World Of badminton goes Internet

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by twobeer, Sep 17, 2007.

1. event

event Regular Member

Finally got wob.tv to work. I had to try a dozen things and the one that finally seemed to make a difference was the deletion of internet files and cookies. All the logical stuff like resetting security settings and doing windows updates, installing and removing the latest media player had no effect but the desperation measure did it. Go figure. Oh well, it's good to have a quality viewing option finally. I actually subscribed to cable for the first time in my life just so I could catch some badminton on TV but the 12-month window during which SBS was showing a dubbed World of Badminton and taped non-live tournaments expired about two months later.

I have always liked Gillian Clark's commentary, too, although I like it better when she is able to play off a sidekick. I can't understand Chinese broadcasts. I haven't heard much of SBS's Korean commentary for international events but they often pair Lee Dong-soo or another former player with a career talking head. The commentators for domestic events do a lot of play-by-play narration as if it were a radio broadcast. This may still be valuable for team sports on television, given the slower pace and the desire of spectators to know which player has the ball. It doesn't work as well in badminton with "smeshee-deurope-keuleeuh-ah kang smeshee" all through each rally. Ms. Clark gives a suitably moderated amount of commentary and I find her analysis intelligent.

#41 event, Sep 29, 2007
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2007
  2. BlaZe

BlaZe Regular Member

i used a proxy server to hide my ip address and it worked :).

but now my internet connection is very very slow since it flows through another computer..:mad::mad: If the proxy server is the only solution then i guess it is still not for me:(

3. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    Maybe try to find a faster proxy :p

/Twobeer

4. Hierkommtnils

Hierkommtnils Regular Member

Fin. Controller
    Today my creditcard arrived and now I can use wob.tv :D

I´ve tested it and watched a few games... it´s a very nice service :)

5. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    Definitvely. I will watch the Live Macau Open on Sunday :)

/Twobeer

6. Hierkommtnils

Fin. Controller
    Hmm, do you know at which time (CET - Central European Time) it will be played?

I´m on a trainer seminar from friday to sunday noon.

7. Hierkommtnils

Fin. Controller
    :crying:

I found times on wob.tv, it´s to early for me, I probably come back later.

8. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    6 am GMT.. horror (according to wob.tv).. But I assume they will have it recorded for later viewing if I sleep...

/Twobeer

9. Hierkommtnils

Fin. Controller
    But live is live :( and on-demand is not the same for me.

Maybe I´ll be able to watch the Dutch Open live, the starting time is much better, too. :D

10. Han

Han Regular Member

Engineer
    Anyone know why the link that use to work before and now message out "The service is not available in your region." ? Just subscribed Monday thinking to watch the Macau Open Final and is no longer working, wasting my 3 months subscription fees. Anyone in US facing the same problem? How about those in other countries, is the website working?

11. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Me too..

(well, somewhat different as i didn't pay for the 3 months subscription)..:p
    ..A few days ago, i was still able to see their website, but it's no longer available..And y'day i encountered the same msg, upon clicking the link....Not sure what exactly is the problem, but maybe there is some broadcasting rights that is not available to this part of the region..:confused::(
    Btw, hope you can contaq them soon to find out what happened. Hate to see you have to pay but are not getting what you paid for..:p

12. Han

Han Regular Member

Engineer
    Thanks for your feedback. Before I subscribe I did contact the rep and was told only Super Series is blocked on certain countries including US but all the Gold Series is not blocked. Kind of disappointed not because losing my subscription fees rather how thing didn't work out, luckily we have Chinese channel showing this event on internet ... Come to think of it, how can WOB.TV even survive with such a low subscribers?

13. bdbc74

bdbc74 Regular Member

Im facing the same in germany: subscribed for 3 months last week, 3-4 days all ok then cant open the site at all and got this message too: "The service is not available in your region." But on an other pc i can see the opening side:eek::confused::mad:

14. event

event Regular Member

That's interesting that another PC would work for you. I was viewing on demand stuff for 2 weeks but mine also started giving this crap. I'd contacted support and got much the same message as Han about what wouldn't be viewable.

I'm curious as to whether anyone is able to see anything on wob this week. If I remember correctly from before the entire website became invisible, the U.S. might have been one of the countries(god knows why) where service wasn't available. Korea was said to have some limitations, for which I thought I had clarification. I'm just wondering whether their entire site is down. Otherwise, I don't understand why we wouldn't get the homepage with just blocked access to the live match if indeed broadcast rights were an issue.

15. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    It still works for me.. I watche Chen Jin vs Taufik final in Macau on the Live-part.

/Twobeer

16. Hierkommtnils

Fin. Controller
    I went back from my seminar and want to watch the today´s finals... and now the f***ing service doesn´t work no more. I paid for 3 month, but after 4 days I get these regional message.

Not very professional...

17. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    Yea.. you should complain to them.. I f-king hate DRM !!!

/Twobeer

18. Han

Han Regular Member

Engineer
    I did email about the problem that we are facing but no reply for the last 3 days. I must admit badminton video streaming on internet can be a very good system if it work especially this sport can hardly seen around the world so the potential market is tremendous. Well, technology is there already only the marketing still very inadequate.

19. xXazn_romeoXx

xXazn_romeoXx Regular Member

North American Technical Director for Oliver Sport
    i'm using it too lolz...very good so far...only complaint is that it shows only the final for the macau, and i do hope that it shows more...like round 1 and so on...on cctv5 and those other internet streamers, you can watch round 1 and whatever...although they decide your matches, and cut whenever they want to a different sport ==".....LOL...but wob is great, the quality is better, only, when i first heard about it and decided to check it out....i saw the calender, and was like yoooo 3 monthes and you get all those?! oct-dec?!...NUTS i'm buying it....and then after i bought it and clicked the calender....wtf?! 3-2 events a month? what a rip =="...LOL...anyone else noticed that?.....oh ya, and they still haven't had the badminton school up yet XD...looking forward to that :p

20. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    6-9 live events and a good archive is not to shabby for $25 i think,,

I just wished they'd stay waya from DRM, and regions.. But I guess they would not legally be allowed to stream it otherwise.

Cheers,
    Twobeer