A Year Later: Let's vote on the New/Old Scoring System again.

Discussion in 'Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating' started by kwun, Jan 12, 2007.

?

New or Old Scoring System?

1. Old - Service based 3x15 scoring system

1 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. New - Rally based 3x21 scoring system

2 vote(s)
    66.7%
  1. hawknelson

hawknelson Regular Member

pizza maker
    yes being fit is part of the game.

an example of what im trying to say is if...
    in old scoring two players go to 3 games, one player is faster, more consistent and skilled, and the other is fitter. then the fitter player wins in the 3rd game because the other player gets to tired and doesnt play up to his potential. So the better player loses. I just think its a disadvantage of the old scoring...

2. Gabriyel

Gabriyel Regular Member

I have to vote for the new scoring system.
    Just caring to explain:
    -Some say it does not allow comebacks. Since comebacks are only made when one player wins more rallies than the other, OSS and NSS does the same, just faster with the NSS.
    -Some say fitness is not as much of an advantage than before. This is not true, for now that games last shorter, players can play with more intensity, therefore compensating for the shorter gameplay time.
    -Some say they have not seen any media improvement (goal cited by the WBF) for badminton. Well, I can't say for other countries, but in Canada, media exposure has at least doubled and tournament attendance (players) has greatly improved.
    Yes, it does change strategies, both mental and physical and yes it did not answer to all the promises made by WBF, but let's not forget that evolution is very important to a sport and that's what it is.
    SO QUIT B*TCHING AND ADAPT!!!!!

3. morewood

morewood Regular Member

As a player I prefered the old system, as a spectator (or waiting to play) I prefer the new.

4. vlkbad

vlkbad Regular Member

Not true. In fact, false.

Eh.

Not so, here in the US.

This is not evolution, this is breeding.

No.

5. hawknelson

hawknelson Regular Member

pizza maker
    Gabriyel summed it up

6. 2NDround

2NDround Regular Member

Ahem! I beg to defer. Players who are not fit do not deserve to win. Poor fitness equals lack of preparation, equal insufficient effort! Just my 2 cents worth of opinion:D.

7. Shifty

Shifty Regular Member

Student
    how is the fitter player not better? after all, he is the winner in the end. if the skilled player is better, he should've won in two. and when you say more consistent and skilled, then he should remain consistent even when tired. if not, then he's not really consistent is he? nor is he the better player. after all, the better player is the one who walks off the court with a win.

8. 2NDround

2NDround Regular Member

My thought exactly. If you are not fit, you can’t play:D. NSS is a poor excuse for unfit players:(.

9. xXazn_romeoXx

xXazn_romeoXx Regular Member

North American Technical Director for Oliver Sport
    both the OSS and the NSS has its advantages and disadvantages, but no doubt, you have to be fit and consistant in both systems...just that the NSS forces players to have every serve and shot/lift count, where as, the OSS forces players to be mentally tougher, and still be physically tougher as well...

10. wing-omega5-0

wing-omega5-0 Regular Member

Student(uni)
    after a year, i'm starting to reconsider "OSS forever."

OSS: i think its how azn_romeo puts it. its a game of endurance where the player has to be mentally tougher and physically tougher throughout potentially very long periods of time. the game could very well never end. it tests you to keep your cool and keep on going and is a true measure of who wants it the most.

NSS: you still have to be mentally tougher, you have to make every single shot count because there might not be a second chance. and remember, you have a goal to work towards in this system. to win 21 rallies. for me(and my lack of endurance), its better to have that goal to work towards and count down towards it. eg. 12 more, 11 more, 10more, etc. NSS in my opinion is also a test of who wants it more. Yet its more of a luck thing than with the OSS.

i enjoy playing with NSS better. i like WATCHING OSS on the other hand. i vote NSS

11. Shifty

Shifty Regular Member

Student
    i think it's plenty tough on your mentality if you're 19-20 down and it's Gold Medal point at the Olympic finals, don't you? the New system requires you to be dead steady and unafraid. i think both systems have it's merits, but i think most just don't like to change. but i read somewhere that change is unavoidable, happiness and freedom is found in the flexibility in which we accept this change.

so don't worry which is better or not. after all, it's still the same game basically. and it's a great game. so why not enjoy it as it is?

12. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    What I said was, OSS give you a chance, if you start your game below your expectation. At the end, if you are down, you still have a chance to score a come back, by scoring on your serve, while preventing opponents to score. In NSS, it makes it almost impossible, as you have "0 margin" for errors.

I am not trying to make an excuse or anything, but myself attend some local tournaments and find NSS is a huge dis-advantage for "away" players. Before they finally getting comfortable with the new playing environment, the game is over. Team up with the "0 error margin", they simply lose the game, because they need their time to get their game touch. :cool:

13. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    When playing the NSS, fitness and stamina could not be compensated

Hi Gabriyel,

Not only that players need to play with more intensity, but when they are required to play tough matches, their fitness and stamina could not be compensated.

Just yesterday, 6-September-2007, at the Kedah Open 2007, 3 demanding matches were played.

Yogendran bt Liew Daren
    23-21,13-21,21-14 (70MIN)

Chong Wei Feng bt Lim Kenn
    27-25,7-21,21-13 (65MIN)

Roslin bt Chong Li Qun
    16-21,21-13,23-21 (65MIN)

The thread for the Kedah Open 2007 can be found to be located at:
    http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php?p=653885#post653885

Cheers... chris@ccc

14. Shifty

Shifty Regular Member

Student
    i disagree. one of the main reasons so many people think comebacks are impossible in NSS is because of the "huge margin" thought. i've won games when i was 14-6 down, 8-2 down and many more. for me, i simply told myself 14-6 is NOT a big deficit. i can win it one point at a time. and i did. neither was 4-11 down(it was only to 15). by telling yourself the margin is not big, the margin is not big, it can make it possible.

and i am one of those slow start players. usually, players get at least 3-4 points in front if i'm not warmed up. but i just keep thinking, it's not a big gap. and in the end, it usually isn't a big gap.

15. vincentmok

vincentmok Regular Member

Banker
    if playing with a lot of friends with only 1 court, then NSS coz the game will be faster..

if only 4 players, then OS will still be good..:D:D:D

After playing for quite some time under NSS, nearly forgotten how to count using OS

16. samuel882

samuel882 Regular Member

Tour Leader
    If in a real competition, for example SS/any international tournys. I wud prefer NSS over OSS. It will give fans non-stop actions right frm the beginnings.
    I still playing under OSS on my badminton session twice weekly. I fink if you really wanna exercise to d max & have a good sweat. OSS is most suitable to plays.. We try to play NSS, but everything its too fast. Till we can't find many sweats in the court floor :p

17. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Votes for NSS are reaching 45% as at 8-September-2007

Just checked our poll results... NSS is now at 45%. :)

18. 2NDround

2NDround Regular Member

Sigh! Why people keeping harping on this:( As I have said before many times, if you wait long enough, you will have a 100% vote on NSS. Does this prove anything? The number of people who are familiar with OSS will steadily decline as time goes by. Will people who has no idea what is OSS or has not play it for a long time vote for it?

19. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Hmm..

..still got abt 8 more months (1st poll lasted abt 16 months from Sep. '05 til Jan. '07) to go and need abt 360+ votes (1st poll has 721 votes), to match the first poll's stats;)..Should be interesting, as time moves on..:)

#299 ctjcad, Sep 8, 2007
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2007
  20. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Why are we to take the trouble to start a poll ?

Greetings,

2 points...

(1) Sometimes the latest trends in thinking can lead us to the wrong path.

(2) The notion that the "majority is always right" should not be always true and/or correct.

So why are we take the trouble to even start a poll ? Probably, kwun's intention was for us to discuss it.

Conclusion... It is not for us to say which scoring system is better, but rather to explain/discuss/debate why we prefer a certain scoring system.

Cheers... chris@ccc