Penalty for Lin Dan

Discussion in 'Korea Open 2008' started by kwun, Jan 30, 2008.

?

penalty for Lin Dan

1. no penalty

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. small fine - (< US$1000)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. large fine - (> US$1000)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. suspension for 1 SS

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. suspension for 2 SS

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Large Fine &Suspension

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stork

stork Regular Member

-
    The first post from Canada i can fully agree with.

2. nibaxiang

nibaxiang Regular Member

@Muddy_Elephant
    Interesting comments, indeed. In reality, canadians live in a much wider spectrum than we may think, which is a good thing. :)

3. TedFong

TedFong New Member

Student
    asdasdasd

100% agree, a simple apology would make a big diffrence

4. Konnichiwa

Konnichiwa Regular Member

Studente
    When someone shows no remorse they are basically saying "If the same situation arises again, I'll do the same thing I did before. I did nothing wrong before so why should I change?". And that is why the punishment should be hard.

wtf.... hes not saying that all.... its amazing the words that can be put in someones mouth .... why should lin dan be suspended and li mao walk away with nothing?

5. Dreamzz

Dreamzz Regular Member

i'm voting for a 1 match suspension, i don't think suspending him for the OG is realistic. first warning, next time it'll be a big one.

6. bananakid

bananakid Regular Member

business owner
    First of all, I always find it amazing how when some controversial situations occurred, a brand new member will pop out from nowhere with plenty of knowledge about every aspect of international badminton like they have been around this forum for years... always a coincident...:rolleyes: + they always have plenty to say. If I were to play detective, I would probably be able to find out your usual login name.. I just don't have the time to do so.

Secondly, the high-lighted is nothing more than your assumption, and if you were a lawyer, the judge will definitely not listen to your own assumption and basically tell the jury to forget what you just said.:eek:

7. Dreamzz

Dreamzz Regular Member

i'm not convinced that the punishment (if there is to be any) should be affected by whether the player shows any remorse after the incident. it should really only be dictated by the action committed by the player at that time.

8. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

1) Taufik dont earn ranking pts for that tourney, HK Open 2006
    2) Lost prize $$$ for HK Open 2006, although it was only QF, SS distribution is from rd 1
    3) Fine, dunno how much
    4) Suspension of 1 SS.

1) & 2) was announced by Displinary Board. It's in HK 2006 threads & LD blog thread.
    So, LD's actions was more serious, sanctions should be stiffer.

#28 eaglehelang, Jan 30, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2008
  9. huangkwokhau

huangkwokhau Regular Member

sales & design
    Well...in this case.. TH could not be punished...Chinese referee who provoked TH was WALK FREE.....TH, calmly walked out, no argument.....referee said to TH" if you do not like the decision, dont play"..thats show you how qualified Chinese referee said that to players:cool:.....imagine any referees said that to any chinese players like LD..:rolleyes::rolleyes::confused::confused:

10. morphy

morphy Regular Member

You don't need someone to actually say something to confirm your impressions about them. If someone acted inconsiderate or stupidly do you need to hear them say " I am stupid " or " I am inconsiderate "? Most likely they won't unless they know they did something stupid or did something inconsiderate in the first place. Same principle applies here. A person's action speaks to others about his character. Likewise can be said by not doing something. The act of doing nothing is still an act. True he never uttered those words...but in my opinion that's the picture he is potraying of himself. I just happen to paint that picture in the form of words so it could be understood. It's also known as an opinion, you do know what an opinion is I hope. and I don't expect everyone to agree with it.

Feel free to disagree, after all that's what makes for an open discussion, unlike the one person yesterday who thinks all such threads be closed just because the opnions don't agree with his. It would be really boring if everyone agreed with everyone, there'd be nothing else to discuss but the weather and right here it's nothing but frigid cold ;). So if you think I'm putting 'words' in his mouth, I'm guilty as charged. ;)

Also I never said LD should go scott free. I said LM's role is a separate matter entirely. If you looked at my previous posts on this subject, I was not giving LM a free pass. Yes he played a role ( the extent to which is open to debate ) but ultimately LD is 100% responsible for his own actions, not LM , not the linesperson or anyone but himself. No matter how provoked he was, he had a choice to make - keep his cool or lose it and throw his racket. He chose the latter. Alot of us have felt pressure in one way or another, in work, school at home...and sometimes feel like just losing it. We may think about doing something stupid but we just think about it and that's as far as we go. Problems come when we don't, like in LD's case he wsn't thinking about where he was, what the consequences were, he let his anger get the better of him and lost control. And then when he has time to think about what he did, he was still not repentant. That's pretty damning imo.

