LD's blog post

Discussion in 'Korea Open 2008' started by zqloy, Jan 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. super__gao

super__gao Regular Member

then why are you even bringing up England and Denmark??!?!?!? :confused:

get kwun to ban me from this forum!?? i don't believe that i've done anything wrong. this is a public forum, i'm allowed to voice my own opinion. and if kwun/the mods really think what i'm saying is horrible, they just need to ask and i'll delete my account.

2. super__gao

it happened a few times like 20 years ago. it doesn't usually happen today, but players have had fights with fans. most of the time, the fan initiates it, and then gets a good pounding. usually fans most fans aren't dumb enough to fight a huge hockey player fully padded. i'm sure you can youtube this. but normally, the panes of glass are high enough that fan nor player can come into contact with each other.
    as for the coaches, again, i'm sure that no coach in the NHL is stupid enough to fight a 6'2 215lb fully padded 30 year old. like, coaches will yell at each other like no tomorrow, but again there's a good distance between where the coaches sit.

and as for punishment, if and only if the player were to be punished, it's usually a suspension of some sort or a fine of some sort.
    even then, i dont think a player is worried about getting fined, the lowest amount an NHL player can be paid is 500000USD a year, which is probably more than any badminton player will make in their life :eek:

3. badMania

badMania Regular Member

Err...u can't compare badminton with ice hockey :cool: And u said too...it happened only 2 decades back.

The point is: no matter what Li Mao had uttered to Lin Dan, Li Dan HAD NO REASON to hurl him with a racket! If we can't agree on this point, then, it's pointless to debate actually.

4. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    The point is if they take their aggression outside the rink, they still get punished, right?

5. badMania

badMania Regular Member

Err...that racket could have hit someone! If it did hit someone, I think Lin Dan surely would be guilty of violent misconduct. Any lawyer here can probably chip in and comment? I believe in Singapore (and perhaps Malaysia), Lin Dan would still be liable :rolleyes:

No matter whether its intentional or not...Lin Dan did hurl it in Li Mao's direction :cool: If he just banged his racket to the floor, then I would say its a natural reaction. But, in this case, he hurled it with full power, with an angry face :eek: What can justify such an action? Violence is NEVER RIGHT!

6. super__gao

of course lin dan should be punished!!!! i've always said that lin dan should be punished! it just kind of irritates me that lots of people are blaming lin dan and nobody else.
    i truly believe that this incident could have been avoided if Li Mao didn't get out of his seat and taunt Lin Dan. i really do. if Li Mao didn't say/do anything to provoke Lin Dan, then lin dan has no reason to thrown his racket and this would have never happened.

7. super__gao

i whole heartily agree with you EXCEPT that the racket never hit Li Mao!!!

8. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    Well then, we've always agreed with each other. This argument between us could have been avoided if I understood you in the first place.

9. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    If I tried to murder someone but failed to do so, was I innocent?

10. super__gao

i was about to say YES!!

but then you said this.
    murder is totally different from a throwing a racket at someone. and for all we know we don't even know if lin dan even wanted to hit Li Mao.

11. badMania

badMania Regular Member

Still guilty as charged :D

Again back to Li Mao's taunts, if what he merely said was just "look, so far all the calls were given to u....xxxxxxx", then, I don't think it's reasonable for Lin Dan to hurl the racket at him :rolleyes: And, Li Mao wasn't over the line (as ye333 pointed out in many of his posts too) in anything. He was pretty concerned with the outcome of that call too :cool:

12. super__gao

by the look at li mao hand movements and his facial expression and how lin dan reacted, do you really think that's all li mao said? can you honestly say that's all he said!?!?

13. badMania

badMania Regular Member

Li Mao mentioned abt it in his interview and so far, nothing malicious came out was mentioned in Lin Dan's interview as well except for those words :cool: I don't think there any "F" or "S" words or any cursing from Li Mao's part? Correct me if I am wrong.

If Lin Dan himself thought that those were the only words Li Mao uttered (Note: as mentioned by others, he could probably heard only a portion of those words given the commotion surrounding him), will it justify such a reaction?

Even if Li Mao INDEED utterred those words, do u think Lin Dan's actions were justified??? Still NO!!!

#273 badMania, Jan 30, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2008
  14. ye333

ye333 Regular Member

Check the video dude. And see how quickly LD turned from normal to berserk. At most 3 seconds I would say. Now try yourself how many sentences you can squeeze into that 3 seconds and still make it understandable in a very noisy environment.

That particular sentence is from LD's interview. And according to some early reports LD clearly said LM didn't attack him personally.

15. badMania

badMania Regular Member

Yup....well-said. Its amazing really how some ppl still can defend Lin Dan at this stage :eek: The discussions at chinabadminton.com were even more heated, bordering to almost chaos :eek: Luckily, I am just a reader there :D

16. ye333

ye333 Regular Member

By the way, I don't think LM's facial expression or movements before the "racket-throwing" has been caught in any of the videos. All his actions we saw so far are after LD threw the racket. Of course he should be mad after LD's action -- a junior intended to hit a senior. LM must feel very "losing face". :cool:

17. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    Haha, that's actually funny.

What I meant is that the swinging a knife to kill someone is also a crime, same as murder, but to a lesser degree.

So, throwing a racket to hurt someone is also bad, although not as bad as actually hurting someone.

#277 hcyong, Jan 30, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2008
  18. ye333

ye333 Regular Member

You are wise staying outside of that chaos. :D

19. super__gao

obviously both parties are going to make the situation look better for themselves. when i'm mad i frequently yell out profanities without knowing it lol. and if someone asks me later what had happened, of course i'm going to leave out all the swearing and stuff. so of course, li mao is going to make himself look pretty ditto for lin dan and his coach.

you need to remember that lin dan is a pro. he is taught how to be mentally strong and how to block out unwanted voices. and from previous matches many would say that lin dan is mentally strong, more so than most other players. so for LD to all of a sudden go totally crazy, throw a racket and almost start a fight.... something must have given. something must have totally just sparked lin dan. maybe it was all the bad line calls added up with the taunting from li man, we'll never know, but something must have triggered him.

20. badMania

badMania Regular Member

I counted...it takes me at least 3 seconds to voice out those words. How Lin Dan could hear those words in such a chaotic situation is really unbelievable.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.