Coaches at odds threaten to upset team’s preparations for Olympics

Discussion in 'Malaysia Professional Players' started by ixory, Sep 27, 2007.

1. ixory

ixory Regular Member

Coaches at odds threaten to upset team’s preparations for Olympics

By RAJES PAUL
    the staronline

KUALA LUMPUR: Trouble is brewing in the national badminton camp among the elite coaches.
    And it is threatening to put the spanner in the works of the players' preparations for the Beijing Olympics in August.
    The National Sports Council (NSC) director general Datuk Zolkples Embong said yesterday that he learnt of this from several recent meetings with players and coaches. But he chose not to go into details.
    [​IMG] To solve the problems, Zolkples said that he would have a discussion with the Badminton Association of Malaysia president, Datuk Nadzmi Mohd Salleh, after the Hari Raya celebrations.
    “I will not go into details on this matter before talking to the BAM president and other officials. I will ask Datuk Nadzmi to attend our next joint committee meeting,” said Zolkples.
    For the Beijing Games, badminton is the NSC's main priority and concern and Zolkples is leaving no stone unturned in the team's preparation.
    There are five coaches in the elite programme. They are chief coach Yap Kim Hock; singles coaches Misbun Sidek and Wong Tat Meng; men's doubles coach Rexy Mainaky; and women's doubles coach Cheah Soon Kit
    Misbun trains Lee Chong Wei and Mohd Hafiz Hashim at the Juara Stadium in Bukit Kiara while Tat Meng has a woman and three men's singles shuttlers under his charge – Wong Mew Choo, Wong Choong Hann, Yeoh Kay Bin and K. Yogendran.
    Besides the men's doubles, Rexy also coaches the mixed doubles players.
    Only shuttlers have won medals for Malaysia since badminton made its debut in the Olympics in Barcelona in 1992 and the target in Beijing is to strike the first gold medal. The best effort thus far was a silver from Soon Kit-Kim Hock in the men's doubles in Atlanta in 1996

2. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

^^Oh, boy..^^

..what's going on now??..:confused::p..
    ants, can you give us any insights??..Is this just a small issue being magnified??..Or a lingering issue which came up recently after the WC??:confused:

#2 ctjcad, Sep 27, 2007
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2007
  3. ixory

ixory Regular Member

Jurulatih BAM jadi batu api

Oleh Ahmad Khawari Isa
    Bharian

Ketua Pengarah MSN akan bangkitkan dalam mesyuarat Jawatankuasa Bersama

IBARAT api dalam sekam, gambaran tenang dijelmakan dalam skuad badminton negara ketika ini tidak lagi dapat menutup 'gelora' yang sebenarnya mengganggu tumpuan jurulatih dan pemain-pemain.

Apa kini terdedah ialah tingkah laku seorang jurulatih yang dikatakan cuba mencipta jurang di antara jurulatih lain serta pemain, selain melakukan beberapa tindakan untuk mengganggu persiapan pemain.

Antara tindakan jurulatih itu ialah bersikap bermuka-muka. Apabila seseorang jurulatih lain bersikap tegas dan mengambil tindakan terhadap pemain, jurulatih itu sebaliknya akan bertindak menyokong pemain berkenaan.

Pernah juga terjadi pada satu kejohanan antarabangsa tahun ini jurulatih itu memberikan arahan sama sekali berbeza daripada aturan strategi jurulatih sebenar pemain.

Malah ketika Kejohanan Badminton Dunia di Stadium Putra, bulan lalu, jurulatih itu juga dikatakan 'bersikap aneh' apabila mendakwa mampu membantu persembahan pemain dengan mengawal kelajuan angin penghawa dingin di gelanggang berkenaan.

Semua perkhabaran dan tingkah laku jurulatih berkenaan yang layak dianggap berpengaruh kerana kepercayaan diberikan Persatuan Badminton Malaysia (BAM) sudahpun sampai ke pengetahuan Ketua Pengarah Majlis Sukan Negara (MSN), Datuk Zolkples Embong.

Zolkples, ketika ditemui semalam, mengakui perkhabaran itu tetapi tidak mahu bersikap terburu-buru, sebaliknya akan membangkitkannya ketika Mesyuarat Jawatankuasa Bersama MSN-BAM, tidak lama lagi.

