tell me why does a person with so much integrity to refuse a lucrative pepsi contract allow almost all Andhra (Gopi's state) juniors to cheat on age. It is a known fact that all Andhra juniors play one category below their age group. Most other players are at least 2-3 years overage. The cheating is so rampant that I cannot believe that Gopi is unaware. A dental check or TW2 test will reveal the truth, but is there be an intent to catch cheats? :)