As for LM if he acted inaccordingly then he should be dealt with also. Even if LD didn't throw his racket and completely ignored LM, if LM got off his chair and gestured at LD or said anything to LD and/or try to influence the umpire that is also wrong and he should be disciplined. You can't have coaches start doing that or it could be total anarchy at every courtside in every tournament. There has to be rules and standards and everyone must abide by it.

As for not taking into account a person's remorse or lack thereof, you can also make a valid argument for that. I'm stating my opinion on it and its no more or less valid than anyone else's. But its not uncommon idea - there are judicial systems that actually take that into account when determining the sentence in a sentencing trial.

btw bananakid: the conspiracy theory is quite interesting I must say. And we all love conspiracies!

#30 morphy, Jan 30, 2008
  11. vching

vching Regular Member

Student
    large fine and suspension. Heavy penalties deter further wrongdoings.

12. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    There is also no BWF law that says you can't throw a knife at someone.

It's possible that there is some vague article somewhere about bringing the game into disrepute.

My vote is to ban LD for 1 SS. LM should not get off scott-free either, but his punishment should definitely be less severe than LD's.

#32 hcyong, Jan 30, 2008
  13. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    that's right, maybe why TH got off with nothing here too:D

"After beating Malaysian Yeoh Kay Bin to scrape through to the semi-finals, the irate Indonesian gestured angrily at a line judge and waved his racket in the umpire's face before reluctantly shaking his hand and marching off the court.
    Moments later, when he returned to the courts to calm down, a shirtless Taufik began remonstrating with worried-looking volunteers and officials before security guards surrounded him and told him to leave."

14. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    Your tactics are obvious. You are distracting people from what LD did by keeping the finger firmly pointed at others (LM and TH).

Well, there are lots of guilty people around, and LD definitely belongs in that group. But his one act of hurling his racket at his opponent makes him more guilty than others.

15. taufik-ist

taufik-ist Regular Member

it administrator
    you have voted for "no penalty" :D :D :D

#35 taufik-ist, Jan 30, 2008
  16. victory

victory Regular Member

Large fine & suspension!

17. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    did i said LD's action is right??

i was only presenting historical facts and let people weigh in the facts.
    As for BWF executives, they should make judgement base on past precedents since these infractions are not in the by-laws, and to be consistent relative to past rultings. Any good juridical system do that in difficult cases, they look at past cases to guide them for a final and balanced ruling. Are these lawyers and judges making distraction of the case at hand too?

I think this is also a good time for the BWF to add in new by-laws relating to improper conducts in the public tournaments.

#37 cooler, Jan 30, 2008
  18. super__gao

super__gao Regular Member

in the words of the great bart simpson, Chill out dude.
    i don't think he's ever had the thought of distracting people from what LD did. and plus, you don't even have to read what he says if they don't want to. just ignore it. i know i sure do..... all the time hahahahhahah j/k

19. super__gao

super__gao Regular Member

if that sounded like i ignore "cooler"'s opinion, i don't. i like your opinion :D

20. azabaz_ipoh

azabaz_ipoh Regular Member

is second to badminton
    i agree. :)

Both LD and LM should be penalize. in fact i think even the linesperson should be penalize for playing a part in the whole fiasco.

sad that this kind of things happen in badminton but walking away is a better way of showing your protest than throwing racket violently and acting aggressive with a racket in your hand. TH was penalized for that action which i think he knew would happen and thus LD should not be surprised if he was penalize too for his actions.

again, i agree. :D

a lot of people are kind of protecting and making excuses for LD because they think he was provoked into it. nobody here are putting the blame on LD only. they also blame LM and the linesperson. but LD threw a racket! he threw a racket at a group of people. he could hurt someone.

TH was penalize for what he did. other players have been penalized before for a myriad of misconducts before. and what LD did was one of the top ones for the violent way he acted.

my vote? large fine and suspensions of at least 2 SS for LD. and the same goes for LM. large fine and he could not attend any of his charges matches for 1 or 2 SS. and the korean organizer should also be given a large fine for letting a bias linesperson do that in the finals. and Korean open suspended for one year. this will deter all party from repeating this offense. ;)

#40 azabaz_ipoh, Jan 30, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.