Penalty for Lin Dan

Discussion in 'Korea Open 2008' started by kwun, Jan 30, 2008.

?

penalty for Lin Dan

1. no penalty

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. small fine - (< US$1000)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. large fine - (> US$1000)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. suspension for 1 SS

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. suspension for 2 SS

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Large Fine &Suspension

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    hey, you can ignore my post, too, you know.

2. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    At least you think LD's action does not warrant any punishment. In most countries, throwing a projectile at someone (ie. with a purpose to injure) warrants an appearance in state court.

TH got some punishment for walking out. Why should LD get off scott-free? LM should also get some punishment, but that's not what this thread is about.

3. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

It was after the match was over Cooler. It was also in the malay newspapers. And Taufik didnt throw anything at any human.
    If match was still on, some umpires who are more strict would have given red card.

The precedent that have been compared is Taufik's punishment for walking out of HK Open 2006 -Taufik just pack up his bag, shake hands & left.
    The list of sanctions has already been posted in this thread. If BWF dont punish or gives out penalty less than Taufik's, it would be seen as inconsistent.

#43 eaglehelang, Jan 30, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2008
  4. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    why would an improper conduct is less 'threatening' after the match than during the match? In TH's case, it was directed at an umpire and line judge!!!!

5. Hitman71

Hitman71 Regular Member

The umpire should said " If you don't like it, don't play " to LD. Then LD will just walk away . No racket throwing, no shoving, shouting etc etc.... Right ? hehehehe

And I won't have to vote for large fine and suspension ...

6. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    It's equally threatening whether before, during or after the match. It is equally threatening whether it is directed at official, linejudge, player or anyone else. But it is more threatening if you actually throw your racquet at your target.

7. super__gao

super__gao Regular Member

you need to remember this is china we're talking about. Lin Dan is a freaking superstar over there. you know who liu xiang is? he won 1 gold medal in 2004 for track and now he's set for life. all of a sudden he's in movies, he sings, he's filthy rich, his face is everywhere too!!
    Lin dan is not quite the level as this guy but he's pretty close. do you really think that the chinese government will throw lin dan in jail for almost hitting someone with a racket?!?!?!? PLEASE!! they will do lots of stuff to make him look good.
    i'm not going to say if this is right or wrong, but trust me, Lin dan is not going to get in trouble in china. if anything, he'll be applauded by some for making Li Mao blow up on national tv. (hahah not something i condone)

8. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    If LD were to get in trouble with the law, it would be Korean law. The whole incident occured in the Korean Open, remember?

9. eaglehelang

To me, it would be like "after hours", umpire & Line Judge had no jurisdiction after match is over (I think).
    Sthing like during working hours, one cant do this & than, after working hours, boss has no control, it's personal time. Boss cant comment/complain about conduct during personal time, unless it adversely effects work performance.
    Some act crazy & shout at the boss, it's a personal thing between them & boss, even if it's done in the office.

I'm not saying it's ok to do it, I dont like Taufik's outbursts either. And like Hcyong & me pointed out, Taufik didnt throw stuff at a direction where it can hit humans.

10. cooler

cooler Regular Member

dont be so silly. Li Mao isn't a korean. Korean gov't would care less about LM's well being. LM is just a foreign consultant. I doubt LM is a citizen of South Korea. I think u r distracting the issue LOL

#50 cooler, Jan 30, 2008
  11. super__gao

i know that. i'm just saying that, if he were fined or w/e in korea then went back to china, nothing would happen to him.

12. xXazn_romeoXx

xXazn_romeoXx Regular Member

North American Technical Director for Oliver Sport
    i really don't understand what the big in depth look would be. obviously what he did was dangerous and wrong, but it resulted in a heated moment, one that could have been provoked. there had been numerous bad calls which were overturned by the umpire, and thus can only lead people to think that something must be wrong with the linesperson that's making the calls. furthermore, the umpire's decision should be final. no one should pressure the umpire to make or change calls. it would put the game into disrepute and throw away the authority figure and power of the umpire. i do believe Lin Dan should be fined, but being a first time basis, and in a unique match situation, a suspension of 1 SS and probation. but Li Mao should get fined and probation as well. the coach should never get off the bench and gesture to the umpire about calls, nor should they argue and yell at the opposing player.

