Tracking people - IT solution?

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by Cheung, Dec 15, 2007.

1. ksooi

ksooi Regular Member

Entreprenuer
    check out their website to see if there is a solution suitable....i think 1010 office is similar to wht you want but maybe cost could be an issue:D

2. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    I see what you mean about cost. Might need to go for the full unlimited broadband access if browsing on BF:D

Smartone offer cheaper mobile broadband access but you have to pay for the hardware.

None of those case histories quite describes the scenario I presented, especially looking at each others schedule.

#22 Cheung, Dec 16, 2007
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2007
  3. Neil Nicholls

Neil Nicholls Regular Member

How about something like a Google Group
    free webpage that can be maintained by several people
    You just need each person to have a google account

e.g. this one I set up for our badminton club mostly just to track
    fixtures and results
    http://groups.google.com/group/reedswood-badminton-club-uk
    you can edit html directly, or like in those fixtures pages, just edit the result of the html.
    i.e. I created a table in html, but when I edit the page I can just type directly in the cells

Maybe you could set up a page with a table of time-slots by people

Maybe also look at Google Calendar and Google Docs

4. nickread1

nickread1 Regular Member

Student/Network test engineer
    I'd agree with the last comment. Google is your friend!
    If you still haven't come to an arrangement, Mobile Google Calendar, as far as I can tell, would quite possibly be a great solution.

Assuming you can access at least a GPRS connection, which should be fine in HK, (3G is faster of course but the Google Cal app is very bandwidth light!) then you should be able to view the group calendar from anywhere, quickly, from a mobile or PDA.
    I use this quite a lot on my phone.

Set up is all free. Each member can set up a google account, and then add their daily schedules to their Google Calendars which is a very, very easy tool to use!

Once each member has their calendar set up you can subscribe to each others calendars from within your calendar, so member 1 can add member 2, 3, and 4's schedules to his calendar (very simply done) , and so he will automatically receive the schedules of each other member on his calendar as soon as those members update their calendars.

Schedules can be added to the calendar from home using a computer or also using the mobile device.

This of course can then all be viewed on the mobile device.
    So, when you access your Google calendar through your mobile, you will see your schedule, plus the schedule of your group members, with times, places, even maps if you want!

Backups are unnecessary as it's stored on the Google servers, nobody has to collate the information for everyone, nobody has to program a system!! and no expensive equipment is needed. It's all automatically synchronised and ready to go.

I've also noticed that there is a mobile notification setting, so you can set your calendar up so that you are automatically sent a txt, a specified time before each event on the calendar happens. This could be used if you know you wont have Internet access in a certain place for example.

So, if you haven't yet set something up, this might well be the solution your looking for. The only cost is that of access to the internet through the devices which shouldn't be expensive anyway as the mobile calendar only consists of text, no heavy downloading!

HTH!

Nick

5. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Been so busy recently that haven't progressed much further. A free solution sounds good! This sounds really promising. Thanks!