Smash City or UBC for badminton Training?

Discussion in 'USA West' started by Something, Mar 20, 2007.

1. drowsysmurf

drowsysmurf Regular Member

Make ppl happy O_O
    relax? just showing another point of view. and the guy that got injured might not have gotten injured in the gym. O_O the guy just said that he was injured and couldn't play for 3 months.

I would say there over 6 hours if i could =P i typically go for 4 hrs a day, 6-10pm during workdays and maybe 1-7pm on weekends. and i know a few of my friends would love to get their money worth (stay there the whole day =P)

i do not like ubc either, i think they are unfriendly.

let's say they have 10 courts x4 ppl per court is 40ppl x $7 per entry is $280. if every of those 40 ppl stays the whole day, they wouldn't stay open O_O

friendliness of ppl attending gym:
    Bintang (most friendly)
    Smash City (i have found that the better players (some) are plain rude/disrepectful)
    UBC (ppl are weird... hahaha)

friendliness of staff:
    Bintang (pretty much itz only phu and stella and they're really friendly)
    Smash City (the friendliness starts once the talking gets moving)
    UBC (i see a straight boring face)

i haven't been to ggbc (for distance traveled and price, too expensive, but might try to dop in one day) as for apac, will try it out one of these days to see (prolly great during summer cuz i hear the cooler is right up against the wall, free a/c =P)

2. JohnHarris

JohnHarris New Member

haha. Okay, lets just put it this way. it's kindda like cell phones plan ( year membership). You sign for a two year contract, but you gotta go on a vacation for a month( injuries and can't play for a month). They let you have a flexible way to work out your plan and won't cost you the 60$ normal month payment. I think you only gotta pay 10 bucks or something since you won't use any minutes for a month, that's the same way. If you have to go on a vacation and still pay 60 bucks, i guess it would be really suck. Just like if you have to go away from badminton because of an injury, and still the membership will go away soon, it sucks. I'm just thinking for a buyer point. oh well. another. if one can play for the whole time while it's open. ( day pass). at the end of the day ,you'll be tired, and i guess you won't have enough energy to play 5-7 days the whole day everyday. you'll need to do other stuffs. school... work.. if you're really hardcore about badminton to stay at the gym like a gym rat, then i guess might as well join a badminton team. But as a customer, we all want the best deal, agree? I'm not trying to diss UBC or anything as a matter of fact, there are so many gyms out there, not just ubc alone. I'm just telling about UBc from a player who played at ubc since the opening date.

totally agreed with you on your opinion about each different gym. to many 7 buck is okay, some thinks it's nothing while other thinks it's a lot. for every 7 bucks, it's not just drop in alone. it's gas money, birdies, strings, calculate it all, would cost roughly around 15 bucks each time. And i think people would agree to find the best gym for their price ,right? :D

Oh well.. it seems like this thread and going outta topic.. in terms of training wise.. Smash city got got coaches.. i think GGbc got 5 coaches on their hand.. Bintang would kill your kid's knees. If you really want to go with bintang, just beware, i'm warning you. A lot of my friends were from Bintang, all they do were pure running, no technique whatsoever. The UBC coach would only train if your kid is a prodigy or really good already. She won't focus much attention if he(she)'s a beginning ( also ref. from a lot of friends w/ their kids).

3. B3nny H4nn4

B3nny H4nn4 Regular Member

JESUS Christ guys! the man simply just wanted info on training of the two clubs, not essays on the on which club is better in general! LOL

4. drowsysmurf

Make ppl happy O_O
    =P but with these "essays" he'll get a better idea/comparison between clubs =) hahaha...
    true with what john harris said about the gyms tho. all those gyms has coaches which are pretty good. each has their own style of coaching. bintang uses ankle weights in training to develop the muscles. then they do running after all the drills are done to increase stamina. from what i've witness so far, bintang style of coaching is to train the kids on their speed and endurance and footwork. the shots training are more reinforced later. smash city style of training is a lot of drills and liners but less on the weights. each style has their benefits and disadvantages. in both cases, weights used incorrectly (bad posture, off balance, etc.) can cause bodily injury. and so can overworking ur body =P

5. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Pay per entry is used in many services. If you decide to leave, that's your own responsibility to cover the lost. If you exit a movie theater, can you "make up" the show without pay during the next show time? If you come out of a subway, do you demand a freeride, even if you re-enter within 30 minutes?