"Saya akan memanggil mesyuarat bersama dengan BAM dan perkara itu akan dibangkitkan nanti. Daripada apa yang saya ketahui, ada bukti diperolehi mengenai tindakan jurulatih berkenaan.

"Tetapi lebih baik kita siasat terlebih dahulu. Saya juga akan mengadakan pertemuan dengan Datuk Nadzmi (Salleh, Presiden BAM).

"Saya tidak mahu perkara sebegini menjejaskan tumpuan dan persiapan pemain, terutama ketika mereka kini dalam usaha mengumpul mata untuk layak ke Sukan Olimpik di Beijing nanti," katanya.

Pendedahan terbaru itu seharusnya juga menuntut BAM untuk mengkaji semula fungsi sebenar jurulatih berkenaan, tambahan pula selepas mesyuarat jawatankuasa bersama MSN-BAM sebelumnya sudah menegaskan betapa pemain harus hanya patuh kepada jurulatih masing-masing.

Hope anyone can translate this news.:p

4. grEgOr

grEgOr Regular Member

article translated

So here's the translated version of the article...hope it makes sense..:p

The calm facade that has been associated with the current state of Malaysian badminton today can no longer cover-up the „storm“ happening behind the scenes that has affected the concentration of coaches and fellow players.

It has come to light, that a certain coach is trying to create gaps amongst other coaches and players, and doing certain things to disrupt players’ preparation.

Among the actions of this particular Coach: acting “face” (don’t know what it means). When a certain coach reprimands or punishes certain players, this Coach will instead support the players being punished.

There was also an incident during an international tournament this year, where this Coach actually gave totally different instructions as compared to the strategies lined up by the player’s original coaches.

During the World Championships in Stadium Putra last month, the Coach acted strangely when he claimed that he could help players’ performance by controlling the speed of the air-conditioning in that particular court.

All the rumours and attitude of this Coach, whose actions can be considered influential because of the trust being given by BAM, has reached the ears of the Head of National Sports Committee (NSC) Datuk Zolkples Embong.

Zolkples, who was met yesterday, confirmed these rumours but refused to act hastily, preferring instead to bring the matter up during the Joint BAM-NSC Committee Meeting coming soon.

“I will call for a meeting with BAM and I will bring up this matter then. As far as I know, there has been proof of the Coachs’ attitude.”

“But it’s better if we investigate the matter further. I will meet up with Datuk Nadzmi (President of BAM)

“I do not want this matter to affect players’ preparation and concentration, who are trying their best to collect ranking points to qualify for the Beijing Olympics next year” he added.

This latest incident calls for BAM to review once again the true function of this coach, and besides, it has been clearly stated during the last joint-meeting between the NSC and BAM, that players should only listen to their own specific coaches.

5. grEgOr

grEgOr Regular Member

i personally have a hunch that The Coach is the Head Coach himself, Yap Kim Hock...he's the only one influential enough to do all these things...

6. huangkwokhau

huangkwokhau Regular Member

sales & design
    Also on star on line, BAM will review all elite coaches every 6 month..Yap Kim Hock will be the first one to be reviewed....it mentions that YKH's contract will expire after Beijing Olympics....

7. ixory

ixory Regular Member

Badminton: Kim Hock: Zolkples should explain

By : Christopher Raj

NST online
    [​IMG]
    (From left) Rexy Mainaky, Yap Kim Hock and Misbun Sidek.

FOLLOWING a claim by National Sports Council (NSC) director general Datuk Zolkples Embong that national badminton coaches are at loggerheads, chief coach Yap Kim Hock has challenged him to explain.
    [​IMG]Wong Tat Meng (left) and Cheah Soon Kit.
    “As far as I'm concerned, there are no problems. I think Datuk Zolkples should come out and say what these problem are,” said Kim Hock yesterday.

“If there are coaches having problems and they have talked to the NSC Director General, then please mention their names. The public and the media should not be confused over the matter.”

In the panel of Elite coaches are Kim Hock, Rexy Mainaky, Misbun Sidek, Wong Tat Meng and Cheah Soon Kit.

Misbun trains Lee Chong Wei and Mohd Hafiz Hashim (men's singles) at the Juara Stadium in Bukit Kiara, while Tat Meng trains Wong Choong Hann, Yeoh Kay Bin and K. Yogendran (men's singles) and Wong Mew Choo (women's singles).
    Rexy, who coaches Koo Kien Keat-Tan Boon Heong and Choong Tan Fook-Lee Wan Wah (men's doubles) also coaches the mixed doubles. Soon Kit coaches the women's doubles.

