Who's up for UofT varsity blues tryout?

Discussion in 'Canada East' started by Wong6BaddyPlaya, Sep 4, 2007.

1. Wong6BaddyPlaya

Wong6BaddyPlaya Regular Member

Baddy player wannabe
    Hey everyone, I'm new to this forum, nice to meet u all =)

I wonder if anyone here is interested in joining University of Toronto's varsity badminton team this year? Does anyone know when and where da tryout gonna take place? I'm just an average player, just wanna try my luck and meet some new people there :D If anyone here is going, may be we can meet there and play a few games together ;)

2. shosan88

shosan88 Regular Member

if you goggle u of t badminton you'll see the general webpage for the team, from there you can find the right contacts. honestly, the league and practices are pretty intense and some take it pretty serious, so if your just looking to make friends and casually play, you might as well join the badminton club. your also looking at 4-5 practices a week, which are mandatory, prob 2-3 hour/practice. good luck with the tryouts and etc

3. fastmiele

fastmiele Regular Member

this may sound bad, but I would forget about the varsity team and just play in the badminton club.

when I was there in 1998 the roster was 90 percent set and only 1-2 spots available for bench/reserve players. I remember talking (approximately April 1998) with a couple of former high school classmates and they were discussing the lineup for the fall season. They were pencilling in two new players, but the thing that bothered me was that they were still in high school. What no trial out ? You are already given a spot and the season hasn't even started. What was even more funny was that when September rolled in, I actually went out for the trial outs with a few friends. We showed up on time and got on the court and started warming out. Ten minutes later, the coach came in and shouted out "Thank you for coming out, but the roster is full". Please try again next year. With no reservations, I never bothered to waste my time again.

4. staples

staples Regular Member

So sad but true. It still happened in 2004. :)

Unless you're a really strong player...the roster has pretty much been finalized right from the start of the season. But they do have decent results ~ 3rd place usually. :)

5. shosan88

shosan88 Regular Member

its unfortunate you guys feel that its a waste of time to try out.....the team is never set, if you stand out and the coach or other players notice how hard you worked during the off season or how hard you play, then you have a good chance of making it. If you go to try out just for the sake of doing something, then it is easily recognizable. If you really wanted to be part of the team and etc, I'm sure the coach may let you train with the team on occasion so that you can have a shot the next year. Only way anyone is going to make a varsity team is if you beat the players already on the team, or stand out. Varsity is completely different than high school play.