Effective diet/energy booster before a match???

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by FlowerPower, Oct 5, 2007.

1. FlowerPower

FlowerPower Regular Member

Hi guys;),

I just played in a level doubles tournament tonight and wondered why I felt out of breath after just one game. (I smashed very occasionally & all my smashes were weak even during the warm-up) We won 21-6 but after the second game I was exhausted (21-8). I had some chicken soup and veggies before the match and 3 hours later, was hungry by the time it was our turn to play. Tomorrow night it's going to be a tough fight against the former champions. Any advice on what energy booster I can take in order to recover or give me more stamina? I want to be in the top condition. What would you suggest I take for breakfast, lunch & dinner?

2. wilfredlgf

wilfredlgf Regular Member

Security Engineer
    Chicken and pasta.

Mind you, people who run more than 10km take this.

3. Temasek Green

Temasek Green Regular Member

On top of that you must have enough rest and don't get so stress, relax your mind.

4. AMRaider

AMRaider Regular Member

After physical exertion, plenty of complex carbohydrates (ex. whole wheat bread/pasta) and some lean meat like chicken (no skin) will help you recover for the next day. Since your body functions BEST on carbohydrates, you will want to avoid too much fast/grease. Carbohydrates actually provide about 6% more energy versus fat per molecule of Oxygen used which is why long-distance runners refer to Carbs as the "high-octane" fuel.

On the day of the match, be sure to eat a good breakfast (lots of carbs, some protein, and avoid too much salt/grease). Try not too eat too much and be sure to give your body at least a full 2 hours to digest before playing.

During the match, a sports drink (Powerade, etc) will help keep you hydrated and fueled. Just be sure it is no greater than 8% sugar (grams of sugar/mL liquid x 100 to find %) or it may dehydrate you instead. If it is more than 8% sugar, it couldn't hurt to add some H2O.

Good luck!

5. llpjlau

llpjlau Regular Member

so is that pasta with chicken or are they 2 separate dishes?

6. wilfredlgf

wilfredlgf Regular Member

Security Engineer
    I'm not sure but I'd imagine them being separate dishes. It's the staple diet for most athletes in Britain and some in US before a match, so the chicken's likely to be baked while the pasta served in normal style. If you watch the statistics on football games, many of them run at least 10km per match in the minimum and up to 19km at the maximum.