Cool! Rackets under X-Rays! (see the truth of Yonex & SOTX)

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by ASD, Sep 17, 2004.

1. dunker

dunker Regular Member

Veterinarian
    YEp being a vet myself i am aware of the radiation. the cool thing is that recquets dont move so i would not hav to hold it or even be in the same room. still the radiation is somthing to think about....rats...

2. jerby

jerby Regular Member

a tiny bit of rontgen is healthy ;)

seriously, from what I had in school, your rackets are safe. When being submitted to rontgen radiation (machines of today use a minimal ammount) not much really happens: rontgen (like Gamma) radiation are highly penetrative (is that a word? anyway, it pierces everything...unlike Alpha, which doesn't go further than a cm in air) but don't have a lot of ionising-power ( a bit difficult to explain, my books are in dutch)

so while it pierces everything, it won't change your rackets molecular line-up.

anyway, that's what I think...I'd say consult a person who works with those machines daily...

3. vagpwner

vagpwner Regular Member

Ultra high density would = ultra high weight too hahaha

4. 2007fp

2007fp Regular Member

Student

I think he will also expose himself to radiation and hope he will gain the strength to wield that Mighty Wolverine Ten Billion

5. vagpwner

vagpwner Regular Member

I'd be the incredible hulk

6. yippo888

yippo888 Regular Member

Therapy Radiographer

hi!erm just to say in a radiography student...so i experience and work with lots of CT scanners, MRI machines, and imaging modalities.

just couple of things to clear up on this.

CT scans, X rays, all give of radiation. this radiation can be harmful to people if they are exposed to it, and in severe case cause cancer, or burns.
    now ther are strict regulations to how and when these things are used, i assume the person who did these xrays had permission from whoever regulates the usage of X RAY machine wherever he is. altho x ray machines give off a relatively small amount of radiation it is still a dangerous amount.....and always regulated by law and radiation regulations and such.....i doubt u cud just BUY one....ud need to register for proper usage and stuff.

AS for CT scans......MRI scans.....dnt even think about it.......ther is noooooo way ud b able to see anything. in a CT scan....any metallic object would cause an artifact....white streaking, as the xrays cannot penetrate through the metal. which is why if u xray a patient and they have a metal hip replacement...u get a **** image.

and MRI....erm how to put this.....MRI stands for magnetic resonance imaging......it used MAGNETS.........VERY HIGH STRENGTH magnets. personally iv been to an MRI department a few times and we got to play......if u let go of a spoon wrapped in bubble wrap from 1 end of the ring...it will fly from one end thro to the other at 60miles an hour....this is with the magnet ring running on standby. when you do a scan this could increase. it would be a BAD idea to let a racket go anywer near a machine......as i believe u wud not even be able to keep it on the table....!

sorry to sound lik having a go, just wanted to explain some problems with just 'putting a racket in a scanner and see what happens'. the x ray to see idea is good, but it is RADIATION ur talking about. it is dangerous.

#66 yippo888, Jan 11, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2008
  7. dunker

dunker Regular Member

Veterinarian
    I agree, no one can go out and buy a radiograph machine. But being an owner of a vet practice one could actually apply to own one. If i am not wrong, there is actually regulations as to what is the size and spec of an x-ray room (along with the dark room, nope i am not planing to get a digital radiography machine, thats much too expensive). So in theory at least since the last time i check rackets dont move by themselves, it may be possible to just place the things on the table and get out of the room and shoot. In vet practice in this country, it is required by law to have a remote trigger outside the room.

All in the name of fun...but i would state here now that these things are not toys. Radiation is dangerous but the sun is radioactive too (not to the same extent ofcoz.

As much as i would like to see a spoon going at 60 miles an hour, i dont think i want to be anywhere in the same room as that thing. My lecturer told me about a case where by a fire extenguisher brought in by a lab tech to put out an eletrical fire got caught in the megnetic force and "caused some damage to the whole apparatus". But unlike x rays, i dont think MRI can detect cracks and weak points in a racquet as well...i dunno coz i have not tried....yet heh heh.

#67 dunker, Jan 16, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2008
  8. ivans

ivans Regular Member

Student

Hi.. just want to clarify stuffs abit ...
    nanotubes are different things to fullerene
    nanotubes are graphene sheets rolled into tubes like our drinking straw or rolling a piece of a4 paper
    fullerene is also a nano particle but it is a round molecule. its most famously known as the bucky ball where its structure is eactly like that of a football(soccer ball). fullerenes have different sizes as well..

however, a closed nanotube (capsule like) will have semi-fullerenes at each ends of the tube. but i doubt if they'll use capped nanotubes as the cost are really high.

nanotubes are used because of their high mechanical strength (modulus etc...) and i am not sure why fullerenes are used... maybe its just the NANO hype to attract more people to buy (marketing strategy)

sorry for this long post!! hahaha just putting what i learn in uni to good use
    :)

9. dunker

dunker Regular Member

Veterinarian
    Long it may be, but it is very informative. Thanks!

10. yippo888

yippo888 Regular Member

Therapy Radiographer
    sorry!lol i know after i wrote post i realised i had almost written an essay!:confused:

and lik i realised not every1 knows the ins and outs of imaging techinuques so i may been harsh!so sorry!lol

11. Smichz

Smichz Regular Member

Student,Tour guide,Marketer