Beginner - Which Raquet

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by crazyboy139, Sep 19, 2002.

1. jwu

jwu Regular Member

Medical Research
    Um I don't know how expensive MP 55 is up in Toronto but they are around $100USD here in Boston, MA, US. Are you sure you wanna spend $100 on your first racquet? My advice is still go and buy yourself a cheap <$60USD racquet and learn some technique first before spending >$100USD on a racquet. You are learning what to DO with a racquet right now, get something that has big sweet spot, durable, flexible, and replaceable if broken (cheap).

2. jsevalle

jsevalle Regular Member

student
    That is where low-end rackets come into place.

3. Biogentic

Biogentic Regular Member

student
    i agreed, i start off playing with my carbonex 9300 sp limited after a few months then i switch to a higher end mp100, well i don`t mean my skill have improved a lot that i get the high end racquet but it is just merely the price difference is not that great. now have to get use to the mp100, btw it really generate alot more smashing power than my carbonex 9300 limited. Oh i am using Yonex MP100 3U with Micro Legend stringed at 24lbs

4. crazyboy139

crazyboy139 Regular Member

Hmm..
    Well I dun really have too much interest on changing racquets, I just hope I could use one racquet for a long long time, I'll give the airblade stuff another look b4 I conclude :)

5. jwu

jwu Regular Member

Medical Research
    As a beginner, one has not yet develope any particular skills or a style of playing yet, it would be a pity if you got an expensive racquet but it does not suit your needs. Also, there is a higher tendency of breaking a racquet when you are a beginner, another reason why expensive racquet is not suitable here. Overall just trying to offer some advice but in the end, like tchandra said, follow your heart and get something you like if money really isn't a problem for you.

6. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    I am glad to know that you have confidence and $$$ to go for MP 55. It's a good racket, however, not for beginners. Like I metioned in my previous post, the guy who got trouble deal with His Ti-7 (pretty good racket in Yonex) was really regret about his purchase, and had to switch back to his old racket.

I agree that everyone has his/her own thoughts, and maybe u r really "born" to be MP series, but mathematically speaking, I think MP is not a great choice to start with...

If possible, we can still change ur mind, try to start with something cheap, and u can switch to MP 55 just in several months, when u start to have some skills and already know what kinda style u prefer (since $$$ is not a problem to you, why not start to some cheap ones, bust it in several months but gain necessary experience, then get whatever u dream about)

Just a suggestion...

7. tchandra

tchandra Regular Member

Computers
    honestly speaking, I agree with all these guys - they are more experienced, and I usually listen to them, except when I have my heart set on something.
    maybe I am just playing devil's advocate, but i wanted to share this. There is this dealer from Canada who has lately been selling new rackets on ebay - for about $50 less than current value. Here's a listing for MP55 for $60.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1862807775

I know that he keeps posting these all the time. Maybe you can contact the seller and ask him. I have never bought from him, but no harm in checking him/his feedback out.
    He also has a Cab8 for $50. Maybe you can go for that, and when and IF you still decide to get a MP55 - it will be $60 more, and in $110 you will have two rackets, you would have been wise and started with a simpler racket and worked your way up and maybe by then you may decide that you do not need a MP55 after all.

but listen, finally the decision is yours. Just because people advise you against it does not mean it is wrong. but just because you want it so bad, does not mean it is right either!
    Man, here's another post that has so much text and is utterly useless. Maybe I have a future with Microsoft??? :D

8. crazyboy139

Hmm what if I bought the MP55, and just used my friend's racquet for a few months, since he has an extra one, and switch to MP55. In that case I save the money for the 1st racquet, and would have MP55. Win Win :D

And yea til now I'm still pretty much into MP55 :p

9. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Hmmm... Seems u r really into MP 55.

I think ur idea is not bad, since u pretty much sounds like "let me just sumbit this damn order" already... :D

Just make sure, let ur friends read all the replys about "easily break 1st racket" posts. So, if u really "messed up" his alternate weapon, you can say, "see... told u before... rookie's mistake mah..." Hope he won't get mad.... hehehheheh...
    j/k lah...

Once again, enjoy!!!

^___^

10. jwu

jwu Regular Member

Medical Research
    hmmm if u got a racquet to borrow and use, then that's all good. as long as your friend is ok with it. =) go get yourself a mp55 then and enjoy it when the time comes, but then again, you might want a mp100 then. :D

11. Nic

Nic Regular Member

BCBF Member
    hm... why do you need to buy a new racquet that might not suit your style since you can borrow from your friend for the time being?

i would suggest you to use your friend's racquet (if he doesnt mind) while developing your skill and knowledge about the game, then only decide what type of player you are and which racquet is better for you.

if I am your friend, I would feel better this way by lending you my racquet since you dont have one. But not, lending you a racquet while you already bought yourself a brand new one. ;)

12. crazyboy139

Yes I am so into it I can almost say I'd get it for sure when I have time.

Today I tried the Carlton Airblade Power and just Power, I like the Airblades more, and more than the Wilson one they had too.

MP55 is pretty much a definite, unless I go there, and swing it again, but not like it, til then maybe someone could convince me outta it. LOL, but thx though for all the advice. :)

13. crazyboy139

Today I went to get MP55.
    Ended up getting it all the way at Lee's.
    First went to National Sports, you ppl are right, like Sports Chek, its GAY.
    I had to pay $25 for the strings, ON TOP of the racquet, THAT IS LAME, that'd come out to $150! :mad:
    So I went to Yo's. But ITS CLOSED ON TUESDAYS, WT?!?!?!?! :mad:
    Finally I went to Lee's, I think I might take lessons there, since ppl seem so pro ><
    MP 55 came out to $138 or something, normal b65 string included (they're stringing for me @ 20lbs).
    Anyways everything seems fine, thx everyone for all the advice and suggestions you've put in, thx a bunch :D

14. TDotSmAsHer

TDotSmAsHer Regular Member

Student Gr 11 in Sept.------- badminton player/ad
    Sheesh.. i coulda gave you some info on wtb and stuff lol.. added you on ICQ but don'tthink u were on yesterday.. :p

15. Marky

Marky Regular Member

Richmond, Beautiful British Columbia, Canada
    Crazyboy139: MP55 can be a very power weapon. One of my friends is using MP55 and he can produce thundering and killing smashes out from it.

Enjoy your new racket.

16. jsevalle

jsevalle Regular Member

student
    So, you did end up with a MP55, just be careful with it. A high-end for a beginner, nice.

17. jwu

jwu Regular Member

Medical Research
    Just take care of the racquet and not bang against anything. I got a friend who's using Ti-7 light as her first racquet and she turn out ok and the racquet is still in one piece after 6 months. :) Good luck w/ your game crazy, lesson is a wise choice.

18. crazyboy139

I really want lessons, but the private ones are $50 (can.) a lesson, on top of the membership fee for a year, which is like another $50 for the whole year. QUITE EXPENSIVE THERE................. So I might just go for $200 for 3 months or something. And yea I'll take good care of it :D if it breaks I'll go get another one, lmao :p Nah seriously though I wouldn't let anything happen to it, or I'll go crazy. Thx everyone :)

19. crazyboy139

Sorry, I just read the paper again.
    Its $50 initiation under 25 years old, then another $40 or so per month for their membership.
    Then its possible for you to take private lessons for $50 each time.

Just clearing things up ;)

20. NVIDIA256

NVIDIA256 Regular Member

Let me clarify this for you CRAZY. Lee's is not $50 a lesson, as I just signed up there last month. Currently I'm being couched over there by Stacy, whom is $35 a lesson; the other guys are 40-45 a lesson. Thing is you can't get the guys like, Troy etc.. Who want 45 an hour; they are booked and have a waiting list. I think Stacy and another girl might have some free space left in, so go over to lee's and ask whom is available, find out etc...Hurry up!

As for your purchase, I still think you should have waited and gone to yo's to try out racket's like Victor, Carlton and Froza etc... but as long as you are happy with the racket, that's all that matter's.

Personally I don't think mp55 is that high end(unless you but it over at SPORTCHECK where it's over priced), but Myself I just started playing badminton and I went and bought the top of the line Carlton racket "AS-Ti" Granted, I don't brake racket's, although I think this racket of mine is phenomenal, it works really well with me.