advice on warm up for a league match

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by gingerphil79, Nov 5, 2007.

1. gingerphil79

gingerphil79 Regular Member

Sports massage therapist
    Heres my quiry, this is my first ever league match which is happening on Wednesday nite. Our team has never played in the league before so it is a new experience to most of us.

1 coach has said that in warming up, do clear & drop routine, this shows the other team that u can play well & do all the shots etc with the belief being that this will show the other team that we can play well & hopefully make them a bit nervous.

another coach has said to just do clears, no smashes or drops to try & hide our good shots to catch the other teams out. The belief being that if they know we have a good smash or good drop, they will be more prepared 4 it so that when we do these shots in actual match play, they wil get caught out.

What do you find will work best, which kinda warm up would you do? It has to be remembered that this is our first ever match so the other team has no clue as to how good or bad we r. We r not expecting to do well as these teams have played in the league 4 years & this is our first time, we just want 2 have as much of an advantage as possible

Any further advice or tips is greatly appreciated :D

2. mel_baddie

mel_baddie Regular Member

my advice is to just do your normal warm-ups. nothing fancy. half court singles would be a good warm-up as it prepares you for the actual match.

3. Fengwei

Fengwei Regular Member

I understand your point here, Gingerphil. But as you said yourself, they don't know how you play, so why not just do your usual warming up? Just don't get stressed when the big day is on. Play like you always play, and enjoy it. If you relax during the warming up, the opponents will naturally think you're good and most important: confident of youself. That's the crucial part. If the opponent sees you as a confident and happy player, they will be the ones "stressed"

So just do your regular warming up and have fun. Because then you'll be confident (at least look confident), and smile. Just keep chatting and laughing.

This works for our team during big tournaments. A kind of psychological game. :D

4. xXazn_romeoXx

xXazn_romeoXx Regular Member

North American Technical Director for Oliver Sport
    i agreed with what is said above, just worry about yourself...go through every shot to make sure you'er not having a bad day with it, and you will be fine. don't worry about them watching your secret shots or whatever, because they won't be expecting them anyways if they've never played you...but do go through your standard warm ups; clears, drives, drops, smashes, then anything you would think that you might need to work on...and calm yourself...the game is no different than if you play in your own club/court...you play your game, and everything works great lol..

5. Capnx

Capnx Regular Member

i'd say try to practice all your shots in warm up. make sure you stretch well, warm up your wrist and ankels. hitting clears and smashes will also get rid of some nerves and lets u stay loose, and hitting some drops and nets will give you a good feel around the court about the lighting and your surroundings.

good luck!

6. gingerphil79

Sports massage therapist
    Any advice on nervousness?

Well guys, thanks for the advice, my match starts tonight at 8pm so I have another 8 hours or so to go. I cant wait, its my 1st ever league match.

I will do my usual warm up which is generally clears with a few drops & light smashes. I will make sure i'm well warmed up.

Any advice for nerves? I'm not too bad now but I could get a bit nervous when i'm drivin down there.

I will post the results tomorrow, hopefully with a smile on my face :D

7. Capnx

Capnx Regular Member

try to eat a banana (or just half banana) before the game. it contains enzyms that keeps u full and calms the nerve.
    if you're REALLY nervous, do some pushups before the game to relieve that extra stress :)

8. Kiwiplayer

Kiwiplayer Regular Member

There are many things you can do to warm up for a match, but one of the few things that I would recommend against are exercises such as pushups. The movement itself has no bearing on a game of badminton and there's no point fatiguing your muscles before you even start. Use them sometimes for training, but not for warming up before a match.

Wayne Young

9. stumblingfeet

stumblingfeet Regular Member

The way I like to setup the warm-up is to make the transitions between different warm-up exercises very free-flowing.

Many teams I've seen use a set routine (e.g. drives, then front/back drops, clears, smashes, etc) spending a certain amount of time on each one. The problem is, most likely NO ONE will get the optimum warm-up from that routine. If a player needs to hit more drives, but the team moves on to drops by that point so he just follows them, that player won't be fully confident about his drives.

What I prefer to do is to do some free-form hitting around (usually a lot of drives, for doubles) that smoothly transition into specific shots. This takes an understanding between the two players of what is going on. Each player watches the other and feeds them shots they think each needs. If you have a regular doubles partner, figure out how to do this. The benefits are mostly mental.

10. wun.sun

wun.sun Regular Member

I agree with most of what stumblingfeet said XD.

However, I like a set routine, especially if you are nervous. I like doing clears to warm up the arms, drop front and back, drive, and net shots. Pretend before ever game at your club that it is the league. Warm up the same way.

You get in a pattern, and this allows you to forget your nervousness. After you done you set warm up, you can do the free-form rally thing that stumbling said.

