Ashaway vs Yonex strings

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by Sgbad, Sep 27, 2007.

1. azabaz_ipoh

azabaz_ipoh Regular Member

is second to badminton
    really? i must try then high tension on my racket. the aunties that play with me are better than me and they always say i have good power since i can hit baseline shots a lot more than some. but i dont string my own racket and i am not sure if my stringer does the stringing the way you said it is supposed to be done, but he does do two piece stringing. i dont have my racket with me now but i think i will take a picture of my yonex ISO 75 MFLT strung with yonex BG 66 at 23lbs tomorrow and post it here and hopefully you can tell me if he is a good stringer. the racket that i intend to string with the ashaway string is a Yonex carbonex 8000 (which is an oval compared to the ISO which is isometric). i think i want to try 25(main)/27.5(cross) if only to eliminate the possibility that it is suitable for me. you are right, nothing ventured, nothing gained.

#81 azabaz_ipoh, Dec 10, 2007
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2007
  2. awatz

awatz Regular Member

i just had my racket restrung with ML (non XL) at 29 lbs. but the ml package says its tension is only up to 25 lbs. my stringer felt uneasy in stringing my racket cause i went over the recommended limit for the string. did i buy a fake string?

3. jerby

jerby Regular Member

Okay, I'm not going in to yet another debate about this, I'll just say that in the last 10 posts certain topics of discussion have been presented as facts, though much controversy arises:

-stringing over 25lbs is not best for everybody, I know quite a few who don't like it

-stringing in a one piece, of a two-piece bottum up will not ruin your racket. Search the forums, It's been discussed to death

-pre-stringing may shorten the lifespan of the strings, but your stringjob wil feel better for a longer period of time, it'll stay tighter longer.
    Also, Taneepak is the only forum member stating pre-stretching will take away the strings "native elasticity".

Now, like I said, I'm not going to debate about these topics, I'm not going to say I'm right and Taneepak is wrong. I'm just saying these things aren't exactly accepted as facts by the community here ;)

4. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    a minor touch-up :D

5. Ah_Shum

Ah_Shum Regular Member

Turbo Stringer
    i think lot of u guys need to try the NBG98 as a comparison first..the feel is just uncomparable to ashaway strings..=)

Akemira likes this.
  6. usa7799

usa7799 New Member

BIZ
    as for tennis, we can see each string's ranking produced by string forum or USRASA(US Racket String Association).

how can i see badminton string ranking data? if you know, please inform me to usa7799@hanmail.net. thank you.

7. XtC-604

XtC-604 Regular Member

Store Manager
    In my personal opinion, though i have not tried any other brand string besides yonex and gosen...i do feel that all Yonex is still vastly superior. And when you say "effortless clears" aren't they always with any string?

8. bic33

bic33 Regular Member

i believe you've got to try some ashaways... :D

9. jerby

jerby Regular Member

superior to what?:p

10. Sgbad

Sgbad Regular Member

bumming around
    Is micropower a soft string or stiff string? when playing, it doesnt seem to be a soft string to me.

11. Temasek Green

Temasek Green Regular Member

Latest updatet,the Ashaway MicroPower Plain White .66mm gave better power than the others color.The plain white is the newest color added in micropower .66mm.The sound (punk) is awesome too than the others color,try it.

12. jerby

jerby Regular Member

Well, I just tried ashaway nanogut XL..and darn that is one stiff string (Silentheart, no;))
    It's still a 0.73mm, so not really the best feeling (I like my bg80 better) and repulsion. But the grip is good, and it holds tension well, plus, when you do crack off a good smash it really does BOOM.

I recommend NG-Xl to powerplayers and high-tension-freaks, but not so much to the people used the the feel and repulsion of 0.66-0.68 strings

13. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

I will not make any smart @ss comment.
    I totally agree with you on the NGXL. It is a good string, It is just not a soft string for my liking.

14. Sgbad

Sgbad Regular Member

bumming around
    The plain white doesnt seem .66 gauge to me

15. jerby

jerby Regular Member

Nothing? Nothing about stiff strings? wow, such self-control ;):D

But you did try the 0.69?
    it's much better isn't it?
    With some very rough guesses/daydreaming, I can imagine it being a lot like bg80:rolleyes:.

Now that I look at it, the NG's are both 0.69 and 0.73, just like Microlegend...Is ML going out of their line-up?

16. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

If you ask me to.

I did try out the 0.69. It plays like mix of BG85 and BG80 with better than BG80 durability. A little stiffer than BG80.

I do not know any thing about Ashaway's plan. I was just lucky that a set of string dropped in my mail box. Email the dinky panda for more info.

17. jerby

jerby Regular Member

yeah, right, Dinky it is ;)

Thanks for the info, all I needed was a ballpark guess :p
    I'll just empty my bg80 before I start my ML...
    NG.69 is first on my list after that (though I'll probably last a whole season on my ML)

18. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    ML 0.69 mm pops very fast. I strung the Woven 7 with ML 0.69 mm to 30 lbs X 33 lbs. The string job survived 30 minutes after leaving the stringing machine :mad:.

19. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    u should stop working out now...

20. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    No, I didn't use it at all. I was stringing another racquet when the ML just popped!!! :eek: