Misbun-Juniors not up to mark

Discussion in 'Malaysia Professional Players' started by ants, May 23, 2007.

1. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    NST

IT is a damning statement but one that is the truth — there is no life after Lee Chong Wei and Hafiz Hashim for Malaysia in the singles, at least for the next three years.

That was the brutal assessment of national singles coach Misbun Sidek on the sorry state of the available players and it could stretch even longer if junior talent Arif Latif, 18, shows only slow progress or fails to realise his immense potential.

Misbun said Chong Wei and Hafiz — despite his inconsistency — are still way ahead of the rest of the singles shuttlers and the disparity is indicated clearly by national No 3 Kuan Beng Hong.

Despite the exposure that his status affords him, Beng Hong is struggling even against Project 2010-2012 squad players.

"There is no player who has shown the potential to challenge Chong Wei or Hafiz and we have to accept this fact. There is hardly anyone who can come close to them in the next couple of years," said Misbun in Bukit Jalil yesterday.
    "Arif is the player who has tremendous potential and can become as good as our top two but he is still very young and it will take two to three years before he can fully develop into a world class player.

"He is smart and has a few qualities which resemble that of Taufik Hidayat (of Indonesia) when he was 16 but physically, Arif is not strong enough to match senior players.

"The project squad players have had enough exposure. They must start winning at least the satellite tournaments if they want to excel at international level."

Misbun’s strategy is is to adopt an open door policy in training where project players, under the guidance of his brother Rashid, are allowed to train regularly with Chong Wei, Hafiz and Beng Hong and even junior shuttlers like Arif and Vountus Indra Mawan are given the opportunity to do that at the Juara Stadium.

Project players Tan Chun Seang, Lim Kenn, Chong Wei Feng, Liew Daren, Beryno Wong and Chong Li Qun have benefited from the training arrangement but Misbun wants the players to turn these opportunities into victories.

So far, Lim Kenn is the only player to win a satellite event — last year’s Sri Lankan satellite — but it has to be noted that there were no other strong players except for his 2010-2012 project teammates.

Misbun said that Chong Wei’s career was bolstered by his first title in the Luster Malaysian satellite in 2003 and the 25-year-old has won eight grand prix and super series titles since then.

Up-and-coming Indonesian shuttler Andre Kurniawan, 20, won the Brazilian satellite last October and he clinched the New Zealand Open title on Sunday, beating national senior shuttlers Wong Choong Hann, Roslin Hashim and Yeoh Kay Bin en route.

"The project players must make the breakthrough in the satellite tournaments as there are some strong players competing in these events now," added Misbun.

"They can become as good as Chong Wei or Hafiz if they become champions. If not, they will end up like some of the national players who are are close to retirement but still haven’t won anything."

Misbun may not have stated any names but it is obvious he was referring to Beng Hong, Kay Bin and K. Yogendran who have been mainstays in the national squad but don’t have a title to their name.

Misbun’s fear is there could be more of the same in the junior ranks.

2. ants

ants Regular Member

Misbun shares the same thoughts with me about Arif Mohd Latif. The rest he was right to the point as well.

3. champion8

champion8 Regular Member

same goes to the Women singles. There is no other women other than Wong Mew Choo.

About time some attention to be given to the Man and Woman Single. Maybe get a coach like Rexy...

4. s1nn3r

s1nn3r Regular Member

Qs
    Cruel

I think those project players under Rashid arent progress as well as they should! My guess is that they wont be world beater in few years time but they are good sparring partners for the juniors. I thought we should put more emphasize on those players under 18 and use those Project 2012 players as their sparring partner!... Just use the funds to send younger players to more competition and retain those project players as sparring partners.

If not mistaken, i read from the forum that Lim Kenn has turn 21 some time ago. I think after 21, they should be consider senior adi... and it's time for them to perform or go?

My statement my might sound cruel, but for the sack of Msia Badminton they should use the funds for better future! I am sure we wont want to see another string of beng hong, kay bin, james & etc.

To be world beater we need TALENTS, HARD WORK alone wont take you there. Because everyone else is equally working as hard..

Just my 2 cents!

CHEERS

5. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    If the juniors are not up to mark, then shouldn't Misbun be responsible? If not Misbun, then who? The talent pool of a well organized team is like a pyramid, where the lower rungs are huge in numbers and talents for you to train and select. The tip of the pyramid will then retire ageing players and be replaced by new blood.

6. ants

ants Regular Member

Misbun is not handling the Jrs. But m sure he will do something about it.

7. kelly

kelly New Member

I do agree that arif got the potential but with his size it will be very hard for him to become a world class player..and he lacks the power..no matter how skillful u r but without the power its hard to make it..

8. Shiro

Shiro Regular Member

Student
    I so agree that Arif has the potential to be 'someone' in badminton but, I don't know...what's wrong with Malaysian sports these days..
    is it the players or the coaches or the government or what?
    His talents should not be wasted. I hope they wouldn't do anything stupid to make the situation worse...

9. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc

Maybe this is the root problem. Misbun and the other coaches are responsible for their respective charges only and will surely defend their patch of turf. From beginners to those selected and up to the elite, the path must be seamless. One supremo to reign over all others.

10. erin_hakkinen

erin_hakkinen Regular Member

Business Student
    Well..for a start..the name of Rashid's charge is Project 2010-2012. As far as I know, it's still 2007.

And for the period of 2006-2008, BAM had their players listed. The list of the Project 2006-2008 members can be seen here. Some of them are LCW, Hafiz Hashim, KBH, LTS, Yogendran, James Chua & YKB. These players should be responsible for this period's tournaments.

And you suggest that we use Rashid's charge as sparring partners???
    Are you for real??

Are we blaming Project 2010-2012 for not performing during this 2006-2008 period? Come on. I believe Rashid is grooming them to be ready for 2010-2012. Ok may be some of them are not performing well in satellite tournaments. But at least some of them are already in top 100. Apart from Lim Kenn, actually Daren also won a tournament. I think it was a tournament in Taiwan somewhere in 2005. And TCS for example, even qualified to compete in AE andother Super Series tournaments. That will be a good experience & exposure for him.

I think they're moving at the right direction. Just a bit slow.

Just my humble opinion ;)

#10 erin_hakkinen, May 24, 2007
    Last edited: May 24, 2007
  11. Dreamzz

Dreamzz Regular Member

yup, i agree with erin, it's too early to judge the project 2010-2012 bunch, that's why the timeline was set in the first place. by the mid 2009, if some of these players still haven't broken into the top 20 say, then something drastic needs to be done.

12. yannie

yannie Regular Member

Good reply, Erin.

13. champion8

champion8 Regular Member

just base on Vietnam Challenge where there is alot junior playing. Our Malaysian team did not fare well.

Our Ladies lost all... Julia lost to Pia of Indonesia and Anita lost to Kim Moon Hi. Korea. Pia and Kim is only 18. Lydia lost to Tracey Hallem. Comparing with country like Japan, Korea and Indonesia our grassroot player did not performed well.

Our Junior Men are not much better.

I feel that it is about time some action have to be taken before we fall too far behind.

14. s1nn3r

s1nn3r Regular Member

Qs
    gOOD POINT tHERE

y0!

Erin, you got a good point there, is only 2007! Some of them might be late bloomer... but who knows? I really didnt took into consideration about this. Just hope at least one of them can become world beater.

I am just comparing their achievement to China & ina player around the same age. We are definately left behind! Like it or not they are using the country limited resources & spaces thus limiting younger players chances to improve.

Cheers

15. Dreamzz

Dreamzz Regular Member

it's just a shame though that most of our players don't peak until their mid 20's, well singles players i should perhaps say. unlike CHN and INA where CJ is doing so well now and also last year, not to mention TH and Mia who were world class in their teens.

16. zqloy

zqloy Regular Member

Disagree. Physical size wont stop u to become successful world beaters if u hv the talent and more hardwork. Plz look at players like LCW, Taiwan's ChengSC, Mia Audina, Gong Zhi Chao and even Susi Susanti, none of them hv the perfect athletic physique. :cool:

17. s1nn3r

s1nn3r Regular Member

Qs

Actually that our top players like LCW & WCH even HH start producing good result before the age of 23.

LCW reach the MS open losing to CH.
    WCH beat Hock Kin to win the Commonwealth Games.
    And most famous of all HH won is AE too before the age 23.

sTILL 2-3yrs to go!!! for this bunch of kids!! Go Go Go!

18. s1nn3r

s1nn3r Regular Member

Qs
    Size

Size isnt everything but Size does matters!!!

19. huangkwokhau

huangkwokhau Regular Member

sales & design
    In My Opinion, MAs should give chances to James Chua. YKB or KBH...if they do not perform well this year, they should be demoted like chian did to Wu Yu Hong ( am I spelling his name, right?)
    MAS should send more Junior players to satellites to improve their mentality...It seems that INA may need another one or 2 years to rise up their WS as well as MS...
    It takes time...remember that mental plays about 90% in the sport..just like tennis..you can have all skills and power but if your brain and mental are not matching....tough to win or finish the games...

20. erin_hakkinen

erin_hakkinen Regular Member

Business Student
    I think last year MAS gave them a chance also..dunno if in 2005 MAS gave chance too? This year want to give again? LOL..don't waste money by sending them to tournaments. Send our juniors instead :D

#20 erin_hakkinen, May 24, 2007
    Last edited: May 24, 2007