Badminton Forum Open Tournament

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by jwu, Oct 7, 2002.

1. Virocon

Virocon Regular Member

Wow, this sounds all too good. Let's have it down here in Los Angeles. The biggest US badminton community is sitting right here in So. Cal so might as well have the West Coast one in LA!

Jason

2. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    lol.... thnx for digging out this old thread...

Even though, no real action (as far as I know) been really applied yet, however, surely will be a goal that everyone here will work on.

3. bigredlemon

bigredlemon Regular Member

I'm not sure if we can pull together enough $$ to rent courts given our small number of people... anything think this tourney is still feasible? I'm sure it'll be worth it if we can pull it off... isn't this how many of the famous tournaments started--with a group of people wanting to play?

4. Virocon

Virocon Regular Member

If we seriously do want to make this tournament happen, what is the relative idea of how it will be set up?
    Do we have different regions (i.e. US states and Canadian provinces) hold tourneys and then have the winners of those move on to a larger region (i.e. US West Coast, Mountain area, Central area, and East Coast will have one tourney and Canada West, Middle, and East will have another tourney) and then finally country versus country?

I only used US and Canada (as much of the country divisions as I know of) as examples but, always, the more countries/areas the merrier.

As for money, hopefully there's someone in the forums who is or know some people who are capable of helping us out. Any badminton sponsors out there? Yonex, you there?

Jason

5. gumbi001

gumbi001 Regular Member

student
    Yeah!!! We should definitely have it somewhere in So.Cal, wonderful atmosphere for the badminton playing community i would say...it'd be great if this happened then i can meet all you badminton fanatics out there.

6. Joseph

Joseph Regular Member

why not in the bay area? :p I'm sure we can find a gym where there's about 8-12 courts available for rent.

7. zero

zero Regular Member

Student
    Hey, why don't poeple in the same region just join some Open tournament and pretend it's an BadmintonForum Open tournament?...haha

8. gumbi001

gumbi001 Regular Member

student
    hey joseph! i wouldn't mind going to the bay area..do u guys plan to play at the upcoming Golden Bear tournament? Did u guys hear any news about it? and what about the David open? and are any of you guys planning to attend the Collegiate Nationals tournament that will be held at UCSD (any enrolled college undergraduate can play!):cool:

9. gumbi001

gumbi001 Regular Member

student
    Hey RedDog, do u know when GoldenBear is? I heard it will be held April 12-13, can you confirm it?

10. RedDog

RedDog Regular Member

Graphic Designer
    hum...sorry, I have not heard anything about the golden bear this year yet. But I know there's the National Collegiate in UCSD on April 18-20 and there's the Spring Davis Open on April 26-27. Are you planning to go in any of those?

11. gumbi001

gumbi001 Regular Member

student
    yEAH, i'm planning to go to the collegiate nationals and i'm gonna try to go to the davis one since i've never been..do u play for any schools now?

12. RedDog

RedDog Regular Member

Graphic Designer
    I sometimes train with the UCSD team, however, I don't play for the school. I am on the board for the national collegiate, but not playing in it, 'cause you kinda have to be an university undergrad to play in it. So I just help planning and running it. I guess I will see you at the national in UCSD before I see you in Davis.
    PS. Got your PM too, but a little busy right now, I'll reply you later, ok? ;)

13. RedDog

RedDog Regular Member

Graphic Designer
  14. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer

Remind me about the good old time... getting aged, cough *** cough *** cough ***

;)

15. Reddragon

Reddragon Regular Member

Student
    Have it in San Diego

I will travel all da way from ASIA to play in dis badminton central open... so letz have it in san diego... koo??????? derez a good place to have it in san diego... 15 courts indoor

16. Traum

Traum Regular Member

You know, depending on how many people we have in Vancouver, we can probably just pick a quiet evening and invade, say, ClearOne for the tournament. Drop-in is only $6, and it goes from 7:30pm to 10pm on weeknights, and 8:00pm to 11pm on the weekends. Even if we factor in the cost of the shuttles, it shouldn't be that expensive.

If the Vancouver folks are seriously interested, I can volunteer to be the local coordinator/organizer for the tournament. As the West Coast distributor for Pointfore Canada, I can probably provide some prizes at cost as well (Ok, let's hope Pointfore.Ca wouldn't be reading this... :D). But of course, having prizes would mean the registration cost would have to be bumped up.

-Rick

17. Pointfore.Ca

Pointfore.Ca Regular Member

Equipment Reseller
    Cough cough... :D

Hey Traum, how about you fly me in from Toronto and I'll play in the tournament and help you organize it, just like the good ol' days? ;)

18. Bunni

Bunni Regular Member

High School Student
    Wow, all these tournament ideas sound awesome. It sure must be a lot of organizing and planning!
    Maybe if there were enough people interested, Ottawa could have its own tourny too.. ;) Would there be a junior category as well? :p

19. chihong

chihong Regular Member

Re: Sounds like it's time for....

Coool idea.. badminton tournament in Van with friends from this forum sounds like a good idea..

I am definitedly interested in it :)

#79 chihong, Jul 18, 2003
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2003
  20. jwu

jwu Regular Member

Medical Research
    without a doubt the interest for such a badmintonforum.com tournament is high but well, it's a lot of work to organize such an event and i guess that's the reason why nothing really has been done about it since most of us have work and school to worry about besides badminton. :D maybe a tournament is too big of a thing to organize but thru this site, i've already met many other badminton fanatics around this regions and managed to play a few games with most of them.