How to Improve Wrist Muscles !?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Sephiroth, Dec 24, 2005.

1. azn_123

azn_123 Regular Member

Student
    True True..since you need that swing motion. You use lots of muscles. Try doign a slow motion badminton swing and you'll know which muscles you are using. Like abs<--for rotating motions triceps shoulders I also think bicep is included. And of course the wrist.

2. killersmash

killersmash Regular Member

powerball , squash racket, swing your racket with your wrist in a back hand / forehand ( depend on which stroke you want to improve eg smash ).
    do this everyday.
    50 x 10 squash wrist movement
    OR
    200 x 100 racket swing with wrist
    K!LL3R $M@SH

3. azn_123

azn_123 Regular Member

Student
    WAHHHH you probably have a KILLLERSMASH!!!!=)))

4. killersmash

killersmash Regular Member

not really.. action speaks louder than words.. i dont do what i preech

5. Loppy

Loppy Regular Member

Use a heavier racket when training or practicing for a few weeks, then when you switch back to the lighter racket, your swing speed should improve.

6. Lazymonkeygod

Lazymonkeygod Regular Member

It is actually not great practice to play with a different racquet than when you compete. The reason is that a game doesn't only rely on the hit strength, by using a different racquet you'll gain more strength but in turn you'll sacrifice your accuracy and consistency. Unless you give yourself enough time to get use to the lighter racquet again before going into competition.

7. SystemicAnomaly

SystemicAnomaly Regular Member

pre-Occupied
    Good point, LMG. If you play with a heavier racket (or one with a different balance) than your regular racket, you may throw off your timing. When I use a squash racket, I don't usually hit with it. I use if more a warm-up tool -- I perform practice strokes (w/o a shuttle) with a wooden squash racket as part of my warm-up routine. Only occasionally, do I try to hit shots with the heaver racket.

8. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    A better way would be to warm up with drives (forehand and backhand) before your games, and try to hit as fast and flat as possible. Ironically, the key here is not to swing your racquet with the wrist but rather keep the swing short and sweet by relying on the fingerpower. Relax and squeeze with your fingers as you contact the shuttle. This will not just strengthen your grip strength but also helps you make faster accurate drives as well as improve your general defensive skills.

PS: don't forget to move with the shot so that it's close to center front of you when you contact it. Whenever you anticipated a wide angle shot that is more than a step away, your feet should be the first to move towards it, your racquet later.

#28 cappy75, Apr 13, 2007
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2007
  9. Lazymonkeygod

Lazymonkeygod Regular Member

Just remember, when you train with a heavier racquet it's only for strength building purpose. Don't expect to improve your shot control or accuracy with it. To train for those you must try to keep everything consistent to the actualy competition. As well, when you train with a heavier racquet make sure you don't stress your wrist or forearm too much by over swinging. Maintain the same form as you would with a normal racquet.

10. wonga121

wonga121 Regular Member

I normally use a old tennis racquet to practice with...practice all the action i do in a normal game...this helps alot.....As the weight of it is really heavy...

11. Dinesh_menon

Dinesh_menon New Member

Hey thanks alot guys should be making use of the "Drawing 8 with the Finger" Stuff good One

12. hallus

hallus New Member

improve wrist muscles

Hi,

This is my first post on this site although ive been a member for a while.

The way that i strengthen up my wrist muscles is similar to the idea with the squash racket, but i use a racket head cover over the badminton racket. That way the grip still feels slimilar to the racket that i would use.

With the racket cover on - you can swing the racket hard and fast mimicing the normal badminton actions. As resistance is applied to your normal racket range of motion - this should increase the strengh in this range of motion.

I try to show people this technique to develop a good backhand when they can hit the shuttle but it barely goes over the net or they lack power in the shot. By putting the racket cover on the racket and practicing short sharp backhand swings, it help develop the technique and power in the shot by strenghtening the wrist and giving much better control of the racket action.

When they take the cover off they find that they can hit the shuttle much sharper and further - with a little bit of practice they are soon able to play proper backhand clears.

I also use this technique to develop wrist strength in most shots. another example is lifting from the net. if somebody throws a shuttle to you over the net - you cant perfrom a swing as there is too much air resistance on the racket. however it is possible to use a very short sharp action to hit a powerful lift.

This way your shots all become very short and sharp and much more powerful.

A practice to just work on the muscles when on your own - say watching TV or something - just put the racket cover on - hold the racket directly infront of you with the head up (so the shaft is parallel to your body) then rotate your arm fast in both directions trying to keep control of the pivot point. This will develop strong pronation and suprination muscles which are the muscles used in more or less every strong badminton shot.

It also doubles up as a fan for when you get too hot while performing the exercises ;)

Hope this helps

Shah

#32 hallus, May 29, 2007
    Last edited: May 29, 2007
  13. FitnessFreak

FitnessFreak Regular Member

wrist curls
    powerball
    wrist snapes with racket(+cover)
    those hand gripper things

14. ionoo

ionoo Regular Member

one hand pushups?

15. stumblingfeet

stumblingfeet Regular Member

16. OHMAHGAWDZ

OHMAHGAWDZ Regular Member

Use a latex workout band. Using a table, put the band under your foot, and let your wrist rest on the table, with your hand hanging over the edge. Use the band to do wrist curls. If it isn't difficult enough, wrap the band around your hand. Using a Wal-Mart racquet to do drives against a wall does wonders, too.

#36 OHMAHGAWDZ, Jun 3, 2007
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2007