A Year Later: Let's vote on the New/Old Scoring System again.

Discussion in 'Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating' started by kwun, Jan 12, 2007.

?

New or Old Scoring System?

1. Old - Service based 3x15 scoring system

1 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. New - Rally based 3x21 scoring system

2 vote(s)
    66.7%
  1. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Hmm, i think..

..it's both: as a poll to see what's the general consensus, at the very least from the BC members, regarding their preference in either scoring system and of course, as you mentioned, to explain/discuss/debate/ abt both scoring system..;)
    I also don't think it was created to tell us which scoring system is better..It definitely doesn't reflect the "true" percentage of what the worldwide badminton community prefers, knowing well us BCers (at least those who voted) are just a small community/percentage of badminton enthusiasts worldwide..;):cool:

#301 ctjcad, Sep 14, 2007
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2007
  2. vlkbad

vlkbad Regular Member

No kidding!!

I hope you will remember this 2 years down the road when the polling numbers for the NSS breaks through the 50% barrier! :)

I don't understand. Who is "us"? I know which system is better (the old one!), so why not say so?

3. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    Hi vlkbad,

I think the NSS will break through the 50% barrier in 2 months down the road, not 2 years.

4. maryanne

maryanne Regular Member

For televised international matches, as long as it is ommercially helping promote badminton, I will go for the NSS

For personal playing though at club level, it is just too fast. Our club still gives OSS as an option for the players, and may continue doing so

5. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    According to Nature Neuroscience, studies have indicated that people who are more open to new ideas are smarter than the more conservative. It has to do with a certain part of the brain. Perhaps this OSS versus NSS debate here says something that may surprise us.

6. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Could the NSS trigger better participation for new comers to Badminton ???

Hi taneepak,

Your post has put a smile on my face. :):):)

But I am no expert in neuroscience.

Just talking with players, I have found one comment in common;
    "They prefer to be in their comfort zone. They said they have been playing the OSS for years, so why should they change".
    And I don't blame them for saying that. :):):)

Talking to clubs organisers, I have found this common comment;
    "They said it's too much trouble to explain and to introduce the NSS to their club members".
    So again, club organisers are also wanting to remain in their comfort zones. :):):)

BTW, I enjoy my Badminton regardless of which scoring system is used. But I am pleased to play the NSS... because it's like a breath of freshness to the sport that I have loved for many years.

However, I think the NSS might trigger better participation, I hope, for new comers to Badminton.

Cheers... chris@ccc

#306 chris-ccc, Sep 18, 2007
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2007
  7. 2wheels04

2wheels04 Regular Member

check "longer" match times for these [squash] matches

On a comparative note, have a dekko at the match times at the Dunlop British Open. Squash is very similar to baddy in my book, and these 9x5 matches average > 68minutes/match and average time per point almost 60 sec and 51 seconds in the quarter-finals in both men's and women's groups respectively. (NB: men play to 11 points and women to 9 in squash, diff of 2 if tied)

Men's QF:
    Amr Shabana (EGY) v Nick Matthew (ENG) 6/11, 11/8, 11/9, 11/7 (69m)
    Gregory Gaultier (FRA) v Peter Barker (ENG) 11/7, 11/8, 11/3 (48m)
    Thierry Lincou (FRA) v Ong Beng Hee (MAS) 11/8, 11/2, 12/10 (60m)
    David Palmer (AUS) v James Willstrop (ENG) 12/10, 6/11, 12/10, 6/11, 11/5 (100m)

Women's QF:
    Nicol David (MAS) v Natalie Grainger (USA) 9/3, 9/3, 7/9, 2/9, 9/0 (58m)
    Tania Bailey (ENG) v Vicky Botwright (ENG) 6/9, 10/8, 9/4, 2/9, 9/0 (80m)
    Rachael Grinham (AUS) v Vanessa Atkinson (NED) 7/9, 9/7, 9/6, 9/0 (75m)
    Natalie Grinham (AUS) v Madeline Perry (IRL) 9/3, 9/6, 9/7 (54m)

These numbers reiterate that rally points does not always shorten the match times at the elite level.

#307 2wheels04, Sep 22, 2007
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2007
  8. ouijaouija

ouijaouija Regular Member

I am surprised that most people prefer the old scoring system.

At first I found the new one odd, but after a while I find it makes a game more exciting, and the shoter games suit my lack of fitness!