Tat Meng, when asked by Timesport about the “coaches at loggerheads issue", said: “I have no problems with anybody. The coaches are always in discussion and of course we speak our mind. But we have be professional and get the job done.”

Zolkples told the Press about the ‘coaches problem’ after meeting Rexy and Chong Wei on Thursday at the NSC office in Bukit Jalil.

It is learnt that BAM is unhappy with the NSC ‘for interfering’ as Rexy and Chong Wei should have been accompanied by a BAM official when they went to the NSC.

Rexy said: “My discussion with Datuk Zolkples was on the progress of Kien Keat-Boon Heong. Besides that, we spoke nothing much. Most importantly, we need to get our work done for the Olympics.

“I will not go into details on this matter before talking to the BAM president and other officials.”

Zolkples said he will ask BAM president Datuk Nadzmi Mohd Salleh to attend their next joint committee meeting.

Zolkples had said on Aug 23 that Kim Hock, as the chief coach, should have total control over his players.

Zolkples was also quoted as saying: “We don't hire the chief coach (of BAM) as it is BAM's decision, I don't know whether he (Kim Hock) was ready (when appointed).”

Nadzmi could not be contacted for comments as he is in Mecca, while it is learnt that Misbun and Chong Wei are in Philippines to promote an isotonic drink.

8. koo_fan

koo_fan Regular Member

Student
    is this a normal situation ?we can argue but in the preparation for Olympic?i dont think it is appropiate.

9. samuel882

samuel882 Regular Member

Tour Leader
    I believe is the time for NSC to steps into this issue.. Looks at YKH.. Being appointed the chief coach for so long, always looks vulnerable while issue a public statements..
    CSK is the main motivator during his partnership with YHK, and now he have to "work under" YKH .. I don't think it is appropriate.. And CSK become very low profile ever since YKH appointment..
    Many Blames the players for continuous poor results.. But without the proper management & administration works, the players sometimes will feel they are out of focus ..
    Players have the skills, fighting spirits, determination to win .. ONLY with the minimum interference from many irrelevant parties...

10. X Ball

X Ball Regular Member

I think the fingers are pointed at YKH. He felt threatened and defended himself by saying that ZOLKPLES EMBONG should xplain and not leave everybody with a 'bad taste in their mouths' by saying something but not telling anything. He has a point.

Clearly, if the press has not reportedly wrongly, there is ill feeling towards YKH.

Zolkples will not bring up this matter if it is not an issue and, especially, to the press. But we are left 'hanging for more information' because he will bring it up only to Nazmi, who is doing his UMRAH.

In the meantime, YKH is left wondering what is happening. It is not a happy moment for him. Are there other coaches involved with this - is there a conspiracy of sort? I am glad I am not a coach.:D;)

11. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Hmm..

..the Olympics is still quite a ways though...If they can somehow figure this out and ride out the wave, and get things back in order, i think they should be fine..
    ..this whole thing could just be a pretty irrelevant matter, perhaps nothing more than a communication problem...And i don't know if the NSC is the "appropriate" body to handle this, but someone or perhaps NSC or BAM need to take control of this, if indeed there's something urgent that needs immediate attention..
    ..yeah, we're waiting for ants to come in here & chime in on this issue...I'm sure ants will have something to share..;):cool:

Off topic-X Ball, i thought you are on your way for your holiday?? :confused:;)

#11 ctjcad, Sep 28, 2007
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2007
  12. Ball X

Ball X Regular Member

dancer for hobby
    i thought so.. he's inconsistent :p

13. X Ball

X Ball Regular Member

About to embark. Packing. It will be a good holiday - looking forward to it.

14. X Ball

X Ball Regular Member

Nosey Nosey........:D:)

15. Ball X

Ball X Regular Member

dancer for hobby
    yahooooo we here will live in peace for a week :p

16. koo_fan

koo_fan Regular Member

Student
    I'll miss X-ball.take care ya..

17. agilan5293

agilan5293 New Member

no
    can i get badminton video because im new to this web site

18. s1nn3r

s1nn3r Regular Member

Qs
    Write report? I doubt our coaches can do it well. All their life they have been holding racquet more than pen. Although, I do agreed a good written programme could help the development of the sport but please don’t waste our coaches time on writing reports.