Choong Hann the Commentator

Discussion in 'World Championships 2007' started by kedahan, Aug 16, 2007.

1. chickenlittle

chickenlittle Regular Member

i dont really like John, he is over commenting n loud at times...
    its really annoying as i cant really hear the players movements and sound on court...
    id love gillian clark and morten frost...both of them do not interupt the flow of the game and accentuates strong key points after a terrific rally...great commentators!

2. kedahan

kedahan New Member

uni student
    HAhaha....u r right man..but its not bad already i must for for WCH..hope he improve..

3. jeyel

jeyel Regular Member

Yes. I also find the John guy rather annoying. His knowledge of the game is shallow. WCH may not be too expressive but at least he's not irritating.

4. kedahan

kedahan New Member

uni student
    Today during the match btween KKK/TBH and the Japanese geishas WCH mentioned something about the BAM training sessions which I think its a interesting point..he should come out with more of those...I realized he is improving fast in his commentation from match to mtach..good job.

5. leeyco78

leeyco78 Regular Member

Film Producer/Editor
    I am not good one la.. Hahaha... I stopped for 1 yr already due to back injury.
    Where do you play? I used to play in Tmn Mega, & SS2 school. :)

6. kedahan

kedahan New Member

uni student
    I play at Cyberjaya or around Seri Kembangan..Its a bit far from SS2..haha..anyway,I would like to join u guys if got chance.

7. leeyco78

leeyco78 Regular Member

Film Producer/Editor
    if im not mistaken, u are/were from MMU? I was frm there...grad 5 years ago. :)

8. kedahan

kedahan New Member

uni student
    I see,its cool dude..Ya I am MMU final year undergrad..so what course u took back then?

9. fastdrop

fastdrop Regular Member

WCH is really a nice guy. I met him three times before, the Singapore Aviva Open, the Sudirman cup and the China Open recently. He speaks good English and is really very accommodating. Our first talk during the Aviva open was rather short. I was surprised that he remembered me when we met again in the Sudirman cup. I cheered for him during the China open and I lost my voice during the final match against Lin Dan. Unfortunately, he did not make it to the Philippine Open for some reasons.
    Last Monday, I saw him in KL at the opening of the WC. Too bad he did not play. He is a very nice and pleasant person.
    In my frequent watching as expectator and fan, WCH is one of the few who treats his fans well. In my experience, the following players are warm and friendly:
    1. WCH - Malaysia
    2. Dicky Palyama - Netherlands
    3. LCW - Malaysia
    4. Flandy Limpele - Indonesia
    5. Albertus and Yohan - Hongkong, China
    6. Chen Hong - China
    7. Boonsak Ponsana - Thailand

10. X Ball

X Ball Regular Member

Anup was seen walking around the stadium taking photos with fans (mostly gals) -- so he wasn't that bad either.

11. fastdrop

fastdrop Regular Member

You're right. The Indian team stays at the Summit Hotel, my hotel too. He is a little bit shy though. The other player from India who is more friendly is Chetan Anand. I forgot to include Ronald Susilo and Kendrik of Singapore.
    I think the key factor is their ability to speak English. Some tries to avoid because they do not speak English well.

12. Han

Han Regular Member

Engineer
    Yes, nice to know so many nice players around to chat with the fan. In US, Halim Heryanto , Tony Gunawan and Howard Buch are very approachable, they visit Smash City in Northern California occasionally and spar/bet with local Dragon Lum/Elite team, of course as host, we always let them win :D
    I heard LCW is really nice taking Chinese players around during Malaysia Open, too bad US no longer offer meaningful event to attract top players from other nations else I am sure we can also be hospitality.

13. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    WCH definately enjoyed commentating. He told me that he still have alot to learn about the work and don't mind doing it next time. His wife have not heard so far how her husband sounds on tv doing commentary. She would like to see if there is any recorded matches that her husband is commentating. Same to me as well since i have not heard him on tv. At least now he is getting used to it.

14. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    One must bear in mind that WCH is not commentating in his first language. I find that he struggled to come up with the right words. Should be frustrating not knowing how to say the things you want.

15. robin7

robin7 Regular Member

Dreamer
    What u said is quite true. I think if I were him I will be "kiki katkat" (in cantonese) when giving commentary...

16. fastdrop

fastdrop Regular Member

Give him some more time. I believe he will overcome whatever insecurities he has. I'm sure he can do it.

17. wierdngifted

wierdngifted Regular Member

artist
    I love the commentating duo of Frost and Clarke...they have many stories to tell and "my word "gillian really knows the game she seems to reseach more of all the badminton players,I am really fond of listening to her with mr.frost because of analysis of the game and some snippets of stories of some players...
    i dont like that John guy,he doesnt know the game and he doesnt know how to analyze the game....