Badminton pics, what camera should i bring?

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by kwun, Mar 6, 2003.

1. bigredlemon

bigredlemon Regular Member

LOL... kwun would have to secretly reach his hands down there every few minutes and fumble around a bit!:p Hope he doesn't get arrested!

I'm sure they'd confiscate him camera anyway. I heard stories about bouncers remove the roll of film in places where cameras are banned, so kwun could end up losing all his vacation photos on that roll! And in any case, a camera with adequate zoom is not going to fit in his pants unless he gets dressed up like MC Hammer.:D

2. Shabok

Shabok Regular Member

Hi kwun,

You will need an SLR, because when shooting indoor sports you usually need ISO speeds of 800 or 1600 (flash is usually forbidden) in order to have shutter speeds faster than 1/250th. Digicams don't have such high sensitivities (well, most of them), and don't have an autofocus system that can track moving subjects.

Depending on where you will stand (do you have an accreditation ?), you will need focal lengths from 85mm to 300mm (50mm if you can get real close), and apertures faster than or equal to f/2.8. You could try renting some nice lenses at your local shop...

Buy good "professional" ISO800 (or 1600, depending on the available lighting and your lenses) film with relatively fine grain and nice color saturation.

Shabok

3. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    Shabok,

accreditation : should i get it? i think the deadline is passed but probably can try if it is worth trying. that way i can get some good pictures to post here.

what other priviledge can i get from accreditation?

do you think i will be able to get it?

however, i also want to be able to sit back and enjoy the tourney.

4. Shabok

Shabok Regular Member

You should get it if you don't have a 200/2.8 or 300/2.8...

You don't have to pay the entrance fee, and you can go almost wherever you want (which is also useful if you don't shoot).

It depends on the organizers... Tell them you are working for badmintoncentral.com...

I see what you mean. When you are shooting you can't enjoy the match as a spectator... That's why I only shot the ladies double finals... I watched the other finals.

5. patrickshum

patrickshum Regular Member

Network Planner
    kwun, just out of interest, which digital camera do you have?
    i have the canon s230, the 640x480 videos that i took for badminton is very nice.... its also very small.... too bad the max time for a movie is only 30 second... and the file sizes are pretty big....

6. gumbi001

gumbi001 Regular Member

student
    whoa Khun..ur so lucky to get to go watch the Sudirman Cup..cheer for peter gade for me yeah? hehe..remember to post some pictures online and share the excitement!..how about some videos too? BTW, do anyone know where I can purchase badminton videos for a cheaper or fair price.
    Thanks

Gumbi