Fight during badminton session?!?

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by bchaiyow, Jun 26, 2007.

1. bchaiyow

bchaiyow Regular Member

sigh...sorry to say that badminton has come to.....last weekend during a public gym session, there was a fight...between 2 relatively "mature" (40/50+) players - lets call them A and B.

Lets just say B is a C level player, and A and his buddies are at least B level players.

Before this, during other previous sessions, I noticed that, when it was B's turn to play, A and his buddies would immediately hoard the court and then A would tell B that court is full, so B cannot play. This occured quite a few times. But B would quietly go to other courts to play with real beginners. B is trying very hard to improve, which is why he wants to play with this group, but could never do so. So, during a shift change, A was about to play in court 1 and B was to play in court 3 (note that there is another court separating court 1 and 3). There were a lot of people there that night. Obviously, A was going to play with his buddies, but his other buddies who weren't playing on court 1 were about to play in court 3...with B on court 3 as well of course.

So, A dashed to court 3 and prohibited B from playing, and of course arguement ensued and ended up with both of them hitting each other with their rackets. The fight was stopped by a few of us and the shift continued. When the shift ended, A and B argued and A started to swing his racket and hit B a few times again. There were many young kids there too, so I told B, for the sake of the kids, just walk away...and he did, and someone else pulled A away.

There you have it, my first experience of a fight during badminton session.
    Anybody else experienced this kind of stuff before?

2. wood_22_chuck

wood_22_chuck Regular Member

Electronics Technologist
    How is bad behaviour like this tolerated at your/the public gym? i.e. "A"'s bad behaviour.

-dave

3. Athelete1234

Athelete1234 Regular Member

Student
    Wow, that's pathetic. Player "A" must be a real jerk to do that. Good thing you pulled them apart before somebody got hospitalized.

4. RiceBaiiKhao

RiceBaiiKhao Regular Member

I would give punches to A.. fcking jerk
    Boss of the court .. DramaQueen

5. Javalina

Javalina Regular Member

student
    A sounds like a real jerk. Your gym should ban A from playing because he is not courteous and hitting people is just not a good thing to do in public. Anyway, I consider myself lucky because our badminton club is all about playing with all kinds of people we have players who are in their 60s and people are still willing to pair up with them to have fun. Tell A to relax and just have fun on the court and more people should play with B to help him to improve.

6. St00pid

St00pid Regular Member

HAHAHAHAHAH USING RACKETS TO HIT EACH OTHER? HOLY WHAT HAS THIS WORLD COME TO?

holy man I fell off my chair

7. staples

staples Regular Member

What a jerk A is! Is A friends with the people who run the club? Is he the owner? :)

8. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    i have seen many arguments concerning court time. however, i have never seen one that involves physical contact.

95% of the badminton players i have seen are nice courteous folks. some will even let you take their place instead of theirs.

it only gets worse when there are a lot of ppl waiting in line and there is a dysfunctional queuing system.

9. phaarix

phaarix Regular Member

Yeah I haven't seen any badminton player ever resort to violence. And the only time I've seen them get angry is when they've had a bad match, in which case they usually go and sit by themselves until they're over it. And yeah people often give up their place on a court if I or others arrive late. It's such a nice thing that I'm still taken by surprise when people make the offer :).

I agree Player A sounds like a real loser. Selfish and arrogant. I'm very glad we don't have anyone like him around here... And ouch it must hurt quite a bit to have a racquet swung at you deliberately. I got hit (by accident) while walking a little to close behind a court when I was a beginner. I learnt my lesson very quickly :p.

10. Blurry D

Blurry D Regular Member

Corporate Strategy
    There are cases like these were good players discriminate not so good players.But usually they would accommodate at least a game or 2.So far badminton players that i know of seldom does these kind of things.There are bound to be one or 2 incidents like that but i have never heard that someone would use their rackets to hit each other.

Well someone needs to talk to A.Make known to him that it is just a game an it is a recreational. Some people just make it so serious.Enjoy the game mates.

11. Russki Bear

Russki Bear Regular Member

IT
    Who runs the club?? That behaviour would never be tolerated at my club. Court hoarding is especially looked down upon as we only have 4....
    If A didn't like it I would tell him not to come back.

12. Kimmysolucious

Kimmysolucious Regular Member

Where is the court's [FONT=&quot]etiquette? No one likes a pompous selfish jerk.

Someone should tell A to back off or else he might end up with a racket in his face.
    [/FONT]

13. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    50 or 60 year old loser, eh? Some people just never grew up. In proper clubs with rules enforced by the community of members, I doubt it'll come to this. It's only when one drop in to community center games that this kind of incidents will happen more often. Rules which aren't enforced and clearcut are often exploited.

14. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    More like the police is called.

15. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    I was told by a BFer that a few clubs in Toronto have this type of problem. We are not talking a specific age group. Some guys in their twenties and thirties like to use fists to settle court-time dispute and verbal insult.

16. madbad

madbad Regular Member

Well as Kwun pointed out, a dysfunctional queing system is a recipe for arguments and misunderstandings. From the history of players A and B, it was probably only a matter of time before the powder keg blew. Sounds like Player A has an ego that needs to be brought down a notch or two. You didn't mention that his buddies were involved in separating the two combatants. I sure hope they weren't condoning his actions. If they were slated to play with Player B on court 3, they should then have done so and not even have harboured thoughts of abandoning him. 'Cause if they did, they'd be not better than Player A. But it takes two to tango and Player B should not be blameless either for using his racket as a weapon.

I sure hope they weren't high end Yonex rackets; you know how fragile they are :p:p

17. azabaz_ipoh

azabaz_ipoh Regular Member

is second to badminton
    well at least B had backed off in the end and not let the argument accelerate. for that i have a little respect for B. plus, he might not be the first to swing the racket. sometimes you react to violence with violence. sure hope someone talk to A about his behaviour.

18. Smichz

Smichz Regular Member

Student,Tour guide,Marketer
    He must have got an emotional problem,since i never really seen any fighting involved in this sport.

19. Notnimdab729

Notnimdab729 Regular Member

Deputy General Manager
    Fighting on baddies court

Hi guys,
    Look like we have "Survival of Fittest" by Fists:eek: No much difference from "Jungle Laws":mad: Fortunately, I didnt witness any barbaric acts of such kind here. Well, we do see arrogant guys on courts now and then.:rolleyes: The owner of the club should ban such arrogant guy from playing.:p
    Lee;)

20. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Player A should be reported to the management and issue an warning if not banned from the club. Taking advantage of less skilled players, and even applying physical force, is not acceptable anywhere in any sports. :(