Which tension for new Ti-10

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by kungfukid, Aug 28, 2007.

1. kungfukid

kungfukid Regular Member

Hey guys,

i'm getting a new Ti-10 3U. The shop told me that the recommended tension by yonex is main 18-20lbs and cross 20-22lbs. Why is it so low?? Bcos it's fragile?? i see that Armotec 900 can go until 23-25lbs.

What tension do you recommend for this racquet? i'm thinking of string it at 23-25lbs.

Btw, when you guys simply say 23lbs, it goes for main tension or cross tension? tnx!!!

2. Athelete1234

Athelete1234 Regular Member

Student
    23lbs for cross, and what tension you put on it should be what tension suits you. Pros have strung up to 30 something lbs regularly on those, Probably Dinkalot, or Pete LSD have strung it somewhere around 33lbs.

3. kungfukid

kungfukid Regular Member

the problem is that i do not know which tension suits me. all this while, i was not aware of my racquet's tension.

I have been playing badminton for many years but then stopped it until recently. used to play for school. i consider myself as an intermediate player. i play mostly doubles. any suggestion is welcome! tnx

4. Blurry D

Blurry D Regular Member

Corporate Strategy
    I string my ti-10 at 25 and so far it was all good nothing i worng with it..it all depends on what you prefer and comfortable with.

5. morewood

morewood Regular Member

Going for custom strings in a new racquet is going to totally alter your ability, so a degree of trial and error will be required to get a good balance for you. Bearing in mind that the Ti10 is stiff (very stiff in fact) going for very tight strings could be too much for you.

Suggest you ask for BG80 string (top quality Yonex String) and probably start off with 20lbs main, 22lbs cross and see how you do, you can always tweak the string tension up as you play more.

6. drifit

drifit newbie

PM
    BG85 at 24lbs main and 26lbs cross.....

7. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    30 lbs main X 33 lbs cross :D

8. kungfukid

kungfukid Regular Member

ya. i'm going to use bg80 after reading so many + reviews. but still not sure which tension to put. may go for 25lbs to get a feel of what high tension can do.

9. drifit

drifit newbie

PM
    i beg you, pleeeeaaase stop torturing the racquet....:crying:

10. SaintDragon

SaintDragon Regular Member

Student
    I have two new Ti-10's. I strung one at 28lbs main 30lbs cross and the other at 27lbs main 29lbs cross. I liked the 30lbs one after it's been used for a while and the 29lbs one when it was first strung, so I think it's most suitable somewhere between those. However, it's different from everyone. I use BG80 as well.

11. XtC-604

XtC-604 Regular Member

Store Manager
    The recommended tension by yonex means next to nothing, there are people who string their racquets at like 30+lbs, when their racquet only recommends 20lbs...oh wait it does mean something it means if the stringer strings it for you at a tension higher than what yonex says and breaks your racquet, yonex may or may not replace it, your stringer will most likely not offer a replacement either.

If you're really going to experiment with tension then, i think use BG-65 as it slackens two pounds easily the next day, so you get 25lbs on the first day and 23 on the next = ), then you can experiment with two different tensions on one string! GOOD DEAL EH!?

12. morewood

morewood Regular Member

Well if you want too. Not knowing you (but from your earlier comments) I would think that with the Ti and that tension your going to be taking a huge step into the unknown, if you still have any power left I would be quite suprised.

As for the guys talking about 30lbs + on a stiff racquet they must have titanium joints I know if I put that much tension on strings and then played with a stiff racquet I would be down the doctors the following morning.

13. GunBlade008

GunBlade008 Regular Member

Student, Retail.
    I don't know why the tension recommendation is so low, but the frame does feel abit fragile IMO. I strung mine with BG80 and BG85 at 24lbs (23x25) and it's been fine so far.

14. drifit

drifit newbie

PM
    this tension is good. not too soft nor too hard on the stringbed. very nice to play at this tension, 24lbs.:D

15. wocdam

wocdam Regular Member

Professional
    i agree with drifit, 24lbs is a nice tension to play at. nice control, but definitely light on the forearm.

16. Nievk8701

Nievk8701 Regular Member

Trader
    i strung my ti-10 at 26 lbs with bg65.
    the feel is there, but not as powerful as when i string with yonex 68ti string.

17. kristian

kristian Regular Member

new Ti 10 is not fragile,so don't be worry to put it in a high tension like armortec or MP

18. LouisW

LouisW Regular Member

Don't agree !!!! my new version Ti-10 strung at 25/27Ibs and the frame (outer surface) cracked after a few smashes.

19. Virter

Virter Regular Member

Engineering
    Im planning to get the new Ti10... and im a armotech user at 24lbs... this time im going to string the new Ti10 at about 25lbs... wat is the tension for main and cross...? i haven try this before.... wat do u mean by main and cross... is it main like this ( l ) and cross like this ( - )....?

20. LouisW

LouisW Regular Member

yes.
    i strung mine at 24 ( I )/26 ( - ) or 25 ( I )/27 ( - ).