11. stumblingfeet

stumblingfeet Regular Member

Let's make a comparison between the two situations.
    Case A - players agree to hit clears
    Case B - no predetermined activity, just happen to be hitting clears

Let's suppose that all of a sudden, one player throws in a drop shot.

In Case A, most often the other player will just let it drop, reasoning that he/she is not warming up drop returns yet, though the truth is that he/she wasn't mentally prepared to return that shot. There is also a pause in the warm-up; this type of discontinuity can have a negative effect on building up the right mood for playing.

In Case B, the player will either get that drop shot, or miss it. If he gets it, it means he's mentally prepared to handle returning unexpected drop shots. If he misses it, his partner makes note and starts throwing that combination in more often until he starts getting it. In this case there is no pause when switching to front-back, then drives, etc.

12. toddster

toddster Regular Member

Grad. Student PE instructor
    Good advise.

Might I suggest that this post be placed in the training/coaching place.

There are no tricks in badminton. You could look as good as you want in warm up, but the match is the only place is where it counts. Just take care of yourself and then analyze the match afterwards. This is a learning curve you need to take.

If you need a pattern here is what you should do (depending on your level of conditioning):

Jog/Jump rope for 5 min. Stretch (BEFORE YOUR MATCH IS CALLED!!!!)

Once your match is called start with drive shots (neutral, not offensive/defensive), then drops and clears, then full court clears, then half smashes, then smash block clear (you smash, your partner blocks, you clear to allow your partner to smash).

If you are playing singles, tell your opponent what you want to do. Actually, don't rely on your opponent for anything. You should do your shot warm up with a friend before your match is called so that you are ready.

Finally, after your match. YOU SHOULD make a list on what was good and BAD. Try to develop ways to not run into the bad things again. Learn from your experiences.

Share with us what was good and bad, so that other people can learn from your problems.

Toddster

13. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    Footwork raises your temperature and heart rate significantly, not stroke production

Hi gingerphil79,

So how did it go... at your league match held last night?

Hope that you have enjoyed yourself. :):):)

I just found your thread now... so, it's too late to suggest anything for your first match.

However, for your future matches... I would like to mention that your 'warm up' should include a significant increase in your body temperature and in the rate of your heart beat.

Standing at one spot and doing your strokes will help you to tune in into your stroke production. But to raise your body temperature and your heart beat rate, you will need to include footwork movements in your 'warm up'.

It is from your footwork that raises your temperature and heart rate significantly, not the stroke production.

Cheers... chris@ccc

14. Craig

Craig Regular Member

Hollywood Video and hoping to coach
    Just do a normal warm-up as you would usual. Keeping it normal and the same is best rather than always changing it around. I like to just keep it simple at the start with some drives to warm up my shoulder and arm then after that do drop drop clear drill to get the legs warmed up and get a stroke going and than after that just hit around like what stumblingfeet said just to get mentally ready for anything

15. gingerphil79

Sports massage therapist
    We Won 3 - 1

Well guys, i come with a smile on my face. Our team won 3 - 1 which we were not expecting. Unfortunately i lost my first match but my partner was messing up alot & i couldve been a bit more consistant but i played ok & even then we didnt lose too badly. I absolutely played the game of my life in the second match & we won 21 - 7, 21 - 10.

We tried a tactical warm up in respect to just doing clears & some drives, nothing too hard though except for the clears. It seemed to work, our players all have hard smashes & I have a good drop shot & we caught them out a lot in our matches.

That was our 1st ever league match & if we even won a game, we would have been happy, we just didnt know what to expect but it turned out a lot better. We beat them in 3 matches which we won comfortably. I have seen areas in my game i need to improve mainly consistancy.

Thanks for all the advice & keep it coming, my next match is in a weeks time against another team we've never played.

16. toddster

toddster Regular Member

Grad. Student PE instructor
    How is your league set up? How many players are on the team? Is it all doubles?

I am just curious.

Toddster

17. wun.sun

wun.sun Regular Member

This is a really late response.

While true that there is more flow when you are doing free for all warm up, and its allows you to get in a realistic game sense beforehand.

When using a set warm up, it allows you to do two things. One, since its a set warm up, you don't think about how nervous you are, how tired you are...you warm up, and you clear your head. A set warm up allows you to go through all the motions that warm you up. If you go through a free for all warm up, you may miss a couple shots that you need to warm up in.

18. gingerphil79

Sports massage therapist
    Hey Toddster, yes it is a mens doubles league, the both of the leagues I am in. 6 players in team but only needing 4 to play on the night.

1 & 2 play, 3 & 4 play, 1 & 3 play , 2 & 4 play.

We play each team twice, 1 at home & 1 away & there are points for a win = 3?, draw = 1? and 0 for a loss.

Works well, just wished we play more matches as we only get 2 play 2 each which for me is a small amount.:(