BWF and doping : just a joke !

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Zhao, Jul 31, 2007.

1. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    Hope No Doping Scandal In Badminton !!!

Hi jiayou,

Perhaps you have given the right explanation of why fewer Badminton players tested positive. :)

For Badminton, the skill factor plays greater role than the endurance, speed, strength, power, and other factors.

Cheers... chris@ccc

2. Athelete1234

Athelete1234 Regular Member

Student
    That makes sense. The sports with lots of drug scandels are all sports which require muscle to win. In running, jumping, cycling...those all require first and foremost power and endurance. However, Badminton is very skill oriented.

3. stumblingfeet

stumblingfeet Regular Member

The interesting problem then comes up:

Let's say you have a great player, one that is known for his great skills. However, all the training needed to develop that skill has taken its toll, and his body is breaking down from that work. What if there was something you can do to improve recovery, so he can prolong his career and retire with his joints still intact?

Actually, athletes might do many things to improve their recovery: they follow strict diets, always make sure to sleep right, manage their training volume, take supplements, ice water baths, visit soft-tissue therapists, self-hypnosis, electrical stimulation, vibratory stimulation... etc. The point is, they're not like normal people, they do "crazy" stuff all the time as part of their efforts to be top athletes.

I think that when you think about it this way, drug use as another way in which the athlete is devoted to their sport, the whole issue becomes a lot more interesting than the simple "drugs are bad" arguments seen in the news.

As for the health aspect, consider the fact that birth control pills are commonly used drugs that manipulate hormone levels to suit a certain lifestyle...

4. Zhao

Zhao Regular Member

stud
    You want to say that is not a problem to take drugs!:eek::eek::eek:

There're rules today with prohibited medicine. If a player take this medicine, he's just a cheater. He doesn't respect his sport, the other players and all the fans. That's the worst attitude in sport!!!

5. stumblingfeet

stumblingfeet Regular Member

What I'm saying is that people don't tend to think too deeply about this subject, which is too bad because I think it is an interesting topic. Things aren't "right" or "wrong" just because someone else says so. It is much better to think about things, and contemplate the grey areas between each side.

6. jerby

jerby Regular Member

then cite your sources, if it's all so simple...

well, lucky me...I haven't been controlled for 10 years:confused::p

It's impossible to know, yet it's impossible to say everybody is clean? I'm stuck between and argument out of unknowing, or just a plain paradox..which is it?

7. Zhao

Zhao Regular Member

stud

Sorry but i don't understand the last sentence!

8. jerby

jerby Regular Member

okay, let me try to rephrase and explain:

your statement:
    A) It's impossible to know [iwho does drugs]
    B) It's not possible to say everybody is clean

My rebuttle (simplified): everybody is innocent until proven guilty
    My rebuttle, like I wrote it, was more a disection of your argument, which is either a paradox or a fallacy (I tried using the friendly term)

I wasn't exactly straightforward, sorry

9. Zhao

Zhao Regular Member

stud
    OK, i understand now.
    Of course everybody is innocent until proven. But i just want to say that is much more easier to be innocent when you are a badminton player (with 1 or 2 international drug test per year maximum) than a cycler with 40 or 50 !!! And of course that's much more easier for BWF to say badminton is clean.
    Once again my first post was against BWF politic and not against players!
    I hope i've answered your questions, jerby. I don't want to convice you but just give my opinion.

10. jerby

jerby Regular Member

right, right, zo you're saying Lin Dan, Taufik Hidayat, Peter Gade, any top 10 player gets no more than 2 tests a year?

I must say I'm sceptical...

11. Zhao

Zhao Regular Member

stud
    Yes

In the international event, no more than 3 controls a year. That's sure !
    If you take the Top 60 in MS, the average is 1 control, not more.

12. jerby

jerby Regular Member

I think the source of those numbers is entirely you

http://www.internationalbadminton.org/documents/anti-dopingstatutes.pdf
    the BWF anti doping statutes: (paragraph 4, 5 and 6 might be of some use)
    - a random number of people are to be chosen during each national or inetrnational even to be subjected to doping-controles
    -players can be selected for both out-of-competition and in-competition doping controles

the site also states the BWF meets the WADA's requirements...

so I guess it's not much of a "joke"

#52 jerby, Aug 13, 2007
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2007
  13. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

1. Stop posting everything in blue, please. The default fonts are there for a reason.
    2. Quote your sources: refer to a reputable website or print publication that supports your (as yet entirely unsubstantiated) claims.

14. Zhao

Zhao Regular Member

stud
    Ok

Ok BWF make a great job to fight doping. Sorry for my first post.
    I understand now why many countries have this politics.

15. Zhao

Zhao Regular Member

stud
    Yes and that's the reality. All the playershave been controled out of competition and in competition many, many times. That's in the anti doping statute!! Of course, am i stupid???
    Thanks BWF, that's a great job.

16. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    i am glad that BC members are always sensible and won't let unsubstantiated rumors to thrive in the forum.

17. sportsdoc

sportsdoc Regular Member

Sports Physician
    Doping Control - reality

Each test cost approximately USD200. Somebody has to pay for it. If you do more tests, you would have to have a bigger budget.

Players and organisers do not want their competition to be interrupted. Going for doping test can be a big nuisance if they are not prepared!

You dont want too many positive tests for a sport. Will not look good to the sporting community.

And of course, there are rules and regulations.

18. TrueBlue

TrueBlue Regular Member

the end of this thread is to me quite sad.it ends in a seemingly one minded way. but i think it must be allowed to look at other sports like cycling: for many years the spectators celebrated their drivers until one day the truth was a little bit revealed and then they were all "hated" which was also ridiculous.

kwun wrote: i am glad that BC members are always sensible and won't let unsubstantiated rumors to thrive in the forum.

i think its not goodtouse your role as administrator to influence debateswhich you dont like just by your authority as a administrator - For example often i read here in the forum postslike: "This is something kwun might have said...". I think then people see more the title of the poster rather than the subject.

19. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    not true. i merely commented on the way forum members handles/discuss in a thread. i made no claim to agree with the topic at hand. i encourage discussion based on facts and not based on rumor or hearsays. regardless of what the topic is, and regardless of whether i agree with it.

the thread starter started a sensitive topic making unsubstantiated claims. in situation like this, forum members can either fall to the unsubstantiated claim, or make wise response refuting it. it is up to the thread starter to present evidence which never materialize.

i believe BC members are open minded, but at the same time, we don't want to fall into baseless rumors. if proper evidence has been presented, then we will discuss accordingly.

20. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    TruBlue you have bumped 2 old threads dealing with doping. do you have any information that we don't know about and would want to share with us?