Of course, sometimes, we are on the losing end, as, paying for full price, but due to reasons, can't stay long. However, it's your own fault, for not planning well (or, tough luck). Remember, when you played for day long, and still only $7 (hardly can even cover the utility bill), should UBC come to you, and make up the lost? Come on, win some, lose some. Plan ahead, and wish for the best. :cool:

6. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    It's your rights, but please be responsible, and not abuse it. You can talk and relax, but do you ever think your statement might effect someone else' lifehood? It's always easy to finger point others, but not analyze yourself. :cool:

7. JohnHarris

JohnHarris New Member

First of all UBC does not rely solely on open gym. I believe the coach charges student 300 bucks for private lessons. And with each students, she can get 15 bucks a day from each student. And as far as i know, she does not coach for only 2 or 3 hours. But almost the whole day. They also sell products, birdies, grips, shoes , etc.

Some of you don't really know what you guys really want right? Who doesn't want to have the best deal? Who doesn't want to have their money spent wisely? In a theater, they actually let you re-enter if you still have a tix. You can actually movie hop ( i bet a lot do). Do they really care? -_-. I believe Bintang lets you come back after a dinner. Smash city also( i did before). Even the new Apac does too. I'm not sure about GGBC. Is that the majority of the gyms here? -_-. If you don't know facts, then don't speak up please. The subway is another type of business. IT deals with rides, gas. everything is critical. Badminton, who can really play for 3 hours, go eat and come back take over the court for the whole day? Tell me. The strict rules are flaws, they calculated too much on their business. You guys can defend for UBC whatever you want. But I know people want the best for them, and make their money worth it. Nobody wants to pay more. If you want to spend your money on UBC and play only one time, then obviously, you're limiting yourself and just spending your money unwisely. There are far more badminton gym with better customer services, day pass. etc. Please be open mind, That is what i'm saying. I don't really care whatever you guys think. BINTANG - mothly pass 35 bucks, better floor than ubc, better players, friendly. It's hard to say this.. but i feel stupid argueing with you guys. People just need to wake up and realize what is best for them. End OF DISCUSSION!

8. drowsysmurf

Make ppl happy O_O
    #1) i'm a member at bintang
    #2) i go to smash city to play frequently too(please do not ask why)
    #3) i have only been to UBC twice.
    #4) i plan to go to apac in the near future
    #5) i can't rank ggbc at the same rank as smash city, ubc, bintang or apac. ggbc is like "upper class" facility. they have 3 showers o_O try finding that in another badminton only gym hahaha...

that said, smash city does not allow u to go to lunch and come back in (I know that for a fact. u just met some nice worker... probably a female) and i'm not defending UBC, i'm talking about all badminton gyms in general. bintang cost $45/mth for membership O_O if u got $35... u prolly got it when it first opened =P (i got mine 1 year ago now) and i wasn't arguing... lol... this is just an exchange of ideas and experience. if u think this is arguing... then O_O iono what to say. i'm sorry i made u mad. please forgive me. i shall not tell u about what i think anymore.

9. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Spending $$$ wisely and "abusing the rule" (i.e. movie hop) are totally different issues. Whether you are caught or not, it's your luck. However, do you have any honor in yourself? Or, you live like, like me be sneaky, as long as I am lucky, I am cool. :eek: I mean, from when, "being honest and follow the proper rule" becomes "unwise", and "pushing everything to gray area, and play around the law" becomes "wise"? :mad:

It's true that I don't live in your area. I am just speaking as a fact, as the "free re-enter" is not necessarily a must for a business. If they do, they are nice enough to do you a favor, if no, then nothing wrong with them either. Why "not doing a favor" can lead you even thinking about "suing them"? :confused:

Wake up and realize what's the best for themselves? Exactly if everyone thinks "me, me, me..." that's why the society going down like free fall. It's always easy to blame others, but never think about how they going to handle is, if the roles are switched. Imagine yourself own a business, and all the customers flooding in only ask for free goodies or free trials over and over again. Do you think your business can survive?

And what's wrong for a gym to sell equipments and provide training? The price might be not favorable to you, but if they are packed with students, means their price is reasonable to a lot of others based on the quality of services.

10. drowsysmurf

Make ppl happy O_O
    hahaha... ur funny :p

when he said sue them, he was talking about suing them when he gets injured in their gym due to bad gym design or something.

