Badminton v Tennis

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by hardeep_21, Apr 26, 2007.

1. hybridragon

hybridragon Regular Member

Student
    Or maybe, just maybe, different games require different tactics. And it seems you haven't seen the Serve and volley tactics singles players use. They never always stand in the back. Going up front to the net has a big tactic advantage, but there are less opportunities to do so.

2. peteBro

peteBro New Member

student
    courts

tennis courts can be made grass, clay, or other materails.

Badminton courts are more or less the same.

Top tennis players made more money than top badminton players.

Tennis racquets take high tension . Badminton racquets take less than half of that.

Tennis ball bounce off ground.

.... etc.

3. XtC-604

XtC-604 Regular Member

Store Manager
    Everytime they go to the front is when the other play makes a reallly really bad shot, and the player just goes to pick up dead chicken

4. shuttlehead

shuttlehead Regular Member

retired
    Badminton is fun to play. It is good for developing agility, balance, flexibility. It is not at all good for increasing cardio vascular health. I recently wore a heart rate monitor during badminton practice(constant non stop rallies) and found that my heart rate did not get into the aerobic range, less than 65%. During an actual game my heart rate was even lower, about the same as casual walking. So if your looking for fitness take up a sport like cross country skiing, running, or fast bicycling. :eek:

5. peteBro

peteBro New Member

student
    You must have good fitness.

6. XtC-604

XtC-604 Regular Member

Store Manager
    yea, cause i find my heart rate to increase during intense singles rallies

7. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    I assume you are playing on very low level or against a very poor player if you will not get good cardio from longer badminton rallies. Or your HR monitor is severely broken (maybe the Chest-belt don't handle the jumps??)

To me your statement sound as as ridicilious as if somene told me.. I run as fast as i humanly can 100 m dash intervals for 1 hour without getting into the aerobic range :)

/Twobeer

8. shuttlehead

retired
    My monitor is calibrated with the best telemetric devices. I use it from time to time during each sport I participate in. I can then tell if my fitness level has changed. At one facility most of the players want to get a good workout playing singles or doubles during their lunch hour. We waste no time keeping score but try to score points. Each player has a shuttle in hand so someone is always serving and the rallies are continuous. We sometimes play two on one with those who have limited time taking an extra turn. Those players with an aerobic endurance training background can play an hour or two and come back the next day for more. Experienced players who have only played two hand dink badminton can't complete twenty minutes and are gasping for air. Those players usually don't return and I suspect they do get into the aerobic range. My point is that badminton will not maintain a high fitness level. It would be like recommending that a cardiac patient ride around in a golf cart to achieve rehabilitation.

9. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    Okie, I have a feeling we have another CD6 here :D.

10. hybridragon

hybridragon Regular Member

Student
    That's where you're wrong. Players force others to go up by doing drop shots as well. Effective drop shots are harder to pull off, thus again, less drops. Which means less moving up.

11. Lawho2030

Lawho2030 Regular Member

self employ
    badminton vs tennis

I totaly agree with you. and one things is that badminton prizemoney is much lower

12. Russki Bear

Russki Bear Regular Member

IT
    I don't believe that for a second. I just watched players from around Asia and Queensland come and play in Arafura, including two top 5 Australian singles players. These guys are FIT, and they were definitely playing hard. I saw two evenly matched players at the nationals event last year play until they were buggered.
    These are national level players, some have IBF/WBF (whatever) rankings.

So in short, I'd like to see what happens when you play these guys. With badminton, you'll be buggered and it will be close, or you will lose by heaps and you won't have broken a sweat.

13. DivingBirdie

DivingBirdie Regular Member

student
    shuttlehead: i won't say that i DON'T believe you..:D.......but have you thought maybe you are not pushing yourself to improve enough? :)

14. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    Things like "We waste no time keeping score", tells me your group of player don't really know how to play competetive badminton at all...
    Try to find a good player (regurlarly competeing and training/coaching badminton), then come back and tell us your HR after palying him/her..

Also "My monitor is calibrated with the best telemetric devices" ??
    Calbirate?? a HR monitor??? A HR monitor measures and stores each beat (or an average for less expensive models) of the heart.. simple as that..

I have tried a Polar RS800, the Chestbelt works great with badminton..

http://www.polar.fi/polar/channels/eng/segments/products/RS800.html

What HR monitor do you use, and I am unclear what you mean by "caibrated with telemetric devices" ???? calibrated to what?

/Twobeer

15. jerby

jerby Regular Member

casual hints dropped:
    -he plays many other sports (sport-hopper?)
    -he plays in his lunchbreak
    -he doesn't play matches

now I could be rude (actually, it'd almost be my pleasure to be ;)) but I'll stick with:
    isn't it great badminton can be played on so many levels, by so many different people?

16. shuttlehead

retired
    Polar monitors are excellent. A few year back we had patients wear different models while simultaneousy wired to our state of the art(also Polar)telemetric unit. The personal monitors were never more than 1 bpm off. Anyone who uses a HRM for training soon develops a sense of what level of exertion he is working at and their is no need to always wear one. Just periodic checks from time to time to establish a baseline, sprint training,etc. Each week I play with beginning, intermediate,and former China national team members. The intensity of play varies yet the stop and go nature of badminton itself does not allow the heart rate to get high and remain high for a significant amount of time. I believe that badminton has many positive attributes and I love the game. I also believe that players do themselves harm when they delude themselves into thinking that they can improve their cardio vascular health by playing only badminton. It takes cross training in a high aerobic sustained activity sport to bring about the metabolic changes necessary for optimum health. Reams of research has been published about this over the past 12 years. Hope that clearifies my statement.

17. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    A long rally easilly last 10-30 seconds.. If you can't get your heart rate up in that timeframe, you are not moving enough!!... What is your score against the former China national team members you play (can you give us his name for reference??) .. I highly suspect your game play are to weak, so you don't get enough excersise. btw what is your VO2max and lactate threshold ?

You are right in that Badminton is a stop and go nature.. But intervall training (Stop&go) can of course be as demanding (or more) as constant pace (its depend on the workload during the intervals, and the rest-time), and of course compared to what constant pace is used for sustained workloads.

As with most sports you can "take it easy" or work hard.. its all up to you... The only problem with badminton is that one part of the equation is the opponent.. If he/she is really weak, not much effort is needed to win..and if he/she is to strong for your level the rallies will be short and you won't get much excersise either.

You should try a multi-feed session (maybe 15x15 shuttle-feed) from coach!

18. SystemicAnomaly

SystemicAnomaly Regular Member

pre-Occupied
    This claim duznt sound legitimate at all. What interval (time duration) does your HR monitor use? 6 second? 20 second? Other? This can make all the diff in the world. Badminton is not an aerobic activity at all -- it is anaerobic. HR during a badminton game goes up & down quite a bit becuz of the interval nature of the game. You could easily not see those highs & lows if your monitor is set to display HR for a long time interval.

If you perform sustained badminton drills for a sufficient amt of time (10-30 mins or more w/o any rest at all), you can turn it into an aerobic activity. Is this the nature of your modified play? I suspect that your aerobic fitness may be very good -- this could explain a very quick recovery from a very high HR. For this reason your monitor might not be seeing those temporary elevated rates that your body experiences.

I also suspect that even tho' your play may be continuous, your intensity level must not be all that high if your average HR is not getting very high.

Note that the caloric (expenditure) intensity for badminton is undoubtedly higher than tennis. Altho' it might not be as high as very high-intensity aerobics, it is easily higher than low-intensity aerobics and actually higher than medium-intensity aerobics according to quite a few sources.

Unfortunately, most caloric expenditure charts only display figures for low-intensity recreational badminton and not for competitive badminton. The chart below does show a figure for a skilled badminton player but does not show a figure for competitive badminton (as it does with other sports in this list) --

Caloric Expenditure Table

Your conclusion regarding fitness is also flawed becuz of your very narrow definition of fitness -- more about this in my next post.

19. Master Yoda

Master Yoda Regular Member

Manager
    [edit] Records

The most powerful stroke in badminton is the smash, which is hit steeply downwards into the opponents' midcourt. The maximum speed of a smashed shuttlecock exceeds that of any other racket sport projectile. The recordings of this speed measure the initial speed of the shuttlecock immediately after it has left the player's racket.
    Men's doubles player Fu Haifeng of China set the official world smash record of 332 km/h (206 mph) on June 3, 2005 in the Sudirman Cup. The fastest smash recorded in the singles competition is 305 km/h (189 mph) by Taufik Hidayat of Indonesia.[17]

[edit] Comparisons with other racket sports

Badminton is frequently compared to tennis. The following is a list of uncontentious comparisons:
    • In tennis, the ball may bounce once before the player hits it; in badminton, the rally ends once the shuttlecock touches the floor.
    • In tennis, the serve is dominant to the extent that the server is expected to win most of his service games; a break of service, where the server loses the game, is of major importance in a match. In badminton, however, the serving side and receiving side have approximately equal opportunity to win the rally.
    • In tennis, the server is allowed two attempts to make a correct serve; in badminton, the server is allowed only one attempt.
    • In tennis, a let is played on service if the ball hits the net tape; in badminton, there is no let on service.
    • The tennis court is larger than the badminton court.
    • Tennis rackets are about four times heavier than badminton rackets, 10-12 ounces (approximately 284-340 grams) versus 85-93 grams.[18][19] Tennis balls are about 10 times heavier than shuttlecocks, 57 grams versus 5 grams.[20][21]
    • The fastest recorded tennis stroke is Andy Roddick's 153 mph (246 km/h) serve;[22] the fastest recorded badminton stroke is Fu Haifeng's 206 mph (332 km/h) smash.[23]
    [edit] Comparisons of speed and athletic requirements

Statistics such as the 206 mph (332 km/h) smash speed, below, prompt badminton enthusiasts to make other comparisons that are more contentious. For example, it is often claimed that badminton is the fastest racket sport.[24] Although badminton holds the record for the fastest initial speed of a racket sports projectile, the shuttlecock decelerates substantially faster than other projectiles such as tennis balls. In turn, this qualification must be qualified by consideration of the distance over which the shuttlecock travels: a smashed shuttlecock travels a shorter distance than a tennis ball during a serve. Badminton's claim as the fastest racket sport might also be based on reaction time requirements, but arguably table tennis requires even faster reaction times.
    There is a strong case for arguing that badminton is more physically demanding than tennis, but such comparisons are difficult to make objectively due to the differing demands of the games. Some informal studies suggest that badminton players require much greater aerobic stamina than tennis players, but this has not been the subject of rigorous research.[25]
    A more balanced approach might suggest the following comparisons, although these also are subject to dispute:
    • Badminton, especially singles, requires substantially greater aerobic stamina than tennis; the level of aerobic stamina required by badminton singles is similar to squash singles, although squash may have slightly higher aerobic requirements.
    • Tennis requires greater upper body strength than badminton.
    • Badminton requires greater leg strength than tennis, and badminton men's doubles probably requires greater leg strength than any other racket sport due to the demands of performing multiple consecutive jumping smashes.
    • Badminton requires much greater explosive athleticism than tennis and somewhat greater than squash, with players required to jump for height or distance.
    • Badminton requires significantly faster reaction times than either tennis or squash, although table tennis may require even faster reaction times. The fastest reactions in badminton are required in men's doubles, when returning a powerful smash.
    [edit] Comparisons of technique

Badminton and tennis techniques differ substantially. The lightness of the shuttlecock and of badminton rackets allow badminton players to make use of the wrist and fingers much more than tennis players; in tennis the wrist is normally held stable, and playing with a mobile wrist may lead to injury. For the same reasons, badminton players can generate power from a short racket swing: for some strokes such as net kills, an elite player's swing may be less than 10cm. For strokes that require more power, a longer swing will typically be used, but the badminton racket swing will rarely be as long as a typical tennis swing.
    It is often asserted that power in badminton strokes comes mainly from the wrist. This is a misconception and may be criticised for two reasons. First, it is strictly speaking a category error: the wrist is a joint, not a muscle; its movement is controlled by the forearm muscles. Second, wrist movements are weak when compared to forearm or upper arm movements. Badminton biomechanics have not been the subject of extensive scientific study, but some studies confirm the minor role of the wrist in power generation, and indicate that the major contributions to power come from internal and external rotations of the upper and lower arm.[26] Modern coaching resources such as the Badminton England Technique DVD reflect these ideas by emphasising forearm rotation rather than wrist movements.[27]

20. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    pretty nice summary..

/T