But where I am, most clubs still play the old rules, and its a pain in the arse always having to explain the new rules when playing in social sessions

9. Pball

Pball Regular Member

Still prefer the old system after more than a year of playing both. Am still waiting for the new system to grab me and make me like it as most of the players here who prefer the new system says... but no, I still vote for the old... with casting any aspersions anywhere, most of the people who like the new system are the weaker players (at least from what I have seen so far, or those with weaker endurance.) sorry guys just stating what i have observed. I am not a strong player, but do enjoy the challenge.

regards

10. Albert_K

Albert_K Regular Member

Freelance academic
    I prefer the old one. The new one is just good for competition management.

11. Albert_K

Albert_K Regular Member

Freelance academic
    Agree on the old one

Same here. I do agree with you.

12. Hitsugaya

Hitsugaya Regular Member

Student
    Yeah i've played both systems already and i still feel that the old system is better. I mean while i was playing this guy the match was 20-18, if it was the old system i would have won already, but with the new system i just lost all hope of making a come back.

13. kinoko

kinoko Regular Member

new one seems bit too fast for me. im a slow starter so i tend to get behind in the beginning.. but i can play 5-6 hours with 3-4 hours non stop jumping smash.. so yeah OS rocks =)

14. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

20-18@NSS is roughly equivalent to 14-13@OSS

Hi Hitsugaya,

Not clear what you meant in your post. :confused:

Assuming that you meant your opponent was leading 20-18 with the NSS... it is roughly equivalent to 14-13 played with the OSS.

And you shouldn't have lost all hope, even with a score of 20-15 with the NSS. You should have read, in other threads @Badminton Central, that big comebacks can occur with the NSS.

Winning up to 6 points in a row with the NSS is not uncommon.

Cheers... chris@ccc

15. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Roughly 1 game of OSS = 2 games of NSS

Hi kinoko,

Yes how fast and/or how slow a NSS game lasts... will depend on the skill levels of the players.

Roughly, it's 10 minutes a game for lower skilled players, 15 minutes for higher skilled players, and 20 minutes for professional players.

If I were to play non-stop for 5-6 hours, I would be able to play 15-18 games with the OSS, or 30-36 games with the OSS. :):):)

Cheers... chris@ccc

16. kinoko

kinoko Regular Member

it is very common for players in indonesia to play 3-4 hours non stop =) and with all the heat and humidity... if im to play in nz i would last that long.. plus i do have okay stamina i guess. its very common for squad players to train 7 hours a day here. usually 3 hours in morning and 4 hours at night. sometimes more.

i just had a game last sunday that last almost 1.5hr playing mix double. those gals just slightly lower than national players and played to 3rd set with oss. i think if it was nss it would have been half the time rather than kept on exchanging chances to gain a point. but yeah usually a straight set of 15x2 last bout 40-50mins if its a good match.

i find that with nss, its wayyyyy to often one side gaining several points in a row and before the other side able to switch their game plan its over.

17. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Let us call a spade a spade. A comeback that is a common feature of any game is nothing to shout about. If it happens all the time do you still call it a comeback? Comebacks that are true comebacks in the true sense of the word-a great comeback from a hopeless position-are the hallmark of the NSS. Maybe the, oh so common, comebacks of the OSS should be called something else. Now, for the first time, we have what a real comeback should be, in the NSS in every sense of the word. :D

18. 2NDround

2NDround Regular Member

I would rather have a couple of great comeback in each competition than a super one in a year:( If I were to watch NSS, if a player is leading by 6 points or more, I would take a short break and perhaps made myself a snack, because I know the leading player will win. It is that predictable. If the super comeback is to happen, I will probably miss it:D:D:D:(;)

19. jcr2001

jcr2001 Regular Member

Student
    Hey, I've been thinking about this and maybe one day, we can merge both scoring system styles.

Sorry if someone has suggested this before, I can't check the whole thread. Maybe like when one player reaches 19 points, he can only score on his service. In that way, we keep the potential for comebacks.

Of course, that would make it less tiring than the old 15 point system, but we'd see some interesting things like players who like to rush to 21 vs players who would like to play slowly and tire out the opponent or something...

20. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

In almost every competition under the NSS we do see at least one great comeback. The OSS with its rule that the server does not lose a point when losing a rally only downgrades a great comeback to maybe just an ordinary and very common comeback. One can actually create more comebacks by changing the OSS to allow the server to have an additional serve after having lost the rally from the first serve. This will produce even more comebacks in almost every game; meaning there will be no such thing as a comeback anymore.
    The NSS is more competitive, more ruthless and yet fairer (what kind of competitive sport is it if you are denied a point when your opponent, when serving, loses a rally?), more mental, and a real 'gladiator' sport where no quarters are given.