11. drowsysmurf

Make ppl happy O_O
    oh yeah... coaches do not get the whole amount of money they charge. typically, the gym hire the coaches and pay them on per hour basis, what is left from the fee, the gym uses it for upkeeping the floors.
    oh i finally figured out why if u meet like a high school student/college student working part time at these places they might be unfriendly. here are some reasons:
    1) they are underpaid (like minimum wage but they get free entry to gym which isn't that big of a deal)
    2) they have classes in the day or at night and working hard to keep their grades so they might be just plain tired and cranky at times even tho professionality should be kept separate from personal life.
    3) the players make their jobs difficult (ex. itz closing time and ppl takes like 15-30 minutes to leave after the closing time. or the players make the bathrooms all wet by washing their face and their hair and dripping water all over. or players are really inconsiderate and leave garbage all over the place when trash cans are right in front of their face and they are too lazy to take 2 steps to throw their garbage in.
    4) some of these ppl get caught up in personal problem (you know kids nowadays)

that's what i learnt from talking to people working at gyms (not UBC or APAC tho)

12. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Those are reasonable guesses, and I agree.

I am not saying today's services (in general) is in perfect standard, but the customers have the responsibility to "understand" and "respect" as well. It's not like I pay $7 (which is very low consider US economy), I should be treated as a king of the world. Well, if you really push for better services, pay more and going to better overall gyms. You get what you paid for. It's not like you pay $20 for a used bike, and you can complian that why the hell it's not as fast and comfortable as a brand new BMW. :rolleyes:

13. Rainofserenity

Rainofserenity Regular Member

that's not true. ... I think it's just the people. Some people can work really hard and some will be stress out after a bit or work. :(. Same goes for students. I met a lot of active, motivated students, most don't really complain and have a long face all the time. haha. :D. Every job is noble for me, minimum or not, if you complaint about your job, i'm sure a lot of other people can fill in your spot. ;) Plus, it's not hard to smile everyday! haha

14. drowsysmurf

Make ppl happy O_O
    now u can read my pm and let me know if u'd have a smiling face day in and day out =P personally i carry 2 jobs. on some days i'd be up at 6-7am and be working till midnight (16 hrs of work not counting the fact that it takes 2 hrs to drive to and from work which puts me only in 4 hrs of sleep time). putting up a smiling face everyday is quite hard at times especially when sleep deprived and some customers are being plain rude. that can really ruin it for me even if i wouldn't mind smiling everyday. itz easier and takes less energy to smile and be relax than tense and mad. =P

15. macauboy

macauboy Regular Member

student
    @ JohnHarris--- u said u can sue for getting hurt there, how can u prove u got hurt at ubc??? how can u prove that place said no to extend period? tehre is no way... why are u trying to trash ubc? why dont u open a gym and offer extention and such for us? i bet many of us would go to ur gym

16. Dummey

Dummey Regular Member

Student
    Well obviously, if you break your leg in the gym and have to be carried off, it is reasonable proof enough. How can you prove that they said no to an extension? Simple because that is how their policy happens to read. It's not about trashing UBC, but giving the pro and cons for each gym.

17. drowsysmurf

Make ppl happy O_O
    why are u guys still chasing that down O_O oh em gee... let it rest already. hahaha.. itz just his opinion as for trashing... it just comes with his opinion. i bet you he would gladly open a gym if he had the resources to also. last but not least... if u go out and come back, typically no one catches you for it unless ur really gone for the longest time maybe 1 or 2 hrs. u can always say u were in the bathroom poo-ing hahaha... =P anyway... the main concern of this topic is which training place not so much about injury this injury that.

18. B3nny H4nn4

B3nny H4nn4 Regular Member

I really like how a simple question escalated in to such chaos...lol

calm down guys...jeez....lets all grab a drink together and play mahjong and sing karaoke

#38 B3nny H4nn4, Apr 13, 2007
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2007
  19. drowsysmurf

Make ppl happy O_O
    yeah...i'm up for the mj and drinking and karaoke even tho the song right after my singing would by "cry me a river" due to my bad singing :p

20. SystemicAnomaly

SystemicAnomaly Regular Member

pre-Occupied
    The point was not the liability issue. Many places have you sign a waiver for that reason. The point that I was making was that he was unable to use the facilites for an extended period of time, yet they refused to compensate him.