and cancelling tournaments due to bias will result in HUGE lost of revenue/fans and does not fix the problem. if you cancell "all" of the tournaments that have this problem, then all we'd have is tournaments in Malaysia/Indonesia and Singapore, along with AE/Swiss...to only way to fix something like this is to actually have BWF qualified linesperson/umpires that are from all around the world, and they're trained officials with actual courses/classes that kinda thing. that way, you can dismiss officials if anything happens, and actually involve linesperson/umpires into these hearings, instead of nothing, since linespersons are volunteers. Banning Lin Dan for 5-6 SS is pure BS considering how much they earn per SS and the points they earn. you may as well take off 6 SS worth of ranking points and fine Lin Dan the amount of 6 SS winner's prize...and thus putting him out of OG contention and like from #1 in the world to #1000 or something...That's just ridiculous.

13. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Just my 5 sen rupiahs-My personal take..

..well, i remember the HK Open 2006 incident where TH got upset at the call, yelled at the line-judge and then walked off the court:p. After that incident, i remember how infuriated i was at what he did (i know cooler most likely remembers:);)), esp. at how he treated the line-judge, who was a lady:(. I then posted what punishment TH should get although i forgot what type and/or how severe of a punishment he should get.
    Now, looking back, my opinion on the type of punishment TH should get was partly based on emotion and the feeling of embarrassment (esp. as a person born from the same country Taufik is from).

But for this LD's incident, it's a bit hard for me. But based purely on LD's action and to be fair, i also wouldn't mind him getting a penalty, at least, the same severity as what TH got.

Anyway, like cooler wrote, hopefully & i'm sure BWF will have some sort of law or policy to determine the appropriate penalty(ies) for this type of incident. And not everyone will like the outcome, but BWF has to settle this matter. I guess we just have to wait and see what BWF'll decide for all the parties involved.
    And let's just hope that this type of incident (or even more severe ones) won't happen, EVER, again in the future.:cool:

#53 ctjcad, Jan 30, 2008
  14. eaglehelang

Yes I know, I've read the translations from China's press.
    BUT it's BWF or displinary board who gives the punishment, not chinese government. So, it is not abt LD getting punished by China BA or LYB, etc.

If it's less, Taufik will make a fuss & maybe the Indonesia BA too cos Taufik's mis-conduct was less serious. Then there'll be another round of protests., more drama.....And if China goverment defends LD a lot, it would make them look bad as the host of 2008 OG.

15. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    I was referring to LD. And I was referring to another discussion about LD getting in trouble with the law (state law, noot BWF law).

16. super__gao

exactly, because the BWF are the ones who dishes out the punishment, it will be 10023482304920% guaranteed to be badminton related and have nothing to do with the law of any country, which is why i don't understand why people are talking about throwing lin dan in jail.

17. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    Well I think we are diverging from the main discussion. Even if I think LD should be punished, it's a far cry from saying he should be charged in a court of law.

But anyway, if a crime is committed in Korea, whether by Koreans or foreigners, then the alleged criminal can be extradited (if there is such agreement between the countries involved) back to Korea for trial.

18. cooler

cooler Regular Member

ok, i dare korea would do that because this matter will be resolved much faster than BWF. China gov't call in korea's ambassador for a cup of tea, problem will be solved while their cups of tea will still be hot.:D

#58 cooler, Jan 30, 2008
  19. jug8man

jug8man Regular Member

MultiTasked guy, Stress Addict, Leisure Bum, mad c
    Lin Dan... Ban him for life.

The image of him wielding a powerful deadly smashing weapon like the AT700 towards the fragile flashing bald head of Li Mao has sent shock waves thru out the world via media.

This image is now imprinted on all impressionable young minds of the many younger age Lin Dan fans!

Lin Dan should do community service to atone for this social damage he has caused....

Perhaps 60hours of community services doing badminton coaching for America, South Africa, Russia, and the Middle East.

:D

20. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    It's not a question of dare or not dare. They simply don't care. It is just a minor infringement, like a harmless household dispute.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.